How the Bladder and Digestion alter the Nervous System.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
"We often tend to focus on just one organ, but here we see how an abnormal organ affects the whole organism," said behavioral scientist Rita J. Valentino, Ph.D., of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, who led the research describing how an overactive bladder altered nervous system activity in animals.

Building on their previous investigations of the neural circuits between the bladder and the brain, the researchers found that two small brain structures, the Barrington's nucleus and the locus ceruleus, developed abnormal activity as a result of the bladder obstruction. In particular, the locus ceruleus showed persistently high activity, and this resulted in an abnormal electroencephalogram (EEG) recorded from the cortex, the broad mass of the brain that governs higher-level functions. In people, abnormally high activity in the cortex may result in disordered sleep, anxiety and difficulty in concentrating.

Furthermore, she added, in addition to overactive bladder, other visceral diseases, such as irritable bowel disorder, may also affect the same neural circuitry, with similar neurobehavioral consequences.

http://w3.newsmax.com/blaylock/17a.cfm?s=al&promo_code=66CF-1

Robin, when I click your link, I get an advertisement for Dr. Blaylock's newsletter, not the article you are referencing. Here's the original press release:
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia said:
Findings on Bladder-Brain Link May Point to Better Treatments for Problems in Sleep, Attention

PHILADELPHIA, July 29 -- Bladder problems may leave a mark on the brain, by changing patterns of brain activity, possibly contributing to disrupted sleep and problems with attention. For one in six Americans who have overactive bladder, the involuntary bladder contractions that often trigger more frequent urges to urinate, such mind-body connections may be of more than academic interest.

"We often tend to focus on just one organ, but here we see how an abnormal organ affects the whole organism," said behavioral scientist Rita J. Valentino, Ph.D., of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, who led the research describing how an overactive bladder altered nervous system activity in animals.

The study appeared in the July 21 online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Overactive bladder, while it occurs in a variety of conditions in both adults and children, is especially prevalent among elderly men, in whom an enlarged prostate gland partially obstructs the flow of urine and makes bladder muscles contract involuntarily. Valentino's research team mimicked the condition in an animal model by surgically constricting the outlet of urine from rats' bladders.

Building on their previous investigations of the neural circuits between the bladder and the brain, the researchers found that two small brain structures, the Barrington's nucleus and the locus ceruleus, developed abnormal activity as a result of the bladder obstruction. In particular, the locus ceruleus showed persistently high activity, and this resulted in an abnormal electroencephalogram (EEG) recorded from the cortex, the broad mass of the brain that governs higher-level functions. In people, abnormally high activity in the cortex may result in disordered sleep, anxiety and difficulty in concentrating.

Valentino said further studies are necessary to analyze the direct connections between heightened brain activity and specific behaviors, but added that the brain circuits involving the locus ceruleus might be a useful target for drugs to improve attention and sleep patterns in patients with bladder dysfunctions.

Furthermore, she added, in addition to overactive bladder, other visceral diseases, such as irritable bowel disorder, may also affect the same neural circuitry, with similar neurobehavioral consequences.

The National Institutes of Health provided grant support for this research. Valentino's co-authors, all from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, were Stephen A. Zderic, M.D.; Elizabeth Rickenbacher, Madelyn A. Baez, Lyman Hale, and Steven C. Leiser.

About The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia was founded in 1855 as the nation's first pediatric hospital. Through its long-standing commitment to providing exceptional patient care, training new generations of pediatric healthcare professionals and pioneering major research initiatives, Children's Hospital has fostered many discoveries that have benefited children worldwide. Its pediatric research program is among the largest in the country, ranking third in National Institutes of Health funding. In addition, its unique family-centered care and public service programs have brought the 430-bed hospital recognition as a leading advocate for children and adolescents. For more information, visit http://www.chop.edu.
Findings On Bladder-brain Link May Point To Better Treatments For Problems In Sleep, Attention

Very interesting stuff! I wonder if this might explain why Stacy tends to have seizures if she wakes up ~4-5am to urinate and then go back to sleep afterwards.

Rebecca also had bladder issues when she began having seizures. She had incontenance when ever she got over excited. She also has never had a great connection as a child between the feeling of needing to go and the act itself. In fact she would always come out and get juice, and before drinking it, she would run to the bathroom.

Neurofeedback has helped to change this. In fact as I remember, this was one of the questions when she began the treatment. The connection is rather interesting.

(Thanks Bernard for fixing the link... )

Maybe these ideas can help if you suspect a problem with your bladder...

Harvard Medical School said:
... Medical devices, medications, and surgical procedures have been developed to treat urinary incontinence. Depending upon the type and seriousness of the problem, one or more may be right for you. But many clinicians start by recommending a trial of bladder control training. This includes learning to urinate on a schedule (timed voiding), pelvic muscle exercises (Kegels), and sometimes biofeedback. Your clinician may also suggest taking a medication and limiting fluids to no more than 6–8 cups per day from all sources while you’re learning to control your bladder.

Bladder control training can be especially helpful with urge incontinence — the sudden and overwhelming need to urinate, sometimes accompanied by involuntary loss of urine on the way to the bathroom. During urge incontinence, the muscle surrounding the bladder contracts too soon, telling your brain that you must go, even when your bladder isn’t full. Urinating every time you get the urge only worsens the problem; it teaches the bladder to hold smaller and smaller amounts of urine. Bladder control training helps increase bladder capacity. ...

Bladder control training for urinary incontinence

I believe I read years ago that there is a hormone that has to be developed that tells your brain that there is a connection between the feeling and the need. I have been wondering if the problems with adrenal glands can also be what might affect this particular hormone.
Damage to the central control panel, creating issues with many functions of the body.

Again.. just a thought.

From the page I mentioned previously:
What goes wrong?

Urinary continence relies on a complex process involving the brain, nerves, and muscles. When the bladder is full, nerves send the brain a message that it’s time to urinate. Normally, the ringlike sphincter muscle surrounding the urethra (the tube that carries urine from the bladder and out of the body) helps hold the urine back until you reach the bathroom. Once you’re there, the brain signals the sphincter to relax (to let the urine out) and tells the muscle surrounding the bladder (the detrusor muscle) to squeeze the urine out.

If any step in this process goes wrong, incontinence can result. For example, if muscles in the pelvic area are too weak to support the bladder and other nearby organs, urine may leak out when you exercise, laugh, cough, sneeze, or otherwise put pressure on the bladder. This is called stress incontinence. Urge incontinence is thought to result from an overactive detrusor muscle that causes the bladder to go into spasm. It’s exacerbated by poor tone in the urethra. Postmenopausal women often have both types — so-called mixed incontinence.

When I was younger I'd noticed that after a seizure my bladder would feel tingly & I'd have to pee. Once I became aware of that I was aware that I was more likely to have a seizure if I'd held a full bladder for any length of time.

Hi Bernard

Thank you very much for that needed information. Most people do not like to talk about bladder problems. Talk is much needed for any problem we deal with as epileptics.

When I was a lot younger, I was always getting UTI or urinary tract infections. Then a doctor told me to take cranberries or cranberry juice to prevent it. It Works!! I am a diabetic as well as an epileptic and that is one of the major problems diabetics have. Drinking the cranberry juice gave me to much sugar. Then my husband found cranberries in the store. I put some in my oatmeal in the morning while it is cooking. That swells them up, to make them better. My husband and son do not like the taste of cranberries. I love them and they are a natural way to prevent UTI's.

Hi Bernard

Thank you very much for that needed information. Most people do not like to talk about bladder problems. Talk is much needed for any problem we deal with as epileptics.

When I was a lot younger, I was always getting UTI or urinary tract infections. Then a doctor told me to take cranberries or cranberry juice to prevent it. It Works!! I am a diabetic as well as an epileptic and that is one of the major problems diabetics have. Drinking the cranberry juice gave me to much sugar. Then my husband found cranberries in the store. I put some in my oatmeal in the morning while it is cooking. That swells them up, to make them better. My husband and son do not like the taste of cranberries. I love them and they are a natural way to prevent UTI's.
I found the sugar in cranberry juice was too much for me too! The supplement form helped to pretty much put an end to my bladder infections.
The irritation in the bladder is enough to set off the "behaviors" noted in the articles, which in turn may trigger seizures in someone who already has a low seizure threshold.

Zoe

You say that there is a supplement form? Please tell me what it is.

Zoe -- A Question ... (been this way for years)

In addendum with Zoe, my Physician also recommended
I be on cranberries, especially the juice. Not only did
I develop allergies, but it provoked seizures. I never did
understand why...

I knew there was a thread on this topic ... but now it had
been bought back up ...

Zoe? What causes this? I am curious (not the allergies,
because some folks are just plain allergic to some foods,
like peanuts/peanut butter, etc) - as why cranberries
would lower seizure thresholds / or / provoke seizures?

I had a lot of trouble finding this information anywhere
and had been curious about it. The only seizures I had
in result of this (when I was drinking it) would be lapsing
into unconscious then into mild tonic clonic; or is this
merely a reaction to the allergy? But either way, the Doctor
just had me to discontinue drinking it and labeled it as an
allergic reaction and gave me the orders to stay away
from cranberries (of all types).

In addendum with Zoe, my Physician also recommended
I be on cranberries, especially the juice. Not only did
I develop allergies, but it provoked seizures. I never did
understand why...

I knew there was a thread on this topic ... but now it had
been bought back up ...

Zoe? What causes this? I am curious (not the allergies,
because some folks are just plain allergic to some foods,
like peanuts/peanut butter, etc) - as why cranberries
would lower seizure thresholds / or / provoke seizures?

I had a lot of trouble finding this information anywhere
and had been curious about it. The only seizures I had
in result of this (when I was drinking it) would be lapsing
into unconscious then into mild tonic clonic; or is this
merely a reaction to the allergy? But either way, the Doctor
just had me to discontinue drinking it and labeled it as an
allergic reaction and gave me the orders to stay away
from cranberries (of all types).

I don't know, Sharon,
I found the juice irritating but not the supplements. Maybe the juice is too acidic? Even with no sugar added it didn't agree with me. I'm not sure why but let's look into it.

Hi Zoe

Everyone is different as to how foods affect us and our epilepsy. Just handle it for your seizures.

Hi Zoe

Everyone is different as to how foods affect us and our epilepsy. Just handle it for your seizures.

You're right. We can't get locked into one method for all.There are too many variables.

BINGO!

Well put and well said, since all of our
chemistry and hematology and make up
differs, and like Zoe remarked, too many
variables. That very well may conclude
the conclusions there... so just scratch
that..

It would be just like anti-epileptic drugs,
what works for so and so doesn't neces-
sarily going to work for John Doe over
there or Suzy Q over here. We are all
unique ... You do have a valid point there!

Excellent catch there!

My husband found natural cranberries. It does not have the sugar in it. However, I had stomach aches, I could not believe. Today, I did not take it and my stomach did not have any problems.

However, everyone is different. I will take some cranberries once a week. I was taking them everyday. I believe that is the problem. All fruit has some sugar in it.

Try a google search on "cranberries" "stomach ache" Maybe its something else in the berries.

Back
Top Bottom