!Iimp.article: Seizures & Celiac!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Im very interested in this and took the kids to an allergist last week. He refused to test them as I couldnt be specific what they were allergic too. . I will naturally keep you all posted.

Thank you again
Happy and healthy 2009!!
joan*

Hey Joan,
Here's another article to check out. I haven't read it yet. Keep in mind that someone can have gluten intolerance and not have any allergies. Look at all the factors involved.
:mrt:

[PDF] Is Your Child Gluten Intolerant? Gluten intolerance is now known ...File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Symptoms of gluten intolerance can be different in children than in adults. ... Kidney stones, seizures and osteoporosis may result from ...
Is your child gluten intolerant

Last edited by a moderator:
Allergies can develop and spread insidiously over time. The spreading phenomenon starts once a person becomes sensitized, especially under stress when the immune system is suppressed, thus, over time he develops sensitivity to many other foods, moulds, Candida or other compounds. In addition, he has a multitude of vitamin deficiencies. It is as though the whole system has broken down. Once sensitized, any re-exposure will cause quicker and more frequent violent reactions.

Powerful drugs prescribed by doctors for millions of patients boasts numerous side effects because they are designed to block certain biochemical pathways to mask or treat symptom. By ignoring the underlying cause in using band-aid medicine, the cause is left to worsen and inevitably leave new symptoms in its wake. Drugs have effects of their own which induces further nutrient deficiencies, and thereby potentiating the decline in health of the patient.

...allergies are often unrecognized because they are much more insidious and extensive. Basically allergy can take the form of almost any chronic diseases such as headaches, arthritis, angina, musculoskeletal problems, depression, ulcerative colitis etc. Allergies do not cause every disease, but it can be involved in almost any disease.

Allergies can develop and spread insidiously over time. We all know of people who could eat certain foods before or be exposed to perfume or smells that they are now longer able to tolerate or stand. The diet becomes more and more restrictive over time! The chemicals or smells that you could previously tolerate before now sends you into a fit of fatigue, dizziness or mental nut case!
The causes of allergies are multifactorial. Allergy is the result of a number of insults to the body where the body becomes sensitized (usually under stress) on exposure to an allergen. The most common causes are dietary, STRESS and lifestyle factors that break down your immune system and barrier defenses. Specifically, genetic susceptibility, some child-rearing practices, barrier function default and toxic overload are in varying degrees responsible for the development and continuation of allergy and sensitivity. There is hardly any human disease or condition in which allergic factors are not involved.
Allergic load is the amount of chemicals, food allergens and inhalant pollutants that a person can be exposed to before symptoms appear. It is the sum total of toxicity (toxic load) accumulated in the body before systems in the body break down, producing symptoms and alerting you to the fact that something is wrong.

Breakthrough for allergy sufferers

I highly suggest that you read this whole article. Your health depends on it.

Breakthrough for allergy sufferers

I highly suggest that you read this whole article. Your health depends on it.

Right on! But it is also important to recognize that acquired sensitivities are not the same as inborn errors responsible for allergies. Equally important, is to not think of one as more "real" or valid, than the other. The symptoms of either can be identical in some cases as well as life threatening.

Thats kinda why Im stuck as Im not sure where we fall. I was hoping the experts to give me a nudge in the correct direction. I know my son responded to wheat, yeast, gluten a few years ago. Dairy doesnt seem to be an issue. We had him tested but it was before the E showed up.

Ive been going between the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and the Low Glycemic Index Diet. I know there "something: gpoing on in his gut. Hes overthin, dark circles and always constipated. I really dont want to start a new way of eating, find I picked wrong and have to start the kids over. He will get to a point of sturborn and I try and not get him there. Id also like to be as less strict as possible to make for easier living for them.

For now, Im going to start cutting out the glutens. We eat pretty clean here but there are still a few thing we could do better with.

Again thanks for the info and keep it coming
joan*

Thats kinda why Im stuck as Im not sure where we fall. I was hoping the experts to give me a nudge in the correct direction. I know my son responded to wheat, yeast, gluten a few years ago. Dairy doesnt seem to be an issue. We had him tested but it was before the E showed up.
joan*
I am looking for more information on "acquired" gluten sensitivity. Mine is from antibiotics damaging my digestive tract-can no longer make all the enzymes needed for proper digestion. Even if your son doesn't test out as having celiac disease or gluten intolerance, he may still be gluten intolerant.
There's more solid information on Dr. Lewey's site about this.
I posted somewhere else a study showing that it may develop in children if gluten containing foods are introduced into their diet at too young an age. There are so many factors to consider in this. We just have to keep exploring 'til we find what works.
It is difficult to stay with any of these diets, for adults as well as kids. I did pretty well on the specific carbohydrate diet, though found it a bit too restrictive for me. I hear it has been useful for others who did not respond well to the gluten free diet. The SCD may be the best shot for those with more symptoms. The key, for me, was to plan well in advance on the diet. I needed to have my meals and take along snacks all figured out and made up on schedule to keep with the diet. Otherwise, I get so hungry I'll end up eating food that isn't good for me. Donna Korn has a book out on celiac disease and kids with a lot of suggestions you may find useful, whichever diet you decide to use. I found it in the library.
Something to keep in mind if you are having your son tested; if he goes on a low or gluten free diet, it may ease his symptoms and then any testing won't show up that he has the gluten sensitivity.
I'm being an information junkie tonight. This abstract below is from a new research study on seizures and gluten intolerance.

1: J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2008 Dec;17(4):379-82.

How frequent is celiac disease among epileptic patients?

Emami MH, Taheri H, Kohestani S, Chitsaz A, Etemadifar M, Karimi S, Eshagi MA,
Hashemi M.

Isfahan University of Medical Sciences (UMS) and Poursina Hakim Institute (PHRI),
Isfahan, Iran; Email: taheri@edc.mui.ac.ir.

BACKGROUND. A variety of neurological disorders have been reported in association
with celiac disease (CD) including epilepsy, ataxia, neuropathy and multifocal
leucoencephalopathy. The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of CD
among epileptic patients. METHODS. Our study population consisted of 108
consecutive unexplained epileptic patients from Epilepsy Clinics. Patients who
were able to give informed consent were invited to undergo screening for CD in a
gastroenterology clinic. The diagnosis of CD was determined by IgA anti-tissue
transglutaminase (t-TG) antibodies and by small intestine biopsy. Histopathologic
changes were interpreted according to the Marsh classification. RESULTS. A total
of 108 consecutive epileptic patients (72 females, 36 males) ranging from 2-64
years (mean: 23.44, SD: 12.1) were studied. Positive IgA anti t-TG were detected
in 4 of 108 epileptic patients (3.7%), while the known prevalence of CD in the
study area was 0.6%.The intestinal biopsy confirmed the diagnosis of CD in three
patients and was interpreted as Marsh I. In the other patient, small intestinal
biopsy indicated only slightly increased number of intraepithelial lymphocytes.
There was a significant difference between patients with CD and without CD for
two symptoms: diarrhea and aphtous lesions (p<0.05). CONCLUSION. Prevalence of CD
was increased among patients with epilepsy of unknown etiology. It is important
to investigate CD in any patient with idiopathic epilepsy even in the absence of
digestive symptoms.
PMID: 19104696 [PubMed - in process]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

(((Zoe)))) Thats AOL for hugs * Thank you. Im an information junkie too. NOT a bad way to be lol

Ive made an appointmnt with a gastro guy and we shall see. But he advised as you did, to keep the diet as it is till we can see whats going on.

If you look at this, in just the right way, in the right light, and with just the right tilt of your head? E is really very interesting to research.

joan*

(((Zoe)))) Thats AOL for hugs * Thank you. Im an information junkie too. NOT a bad way to be lol

Ive made an appointmnt with a gastro guy and we shall see. But he advised as you did, to keep the diet as it is till we can see whats going on.

If you look at this, in just the right way, in the right light, and with just the right tilt of your head? E is really very interesting to research.

joan*

Hi Joan,
And hugs to you ! Do check out my new post on the gluten docs. They have a clinic in CA and take gluten sensitivity very seriously. It may be many times more common than celiac disease. The blog posts they have there will feed your "information addiction" too. This should help clarify why people may have neurological disorders, like seizures, from gluten sensitivity when they don't have celiac disease or any abnormal results from the standard testing. Keep us posted on how it goes with the GI doc. :mrt::hello:

Higher Rates of Heart Condition for Some Celiac Kids
Celiac.com 04/20/2009 - Faced with cases of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy that seemed to coincide with celiac disease, a team of Turkish researchers recently set out to determine if a possible connection exists between the two conditions.

The team was made up of Tugcin B. Polat, Nafiye Urganci, Yalim Yalcin, Cenap Zeybek, Celal Akdeniz, Abdullah Erdem, Elnur Imanov, and Ahmet Celebi, affiliated with the Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Dr. Siyami Ersek Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Hospital, and/or with the Clinic of Pediatrics, Sisli Etfal Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.

To date, little has been studied about cardiac function specifically as it relates to celiac disease. The researchers undertook their study to assess cardiac functions using Tissue Doppler Echocardiography in patients with celiac disease.

The team evaluated 45 clinically stable patients. the time of echocardiographic evaluation, 25 patients showed positive serum IgA Antiendomysial Antibody levels (Group 1), 20 patients showed negative serum IgA Antiendomysial Antibody levels (Group 2). 30 healthy, disease-free children served as a control group.

Group 1 showed substantially lower myocardial systolic wave velocity of the mitral annulus (p < 0.001), while Group 2 showed slightly longer myocardial precontraction and contraction times compared to controls (p = 0.015, p = 0.044, respectively).

Researchers noted a negative association between the serum IgA Antiendomysial Antibody levels and myocardial systolic wave levels for all subjects (r =−0.633; p < 0.001). A myocardial systolic wave velocity of <8.9 cm/s showed 92% sensitivity and 80% specificity in anticipating patients with positive serum IgA Anti-endomysial Antibody levels.

The team concluded that children with celiac disease coupled with prominent serum IgA Anti-endomysial antibody reactivity, show higher rates of subclinical systolic dysfunction of the left ventricle. They also noted that Tissue Doppler echocardiography offers a helpful quantifiable indicator for cardiac monitoring of disease during follow up.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/2179...n-for-Some-Celiac-Kids/Page1.html/print/21792

Celiac Affects Many Organs

Celiac disease is considered a multisystem disease, which means that it can affect a great number of organs and tissues. It is also important to know that any number of conditions may be the presenting feature of the disease. For example, the first symptom may be a seizure, or infertility, or even a migraine headache. This is why doctors often fail to make the link

The main problem is the lack of options for patients suffering
from chronic conditions and diseases that are difficult to diagnose.
These patients do not get the help they need in many instances, and
often, they end up dispiritedly living with these mystery diseases and
chronic illnesses.

Disorders That Stem From Celiac Disease
Over time, people with celiac disease often develop other autoimmune disorders, especially when celiac begins in childhood. These disordres include:
*Hashimoto's thyroiditis (hypothyroidism)
*Type 1 diabetes
*Sjorgren's syndrome (dry mouth and eyes)
*Dermatitis herpetiformis (intensely itchy skin with blisters)
*Alopecia areata (loss of some or all hair)

In most cases, avoiding gluten prevents these additional autoimmune diseases from developing.

Dr Blaylock Wellness Report May 2009

Last edited:
Celiac Disease Skyrockets: Up 400% in the last 50 years

Yes,
From what I'm reading, looks like it is our processed food doing us in on a global scale!
There's another type of fermentation process, that may have been used earlier, that will break down gluten, thus leaving the glutinous foods safe to eat. It is longer and not "convient," but at what cost?

http://www.celiac.com/articles/752/...lerated-by-Celiac-Disease-Patients/Page1.html
I think the original study was done decades ago, can't find it right now.

Back
Top Bottom