Fever

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I learned something a while back that I think is important for parents to consider when their children are ill. I have three children. I was told when my child was sick that is was important not to allow the fever to get too high. It was the first thing checked at the doctors office and the one thing I always did when any of the three were not feeling well.

I have learned recently how important fever is in the process of ridding the body of the virus or infection. I am going to let you read Dr Mercola's explanation of it. He does it so much better than I.

A basic fever, one due to minor bacterial or viral illness, can be an expression of the immune system working at its best. Given that most animals (vertebrates anyway) mount a fever in response to illness, it's likely that humans have preserved this evolutionary response because it improves survival. Some research supports this theory; animal studies show when fever is blocked, survival rates from infection decline.
After you read it, do some more searching on the subject, and tell me what you think. I think I was mislead when my children were small. I wonder now what havoc I have caused in each of their medical situations.

from the original article:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/child_health/fever.html

Last edited:
Your first link required me to register with the site. The second one had some pretty pictures, but I'm not sure what it had to do with the subject of your post.

My children's pediatrician says not to worry about fevers (ie. not necessary to administer fever reducers/meds) unless they go over 102 degrees F and that 104F is when things get critical.

Sorry about that Bernard. I guess I am a bit tired and that does not work well with too many pages open.

I believe I fixed the issue, and found the orginal article.

Good article, I really liked the Herbal section. The pediatrician we have now told me that a fever is a sign of the body fighting off an infection and not to worry unless it goes too high. I've always worried about seizures because when I was 2, I had a seizure (then called convulsion) at 102. It's strange but I remember being in the hospital and they soaked towels in bowls of ice water and alcohol and then wiped my body down with them. Maybe I remember this because of the smell of alcohol and the cold towels.

I was always taught to give Children's Tylenol to make the fever go down. In fact if I ever mentioned that it was 100-101º I was asked when the last dose of Tylenol was. Crazy.

It was even suggested that I give Tylenol before going in for vaccinations, so that it was already in the childs system, and there wouldn't be such a reaction. I have since learned that this shuts down the bodies ability to detox and then the thimerisol and other manmade ingredients in the vaccine, are free to roam.

Back
Top Bottom