[Info] Gabapentin side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mladams

New
Reaction score
All,

I'm new to this forum because I never actually thought I had epilepsy. My neurologist has been trying medication to treat migraines which, surprise surprise, are treated with the same meds. But I read a story on this forum and it sounded so much like what I've been dealing with that I think it's more than just Migraines.

I tried Depakote so far and that messed with my head so I had to stop taking it. Now I'm on Gabapentin. I just started taking it last night and so far the only side effect I noticed was that I was a bit sleepy and dizzy, maybe a little out of it in the morning. I'm not on the full dosage yet, that won't happen for a little while yet but I did have some questions about side effects.

I was on SSRI's a few years ago and just like they do with most guys they caused some pretty harsh sexual side effects that I really couldn't deal with. So I discontinued them. Later as I started seeing a neurologist I told her I didn't want to be on meds that could cause those issues. She started me on Depakote and thankfully no detectable problems there, just in my head lol.

So now I'm off the Depakote and starting Gabapentin and I've read there could be side effects with this medication. So I was hoping that some guys on here or anyone who's known a guy taking this medication could tell me about their experiences. Anything is really appreciated.

Thanks

Not a guy, and my daughter who took it is not a guy... but her side effects, other than new and increasing seizures, was it caused MAJOR suicidal tendencies. The top 11 prescribed drugs are highlighted in this area. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that discusses this.

I had migraines for 30+ yrs. I tried with on and off success, every known med. The only thing left was to be put on a daily prescription... which I turned down.
I sought alternative therapies. Found an MD, not on my insurance plan, that suggested Ionic Magnesium at a high does of about 800 mg. I have not had a migraine in 6 yrs.

Just offering a natural alternative that worked for me. No side effects.
Though my conventional doctors don't seem to be interested in my positive results.

Thanks

Thank you both of you for responding so quickly to my posts. You know the one thing I did notice was that every time I take a magnesium and vitamin B supplement together things seem to get better for a while. Maybe I just need to pursue that a little bit more.

Again I really appreciate the replies and anyone else who has any information it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom