Fever can unlock autism's grip: study

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Fever can unlock autism's grip: study

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Fever can temporarily unlock autism's grip on children, a finding that could shed light on the roots of the condition and perhaps provide clues for treatment, researchers reported on Monday.

It appears that fever restores nerve cell communications in regions of the autistic brain, restoring a child's ability to interact and socialize during the fever, the study said.

"The results of this study are important because they show us that the autistic brain is plastic, or capable of altering current connections and forming new ones in response to different experiences or conditions," said Dr. Andrew Zimmerman, a pediatric neurologist at Baltimore's Kennedy Krieger Institute, who was one of the study authors.

The study, published in the journal Pediatrics, was based on 30 children with autism aged 2 to 18 who were observed during and after a fever of at least 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

More than 80 percent of those with fever showed some improvements in behavior during it and 30 percent had dramatic improvements, the researchers said. The change involved things like longer concentration spans, more talking, improved eye contact and better overall relations with adults and other children. ...

"The results of this study are important because they show us that the autistic brain is plastic, or capable of altering current connections and forming new ones in response to different experiences or conditions," said Dr. Andrew Zimmerman

Great googly moogly! Of course the autistic brain has plasticity. All brains have plasticity! That's why EEG neurofeedback works.

EEG Spectrum said:
The purpose of this study was to determine if Neurofeedback is efficacious for individuals in the Autism spectrum. ...

Our study involved the training of 16 individuals using Neurofeedback, applying a number of assessment processes, and comparing those trained with 16 non-trained individuals.

Eighty eight percent of those trained reduced their levels of autism within months (measured by Rimland’s ATEC check-list) - on average 26% compared with control group on average of less than 5%. ...

When compared with other treatment modalities using the Rimland Treatment Effectiveness Survey, Neurofeedback, even in early comparison, is rated on a par with Occupational therapy, surpassed to date only by Behavior Modification and Speech therapies.

Efficacy of Neurofeedback in the Autistic Spectrum

This goes hand in hand with what others are seeing in the Autism forums. That when the body is rid of certain viruses it can begin to heal itself. That is along with a nutritional plan that is also healing the internal workings. I would think that in certain situations a temperature would help kill off certain viruses.

This goes to show that taking meds to kill temps isn't always the best line of defense. We give our children tylenol even before they get a vaccine, or when ever they feel a little bit warm. When in fact we should allow the body to do what it does effectively with fever and kill those germs that are invading the system.

Sometimes the body holds on to these viruses and with a broken immune system, either through genetics or nutritionally induced it can cause multiple problems, one of which is Autism Spectrum Disorder.

This of course is my opinion.

Great googly moogly! Of course the autistic brain has plasticity. All brains have plasticity! That's why EEG neurofeedback works.

You had me rip-roaring laughing off the
seat of my pants! Sometimes it makes
you wonder about their findings!

:roflmao: :agree: :roflmao:

I'm sorry, I found that to be hilarious!
We need a Homer Simpson Icon with
Mr. T ... D'oh!

But .... I will contain myself from any
further comments other than "D'oh!"

:noevil:

However they're finding connections
with Angelman's & Autism = Epilepsy &
Temporal Lobe.

Back
Top Bottom