Epilepsy and diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Has anyone ever been told by their neurologist to avoid certain foods as they could trigger a seizure?
I was told to cut down on the caffine but I average 2 cups of coffee a day, more on weekends.

I also have ulcerative colitis and my GI told me several years ago to cut down on caffine, acidy foods and dairy products.
I don't drink milk but I have cream in my coffee and eat cheese and icecream.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones and my eating habbits havn't effected my health (yet).

Randy

RanMan said:
I was told to cut down on the caffine but I average 2 cups of coffee a day, more on weekends.

Uh.. So you are ignoring the advice :?:

Caffeine definitely affects Stacy's seizure threshold. Her diet plays a big role in her seizure activity. I would imagine that the effect of diet will be more noticable for those who are taking minimal amounts of meds.

No one has ever told me to avoid certain foods. I used to drink alot of coffee but quit cold turkey (to my family's amazement) a little over a year ago because I figured that the caffeine couldn't be helping the panic attacks I was having. I am very careful with what I eat though. With the pesticides, herbicides, hormones, antibiotics and who knows what else that our food supply is doctored with, it worries me that there might be long term consequences. I grow my own vegetables and fruits organically and put them up for the winter. I'm careful to make sure that I don't feed my horse any chemicals because all of my fertilizer comes from him and what goes in must come out. His hay comes from an organic farmer. I buy my milk, beef, pork, chicken and eggs from friends who are certified organic farmers. Like I said, I'm very careful.

Back
Top Bottom