Eating for your Genetic Type

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
How would you like to take a simple blood test and receive an "intelligent" diet plan tailored to your genetic makeup that could potentially stop chronic diseases long before they ever emerge? Such is the promise behind the Human Genome Project as discussed in the New York Times article "What Your Genes Want You to Eat," by Bruce Grierson.

Scientists are beginning to acknowledge that diet plays a major role in chronic disease, and may even be responsible for one-third of cancers. However, everyone needs a unique diet because its influence depends on an individual's genetic makeup. And, eating a diet that is particularly wrong for your genetic makeup can cause gene expressions that promote chronic illness. On the other hand, eating an "intelligent" diet that balances your system can prevent such illnesses from occurring.

Under this premise, one person may thrive on a diet of primarily salmon, spinach and olive oil while another may do well on red meat, peanut butter and cheeses.

Although researchers suggest that most people's preferred diets will be similar to the basic diet of plenty of fruits and vegetables recommended by the Department of Agriculture, the implications of such individualized diets are many. Lifespan could potentially be lengthened and many chronic illnesses could become a thing of the past.

Several companies are already offering genetics testing, with some charging as much as $1,500 for a "preventive health profile." However, some say that a widespread approach to "eating right for your genotype" may not be available for two or more decades.

Please visit the New York Times Web site to read the actual article. You will need to register on their site (it's free) to view this important article.

" ... diet is a big factor in chronic disease, responsible, some say, for a third of most types of cancer. Dietary chemicals change the expression of one"s genes and even the genome itself. And -- here"s the key -- the influence of diet on health depends on an individual"s genetic makeup. ... A diet that"s particularly out of balance, nutritional-genomics scientists say, will cause gene expressions that nudge us toward chronic illness -- unless a precisely tailored ""intelligent diet"" is employed to restore the equilibrium.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/05/14/genetic-type-diet.aspx

Interesting you should post this

I just met a new neighbor yesterday who works for a company that agrees with the fact that everyone is different. They do hair analysis to determine what your bodys needs are.

The testing is very cheap ($150 canadian).The difference is that they then try to sell you a supplement that is supposedly custom made for your type.

I have heard about this and was also reading how so many are claiming genetic epilepsy. I can "buy" that the underlying cause might have a genetic predisposition. Yet the genetic nutritional "types" create a clearer picture in my head. Our species have come from many areas of the world, and have not really adapted to new environments or contemporary diets.

We also tend to cook, as mom use to cook, as grandma use to cook. If it was not good for Grandma, then that intolerance might also be passed along.

My best friend works at a place that does this, their focus is allergies but it works the same way. I wish I could get this done for my whole family.

Back
Top Bottom