[Info] Intuitive Colorimeter

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
The boy whose blue-tinted glasses have allowed him to read properly for the first time

Click me ----> Source

As a patient will respond differently to each hue, Prof Wilkins developed the Intuitive Colorimeter, a testing device that diagnoses the exact colour an individual needs.
Patients are asked to read text on a machine that can generate 110,000 different hues. The correct shade will allow the patient to read clearly. This information is used to make the right tint of coloured lens.
Tom's lenses are a dark, turquoise blue. When he first put on his glasses, he felt emotional. 'Suddenly, when I looked at a book, I could see how I should always have been able to see.'
By doing three hours of extra work after school every night, Tom passed ten GCSEs, with one A and three Bs. 'Mum cried when I got my results,' he says.
Precision tints not only help sufferers to read but also reduce eye strain and headaches. They have been shown to help dyslexics, migraine and photosensitive epilepsy sufferers and some children with autism.

Google is your friend --->[ame="http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=v9v&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=Intuitive+Colorimeter+epilepsy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai="]MORE![/ame]

Oh, how

VERY COOL, BB!!!!

It's hard to imagine that the hues could do soooo much for someone. Honestly, I never thought that something like this could help in such a fashion for a person with reading problems.........seizures and migraines, even autism yes.......but reading? That's cool!

Very interesting. I wonder what relationship, if any, this might have with the z1 glasses. Maybe they just stumbled upon a hue that is particularly helpful to a certain spectrum of people.

I know florescent lights are a night mare for some people to deal with, this device determines the color spectrum needed, blue is just one. The history of this research may be quite interesting.
Photosensitive people may want to get more information on this. Imagine working in offices again or just shopping in (ugh!! *shiver*) Wal-Mart.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/intuitive-colorimeter-9053/#post91511

From what I've been able to find, this seems to be new and only available in the UK. BooHiss! I was hoping we could find an optician locally who has this, so we can get the right coloured lenses for partner.

You can go to an optometrist or opthamologist to do it. An optician duty is to fit the frames and cut the lenses. They can suggest things based of what the optometrist prescriptions say.

The doctors should still have knowledge on this subject.

typo on my part -- I was looking at optometrists when I did the online search (just double-checked).

They do something similar in an eye test anyway? I don't recall having any tests like that when I last went a few years ago.

They dont do them for the general public, as the ones i have seen take about an hour or more. its booked as an independant appoinments, and they just go through a color spectrum with you. one with the lights off, and one with them on. They combine tests for colour blindness in there too.

I guess if you think about it,
There would be Colour blindnes, colour normality, colour deficincey *me*color sensitvity, and colour hypersensitivity.

So if there is one side of the spectrum, there would be another.

From what I've been able to find, this seems to be new and only available in the UK. BooHiss! I was hoping we could find an optician locally who has this, so we can get the right coloured lenses for partner.

There are several places in the U.S. which have this device and do the testing and making of the tinted lenses. Here is one example:

Dr. Charles Shearer
517 Lincolnway
Mishawaka, Indiana

574-255-6363 (8:30 AM to 5:00 PM)
1-800-348-2225 on Wednesdays

You can call the 1-800 number to inquire where other U.S. Intuitive Colorimeter testing centers are.

If anyone knows of a place in Canada, PLEASE let me know. The one above is the closest to where I live and that is still an 8 1/2-hour drive.

Here is a FREE possible remedy for all those computer users who have difficulty staring at a computer monitor. I haven't been here long enough to post the actual URL so you will have to edit it somewhat (sorry): musatcha.com/software/ColorFilter

Last edited:
To Mellontes

Hi - I'm in Ottawa and trying to get the equipment into Canada. I will be going to the UK in April to meet with the company and researchers. We need this here but the demand does not yet justify the costs to get it Health Canada approved. There are alternatives though, Irlen (been there, done that), Chromagen, just coming into Canada but only in Toronto now, and what I am doing in the interim, is Thomson Software Solutions Colour Screener Pro. I can use the software to screen and select the colour (in a dark room) and the process is similar to the Colorimeter, but using a calibrated monitor. I am waiting for my calibration lenses to arrive any day now so I can get my monitor to match the tinting labs.
BTW, this technology, precision colour to reduce visual stress, was first studied in the UK for assisting people with epilepsy. It moved from there to migraines and now fully entrenched in the UK education system for visual stress in learning disabilities. Google Arnold Wilkins at the University of Essex to see all his work and more information.
There you go - where we are now...
Karen

Hi - I'm in Ottawa and trying to get the equipment into Canada. I will be going to the UK in April to meet with the company and researchers. We need this here but the demand does not yet justify the costs to get it Health Canada approved. There are alternatives though, Irlen (been there, done that), Chromagen, just coming into Canada but only in Toronto now, and what I am doing in the interim, is Thomson Software Solutions Colour Screener Pro. I can use the software to screen and select the colour (in a dark room) and the process is similar to the Colorimeter, but using a calibrated monitor. I am waiting for my calibration lenses to arrive any day now so I can get my monitor to match the tinting labs.
BTW, this technology, precision colour to reduce visual stress, was first studied in the UK for assisting people with epilepsy. It moved from there to migraines and now fully entrenched in the UK education system for visual stress in learning disabilities. Google Arnold Wilkins at the University of Essex to see all his work and more information.
There you go - where we are now...
Karen

Could you give me some contact specifics? My wife has the Irlen lenses and I am looking for a less expensive alternative. I cannot believe that the process of tinting prescription lenses has to be so downright costly. There must be another way to determine the proper tint color and then have lenses tinted to that particular specification. As you may well know, we have to send her lenses to California (Irlen Institute) to be tinted, and this takes up to 6-8 weeks...

BTW, the Irlen lenses have been a godsend!! She no longer sees in 2D...walking is no longer a laborious adventure (looking for alleged height differences), escalators are simple, reading is great, and sensitivity to light is way down...

I'm in Ottawa, just starting up, and with similar hopes of a less expensive alternative and local tinting so each optometrist can offer precision colour selection. By local I mean if optometrists in different cities come on board and get set up with the software. There is quite a bit of set up required to provide the level of detail in the tints required. Most labs just tint straight from a certain dye - like Oakley #5. We'll need sophisticated colorimetry/spectometry equipment and a multitude of tinting baths to provide precision tinting. I'm working with a lab here in Ottawa to see if the whole system works, but as I mentioned I'm still waiting for the calibration lenses from the UK to arrive.

Note - the Intuitive Colorimeter costs $12000 CAN... each and the software I'm testing is much less than that, and supposed to offer the same level of precision colour selection. you can email me at: kmonet opticalm ca

Karen

Back
Top Bottom