Emotional trauma stored in the body

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

PTSD is very real and extremely hard to deal with but I CAUTION anyone who thinks they have it or have been diagnosed with it.
PTSD and epilepsy are intertwined a lot more than most realize, and often misdiagnosed as the other. Symptoms are similar, feelings are similar, and there are few doctors who will dig enough to separate them.
Stomach rolling, nausea, grief with no known cause, fear, inability to sleep, 'something' nagging at you but you don't know what. This goes on and on until system overload and you seize. This does not mean you have epilepsy. You may, but if so it's very unlikely you're suffering PTSD. Epilepsy is a neurological disease, and PTSD is (tho it will bring on physical symptoms), a mental health disorder.

Years of research, as well as my own experience, have taught me this immensely.
I went through a situation at six years old that no little girl should ever, but for nine years after had no recollection. One night at 15, BANG! it all came flooding back. I looked into it right away, took myself to a psychiatrist. After two meetings and alot of questions he dx me with PTSD, wrote a presc. and sent me on my way. I hated it but felt secure that it was a doctor's answer and dealt with what I called 'episodes' for nine years.
At age 25 I had my first grand mal, then a second, and after one eeg and mri was diagnosed with E. Epileptic activity. And a lesion. Now surgery.
You'd think a psychiatrist would know how similar the symptoms are and send me to neuro, but no. A traumatic memory coming back from childhood seemed a no-brainer (pardon the pun) for him, case closed. By age 28 we realized my 'episodes' were partials, and when my doc told him it was epilepsy and requested an appt. to go over my old file he refused.

Epileptologist's reason for why my first seizure pulled out that memory and was thought to be PTSD?... 'Because our brain is still forming into our 20's and at that time something connected to create the ideal seizure condition, so strong of a connection that it pulled with it the deepest, biggest, scariest memory in the bank.'
Every partial seizure I've had in 19 years has been fear-based and I freeze, not unlike I did when I was six.

At the end of the day these are very different disorders, and you don't want someone to get it wrong. If I had been dx and put on the right meds in my teens, it's very likely now that I wouldn't be facing surgery. Do your homework, please.

Back
Top Bottom