10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Woodland Hills, CA
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Library

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thanked 1,055 Times in 738 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to AlohaBird
I got a couple of PM requests for links to edibles and vapor systems so I thought I would post them here in case anyone else is interested.

http://marioil.com
http://www.medicaljane.com/review/the-4-20-bar-review/
http://www.honeypotbear420.com/products/
http://www.medamints.com
https://my.kannaway.com/Kannaway/mem...re/hempvap.asp
http://collegeofcannabis.com/reviews...apes-reviewed/
http://www.medicaljane.com/review/ca...monade-review/
Autumn Breeze (02-24-2016), Bernard (12-23-2015), Cetacean (01-05-2016), Nakamova (12-31-2015), Zoe (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

"...medications use marijuana or cannabinoids (synthetic forms of THC -- the psychoactive ingredient of cannabis) to control seizures -- with no previously identified side effects." The research shows that cannabinoids NOT THC heal neuronal issues. Do research shows some (if only a bit) is needed to cross the blood-brain barrier for CBD. This study looks faulty. Who paid for this research?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Not sure which poster (in the last 16 pages) you are quoting there, Janus. ^^^^
Old 12-24-2015, 02:45 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

What medical marijuana would be good for IBS?

I've never been into marijuana, and never thought I would be interested. But after dealing with IBS over these past few years, I'm wavering. Rx to treat IBS, isn't helping much. So I thought medical marijuana would be an option to try.

I'd like to know more about the basics: strains, CBCs, THCs, CBOs, edible, oral (pill), etc.

I need somewhere to start, nothing to technical.
RTLS went well 5 years down, life to go!, *Trileptal 900MG AM / 1200MG PM* (until I feel ready to reduce dosage once other issues are under control)
Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Janus View Post:
"...medications use marijuana or cannabinoids (synthetic forms of THC -- the psychoactive ingredient of cannabis) to control seizures -- with no previously identified side effects." The research shows that cannabinoids NOT THC heal neuronal issues. Do research shows some (if only a bit) is needed to cross the blood-brain barrier for CBD. This study looks faulty. Who paid for this research?
Well, here is the latest from the NYU E center regarding seizure control and CBD:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-1...resistant.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cint For This Useful Post:
AlohaBird (12-24-2015), Cetacean (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Joined the Party

Originally Posted by Janus View Post:
"... The research shows that cannabinoids NOT THC heal neuronal issues.
THC is a cannabinoid.

Quote :
Cannabinoids are a class of diverse chemical compounds that act on cannabinoid receptors in cells that repress neurotransmitter release in the brain. ... The most notable cannabinoid is the phytocannabinoid tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive compound of cannabis.[2][3] Cannabidiol (CBD) is another major constituent of the plant.[4] There are at least 85 different cannabinoids isolated from cannabis, exhibiting varied effects.[5]
{emphasis mine}
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid
The Following User Says Thank You to Cetacean For This Useful Post:
AlohaBird (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Originally Posted by BIGMAN131307 View Post:

I've never been into marijuana, and never thought I would be interested. But after dealing with IBS over these past few years, I'm wavering. Rx to treat IBS, isn't helping much. So I thought medical marijuana would be an option to try.

I'd like to know more about the basics: strains, CBCs, THCs, CBOs, edible, oral (pill), etc.

Hi Bigman. This is a good article about IBS and MMJ.

http://medicalmarijuana.com/medical-...Bowel-Syndrome
BIGMAN131307 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Joined the Party

Originally Posted by BIGMAN131307 View Post:

Here is a start: Search terms "Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil"

Below please find a link to a blog kept by an IBS patient trying the oil. Evident success, but anecdotal.

http://www.marijuanagrowing.com/show...isease-90-days
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cetacean For This Useful Post:
BIGMAN131307 (01-06-2016), Nakamova (01-06-2016), Zoe (01-06-2016)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Getting Comfortable

Hi all !!!
I m using CBD oil for 2 weeks instead lamictal because seizures increases (grand mal).
I took 100 mg daily CBD oil lazarus natural, i weigh 197 pounds, 50mg when i wake up and 50 before go to bed and now I got just 1 seizure every 2 weeks.
My companion consider I sleep better.
I fell drowsy like other meds pill but no other side effects.
People who had tried CBD may help me and give me feedbacks, side effects decrease over time ?
Some of you ever tried pills or other stuffs to increase drowsiness, fatigue ?
I 'd like to try Modafinil bust i can't got prescription in my country (France).
Any tips ?
Thks everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to jochen1727 For This Useful Post:
Janus (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,341 Times in 5,421 Posts
There isn't a whole lot of data for Modafinil and people with epilepsy, but what there is suggests that it might be problematic: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22420936

Modafinil is considered a "psychostimulant" which make it a risky choice for someone with a seizure disorder. Unless your neurologist specifically will prescribe it for you (and it sounds like that isn't likely at the moment), I suggest that you steer clear.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:16 PM

I am not a medical provider and do not give advice. My experience is that two years ago I started using medical marijuana. At first I smoked until I found I had side effects from that. Coughing and Carbonmonoxide stealing oxygen, all from the combustion (fire burn). Eating, and in my case, vaping pure oils. My seizures have dropped so much my wife and I are astonished. I just went 1.5 years, longest ever. Then an absence seizure. And 4 months later, 4 absence in a week. 3 weeks and counting. As you see I am not , out of the woods, per'se . I do not see a 'cure all" in the same way I might use Vitamin b.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Getting Comfortable

Thks naka and Janus to reply, i ll keep trying this way ....
i m feeling more tired with CBD, try and see ....
Old 05-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Your Host
Recent Blog: Oh poop

Thanked 2,298 Times in 820 Posts
Quote :
Georgia family loses custody of son after giving him marijuana to treat seizures

The parents are now facing reckless conduct charges.

TWIGGS COUNTY, Ga. — Last month, Georgia Division of Family and Children Services took custody of Suzeanna and Matthew Brill's son after Twiggs County Sheriff's Office deputies arrested them for giving him marijuana.

It's a charge they don't deny.

"We openly admitted to them in front of Twiggs County sheriff's deputies," said Matthew Brill.

Their son, whom 13WMAZ did not identify because he is a minor and the sensitive nature of this case, was taken from the Brills' custody.

According to a Twiggs County Sheriff's Office report, they're now charged with reckless conduct.

However, they say they're not bad parents – they were doing what they had to to stop their son's frequent seizures.

The Brills say their son suffered from several seizures every day, "seven days a week, 24 hours a day."

After trying several prescription drugs and even cannabis oil with no results, they turned to marijuana.

"I smoke it first," said stepfather Matthew Brill. "I know where it comes from, I know my people. Made sure the bag was good, packed the bowl in my bowl, which I know ain't been anywhere else, and I set it on the table and told him that it was his decision. I did not tell him he had to or not."

The Brills say their son began smoking several times a day and when he did, it kicked off a 71-day stretch without a single seizure.

Even though they're facing a reckless conduct charge, the parents say they'd do it again to protect their child.

"Nothing else was working," said Suzeanna Brill. "I can't have my kid dying because no one wants to listen."
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...s/85-558956588
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,341 Times in 5,421 Posts
I feel for the family, having to choose between being legal or being seizure-free. In the NY times article on this it said that some the son's doctors were willing to look the other way, but the son's therapist called the cops.

Quote :
Ms. Brill said that she had been upfront with David’s doctors about the marijuana use, and that they hadn’t protested. But then she told the boy’s therapist on April 19, and hours later the police were at their door.

The police drug-tested all three of them: Mr. Brill and David tested positive for marijuana, Ms. Brill tested negative. The parents admitted to the police that they had given their child marijuana, and the officers demanded they stop, Ms. Brill said.

“We complied, and within 14 hours of complying we were rushing our son to the hospital,” she said. “And it was one of the most horrific seizures I’ve ever seen.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/u...er=rss&emc=rss
Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 AM
New Here

Most people, and surprisingly, government bodies which boast of having scientists and doctors get confused between marijuana and CBD. Both are extracted from the same plant, however, marijuana is the toxic+ addictive part that contains high THC. But cannabis is not toxic in nature. In fact, it promotes healing and is ironically used in de-addiction programs. CBD has the property of healing neurological imbalances and thus promises to be a great solution in terms of epilepsy treatment.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:23 AM
New Here

Originally Posted by joyous View Post:
Hello,
I must respond. Marijuana works but I found that a diet high in fat, protein, sugar free, gluton free works with it and there's more. Without praying for and using virtues I am no where. I pray for divine love and sharing it with all, humility, patience, mercy, joy, and the list goes on.

I am no preacher, nor am I trying to be. I am simply stating what's worked for me. Without a clean conscience and divine love marijuana only covers up the stuff inside.

Epilepsy is more than physical. The psychological effects must be faced in total and accepted for pot to work physically. Lack of trust, fear of seizures and close relationships, depression, anger, and much more. Check it out it's on line. I found denial doesn't work but courage mixed with humility does. After accepting all this I came to see I'm not alone.

I came to love myself, others, and the divine. After that I use CBD everynight with my chemical meds. After 20+ years of uncontrolable, then partially controlled seizures I can say I'm seizure free and happy.

Peace,
Joyous
There has been a lot of discussion in the media about the use of marijuana in the treatment of seizures and epilepsy. Marijuana has been used by humans for thousands of years to treat a wide selection of ailments. For 70% of epilepsy patients who are unable to control their seizures, cannabis is being viewed as a potential treatment option, and a great amount of success has been witnessed so far.
Depending on how severe your condition is, different patients report different benefits from using high-CBD and high-THC strains for treating seizures and epilepsy. The entourage effect plays a big part when medicating, especially with serious conditions such as epilepsy, since isolating cannabinoids will not be effective in treatment. To get the full healing properties of the strain, epilepsy patients should use the entire plant, because the presence of other cannabinoids allows for a greater effect to take place.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJMari For This Useful Post:
Janus (03-05-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

your government is rather retarded
The Following User Says Thank You to seagull For This Useful Post:
Janus (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 PM

I use mmj successfully. My doc/ not neurologist. Said that vaping is the cleanest way. I find that to be true. It's cheaper, cleaner, leaves no odor. I just enjoy it alot. this makes other people on the planet seem silly. The'smoking' part is may to me. After only vaping and edibles smoke tastes like carbon. Smoke is a carcinogen. My seizures dropped in the frequencies not completely. So I am a still going for the VNS pretty soon. That sucks. Well, take what you can get, I guess