Intelligence And Rhythmic Accuracy Go Hand In Hand

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080416100459.htm
Researchers at the medical university Karolinska Institutet and Umeå University have now demonstrated a correlation between general intelligence and the ability to tap out a simple regular rhythm. They stress that the task subjects performed had nothing to do with any musical rhythmic sense but simply measured the capacity for rhythmic accuracy. Those who scored highest on intelligence tests also had least variation in the regular rhythm they tapped out in the experiment.

Practice your rhythm folks - get tapping

I'm gonna guess that rhythmic accuracy is just an indicator of optimal brain functioning and intelligence is a byproduct of that. I imagine that with EEG neurofeedback training, people can achieve better rhythmic accuracy, but it won't make them (immediately) more intelligent.

HA HA!......the rhythm section rules!....

:rock:

and by optimal brain functioning we're talking memory, listening and ability to focus, reflect etc etc

rhythmic accuracy in the sense that u hear a variation of claps per say (maybe 30 seconds) and have to clap it back as accurately as possible.

That just sounds like improved motor skills...

...which is still an improvement!

I think the implied 'intelligence' must refer to more.

The other extreme???

Interesting, but I have seen severely mentally handicapped people who constantly 'bang' out a rhythm as steady as can be. Sometimes the actions of the opposite ends of the intelligence range are pretty similar. Specialization? Extreme focus? ???

:ponder:

Good point!....

My neighbor's oldest son has Down's syndrome and can keep an ominously accurate beat.

His 'thing' is to play a drum...and curiously enough, I could swear it's EXACTLY the same tempo every time...no matter what day of the week!

Very interesting.
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom