Magnesium....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rash

I have had a very uncomfortable rash for a month. I was looking up a possible supplement to see if I can end the rash, since topical applications don't seem to work. I was surprised to see that one of the recommended supplements may be causing it.
<http://www.ctds.info/magnesium-faq.html>

Last edited:
I am not sure who Sandy Simmons is, but if that is what is occuring with you, then I would agree perhaps you should consider not using it. Only way you will know for sure.
For me, it has been a life saver. I have been given back 4 days each month x 30 yrs.

Today....

Today I had a petite mal that lasted for about 2min. My hubby was so happy. :woot: Ok, I know that sounds weird...but you have to understand, all that happened was my head pulled to the right, and I wasn't conscious. Then I became conscious and continued the conversation we had been having. Before, my head would pull to the right, I wouldn't be conscious, and then I'd go into a full blown grand mal with convulsions and memory loss. I've been taking high potency vitamin packs for about 10-12 days and epsom salt for about 10 days. It's been 28 days since my last seizure. For the last 2 months, they were coming every 10-12 days. As my hubby says, "Hon, I think that medicine is working!" :bjump: Yay!!!

Today I had a petite mal that lasted for about 2min. My hubby was so happy. :woot: Ok, I know that sounds weird...but you have to understand, all that happened was my head pulled to the right, and I wasn't conscious. Then I became conscious and continued the conversation we had been having. Before, my head would pull to the right, I wouldn't be conscious, and then I'd go into a full blown grand mal with convulsions and memory loss. I've been taking high potency vitamin packs for about 10-12 days and epsom salt for about 10 days. It's been 28 days since my last seizure. For the last 2 months, they were coming every 10-12 days. As my hubby says, "Hon, I think that medicine is working!" :bjump: Yay!!!

Yeeeehah !! ^^^that's what I like to hear - success :clap:

I had my first seizure for 3 weeks on Friday night, but touch wood I haven't had one since....plus I know why I had the sz - that darn stress thing as I had to pay my Doc a visit on Friday about my Colitis. Still, all's well.

Real glad to hear that your sz's are fading out though - that's definitely heading in the right direction in my books. :)

Thank you. :) I know why I had the sz too....I forgot to take the epsom salt till midnight, and I didn't get to bed till 5AM.

TeeTee's sorry you had another seizure:( keep your chin up! angel ------> HUGS :)

skillefer
OMG your eating epsom salt? I think its awesome your not having many seizures anymore!!! isnt eating epson salts really bad for you.... to much salt isnt good for the body you know?

love
angel

KEPPRA tablets contain the labeled amount of levetiracetam. Inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol 3350, polyethylene glycol 6000, polyvinyl alcohol, talc, titanium dioxide, and additional agents listed below:

250 mg tablets: FD&C Blue #2/indigo carmine aluminum lake
500 mg tablets: iron oxide yellow
750 mg tablets: FD&C yellow #6/sunset yellow FCF aluminum lake, iron oxide red

lol thats whats in keppra ..... I think magnesium stearate is epsom salt? iron oxide yellow ! I hope that doesnt make my skin a funny color like the blue man lol

its not the same ... as epsom salt

Last edited:
Magnesium stearate is the magnesium salt of stearic acid, which is chemically known as octadecanoic acid. Its chemical formula is (C18H35O2)2Mg. It is a white soapy powder with an alkaline pH. Magnesium stearate is obtained from stearic acid, which is mostly derived from plant sources. However, some manufacturers derive stearic acid from animal sources, pork included.

Its major use is in the industry as a lubricant, dusting powder, emulsifier, binder and paint and varnish drier. Magnesium stearate is used in the pharmaceutical drugs in order to bind tablets and make them smooth. It is also a common additive in several foods as it is cheaply available.

When used as an industrial binder, magnesium stearate is always taken in lower concentrations. It is an effective binder and even concentrations as low as 5 to 15%. Higher concentrations can cause compaction problems. As a lubricant, it is added in the powder blend. This is done so that the powder blend does not adhere to the capsule or mould when it becomes compact.

Magnesium stearate is a hydrophobic substance, i.e. it has negative affinity with water. Hence, it can be used in designing firefighting equipment. However, it cannot be used in large proportion as its particles may form an explosive mixture in air. An overdose of magnesium stearate can also give off toxic fumes resulting in asphyxia.

Magnesium stearate has been graded to be a safe chemical compound, with no side effects known. Several foods use magnesium stearate as an additive or preservative. Magnesium stearate is an effective emulsifier used in syrups, ketchups, sauces, etc. It is also used as an anti-caking agent in preparing certain foods. Confectionaries use magnesium stearate for binding candies, etc. Baby cosmetic powder contains magnesium stearate as it provides a softer texture than talcum powder.

GROSS!

LOL...yes, but it's also an anticonvulsant. :) They give it to pregnant women to prevent eclampsia and pre-eclampsia (seizures). Plus, back in the 1800's it was used as an anti-convulsant. Anyway, I'm only taking a 1/2 tsp. a day. :) Sounds gross, and tastes bitter, but hey, what can I say, it seems to be working. :)

I like to use epsom salts in our bath. It helps to detox the body.

I was just reading my doctors website and found out why he doesn't recommend taking Magnesium with Calcium:

Magnesium:
This is a natural calming mineral. The calming effect of magnesium should only be achieved by taking magnesium alone and not by taking a combination of calcium and magnesium. With the combination of calcium and magnesium you take the magnesium from the intracellular position and replace it with calcium that may be toxic to the environment in the cell.
www.uzzireissmd.com
(warning.. he does sell products on his website, so don't hit the link line if that irritates you)

TeeTee's sorry you had another seizure:( keep your chin up! angel ------> HUGS :)

skillefer
OMG your eating epsom salt? I think its awesome your not having many seizures anymore!!! isnt eating epson salts really bad for you.... to much salt isnt good for the body you know?

love
angel

Awwwww, thanks angel - I then went clear for Saturday and Sunday night, and had another last night (boooo). It's a shame it happened as I was aiming for a good 4 week break from it - that would be a record for me for a long time......but it kicked in on the night when I would've made my 3 week break from sz's !

Still, things could be worse....I've still got all my limbs, and other "bit's & pieces" <ahem>.....so it's just time to go back to Start and play another game of "seizures & ladders" :D

I WILL beat this demon, just you wait ;)

Back
Top Bottom