How Overactive Membrane Ion Channels Influence Asthma and Other Disorders

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
At first glance, asthma and epilepsy don’t seem to have much in common: one is a neurological disorder, the other a breathing problem. But according to a new model of asthma by Ba Hoang, MD, PhD, Stephen Levine, PhD and colleagues, published in Medical Hypotheses in 2006, asthma symptoms may be viewed as a hyper-excitability condition of the airway that is actually kindled in a manner similar to epilepsy, and can be triggered by a variety of endogenous and environmental factors

http://www.nutricology.com/March-2008-In-Focus-Membrane-Ion-Channels-sp-71.html

That's interesting because I've always heard that asthma and eczema are highly related and eczema is thought to be linked to an overactive response by the body's immune system. Most people outgrow eczema (as their systems 'unkindle' I suppose).

That is very true!

Bernard, A few years ago after my seizures had started recurringhad noticed an increase in asthma related problems and I had never had asthma before! Also on another note is people who have such physical and severe jerking seizures all their lives seems to start taking a toll on their body with chronic pain too!
David

I am also learning so much about fibro. and stenosis!

It is just like there is some link between fibromyalgia and my stenosis which has caused a great deal of pain and also problems with my migraines and epilepsy everyday especially when I have severe flare ups! It definitely makes things worse all around! That is why I am learning about having heallthy neurons inthe brain by changing my diet.
David

Back
Top Bottom