Epilepsy on Today Show

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nice TinasMom!.......

I was happy to see them talk about 'what to do if you witness a seizure' near the end of the vid!

The only thing I might disagree with is the length of time they said was okay before calling the ambulance (5 minutes)...I would have felt better with 4 minutes as their rule there, but nonetheless I'm very happy they are getting the word out!

:rock:

Rebecca's doctor has put the upper limit in writing at 5 minutes.

When I went through seizure training, we were told that if a seizure lasts for 5 minutes you need to call for an ambulance.

The Regional Epilepsy Conference.....

At the conference the Epilepsy Foundation had here in Austin back in August, they set the time at four minutes. The doctors said brain damage could begin to occur at that point...HOWEVER, they also said this time limit was different in many places and an individual would need to expressly request action otherwise (as Robin has had Rebecca do) if so desired.

I, myself, am fine with the four minute marker. That's enough of that crap by then.
:twocents:

Gosh... I don't know what to believe any more. Actually the doctor that wrote this note, told me that hormones and diet don't have any effect on seizures, and seizures don't do any damage to the brain.

Guess I should throw that letter out the window.
GRRRRRR......

That was a nice little report. Hopefully they can do more detailed reports. I've always been told that 4-5 minutes was the average time for a seizure. If a persons seizure lasts more than 5 minutes then medical help is required. Or if the person has multiple seizures together call for medical help.

Presenty, I work with developmentally disabled adults. For some reason, this population has a much higher percentage of people with seizure disorders. Our emergency protocol for calling 911 is as follows:

1) For people who have a history of seizures, 911 is called after 5 minutes or if 2 or more seizures occur together.

2) For people who have no seiziure history, 911 is called after 3 minutes. A person having seizure lasting less than 3 minutes is automatically taken to the ER.

Gosh... I don't know what to believe any more. Actually the doctor that wrote this note, told me that hormones and diet don't have any effect on seizures, and seizures don't do any damage to the brain.

Guess I should throw that letter out the window.
GRRRRRR......

ffae9f61.gif

Sz don't cause brain damage? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
More like throw that doctor out the window!

5 minute call is one thing but also consider the response time for the paramedics. In my neighborhooh it's about 3 minutes, EXCEPT when there are major events, Nascar races, New Years Eve, July 4, most weekend nights.....

Dear Robbin,

I suspect that (as Dr. Gregory House of the TV show "House" would surely say) the doctor is an IDIOT! (I mean what he said about hormones and diet having no effect on seizure frequency.) But then, what do I know? I think I'm am amateur neurologist.

Ron

Last edited:
That was a good segment. Cheers to The Today Show and to Susan Axelrod of CURE. CURE does good work.

Robin.......

I'm of the understanding that the most common factor for incurring brain damage will be loss of an adequate supply of O2 to the brain...

In my case, I usually 'block off' my own air supply and the longer time limit is a big no-no...BUT, multiple seizures in the span of this time where I have come OUT of it enough to BREATHE would seem to be less damaging. What Renee (my wife) has to do during a longer spell is turn me on my side and put a rag on my forehead to try and coax my brain to 'think differently' or 'snap out of it'...not to mention lower my rising temperature.

During the longer spells I will turn blue from lack of oxygen...and this most definitely CAN cause brain damage if it goes on too long! This is what the doctors at the conference were referring to specifically.

Didn't want to alarm.....just inform that I'd heard differently!

And to say I missed it all because we had
no cable, phone, internet!

:(

Well, we did have some cable television to a
degree ~ sporadically. I wanna see it!

::: pouts! :::

I wanna see it!

The link to the video that Tinasmom posted at the start of the thread may be the whole segment! It's quite long. You have to wait for advertisement to finish doing its thing first as usual (I hate MSN video)...but it's worth the wait.

Last edited:
The link to the video that Tinasmom posted at the start of the thread may be the whole segment! It's quite long. You have to wait for advertisement to finish doing its thing first as usual (I hate MSN video)...but it's worth the wait.

That's the problem I can't find it!

jim

thats what got me here, i was on the computer and i must have heard the word seizures as i was working on the computer. since then i have called cure, they got me here, etc.

all i know is i can't wait ontil they start working on finding a fix to this problem because it is really messing up my life. i don't want to talk about all they bad but if others know of ways to deal with this condition and get your life back on track i am all ears.

That's the problem I can't find it!

Hmmmm?......it AND the highlighted "link to " text I supplied both work.....but Tinasmom's latest link isn't accurate I'm afraid (it's something about Janice Dickinson?)....is everything turned on on your end Brainy? I can click on either of those and go straight to the MSNBC site with the videos...it says "after the advertisement your video will begin"...and then the Today Show vid plays.
:ponder:

Speber

Welcome Jim (Resslers)!.....

Nice to meet you! You will find a welath of information on this forum and many good people who are willing to help you find answers.

If you would, please introduce yourself in the 'Foyer' so everyone can get to know you!

Again, welcome!

Hi Jim - Welcome
I think it is "messing" with everyone's life that comes in contact with it.

There are some really good alternative suggestions throughout the forum.
Tons of reading material. Never boring here.... Plus, we are all ears.

Back
Top Bottom