[News] Marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

all the medications I've been on given to me by doctors have gotten me way more messed up than herb.
"Medication" is a word. I say drugs. When I take my pills, I'm taking my drugs. I have a lot of them.
Now here's a little story:

I take thousands of mg, every day, twice a day. I'll admit it. I am a drug addict (tear). I only did it because they told me to! No, DEA, don't take away my pills! No! The doctor-- what? I'm abusing? I don't even like them! No!
(bang)
No! I'm dying! The DEA is stealing my AEDs!
(end)

And that is about the amount of compassion that the government has for sick people. people who like weed, blaze up. Be careful though, you don't want yo' *beep* put in jail.
There's scientific evidence that it's useful. And there's no scientific evidence that weed is harmful. I said scientific as in from scientists. Anything from political organizations is bull.

Peace and love, people, peace and love.

all the medications I've been on given to me by doctors have gotten me way more messed up than herb.
"Medication" is a word. I say drugs. When I take my pills, I'm taking my drugs. I have a lot of them.
Now here's a little story:

I take thousands of mg, every day, twice a day. I'll admit it. I am a drug addict (tear). I only did it because they told me to! No, DEA, don't take away my pills! No! The doctor-- what? I'm abusing? I don't even like them! No!
(bang)
No! I'm dying! The DEA is stealing my AEDs!
(end)

And that is about the amount of compassion that the government has for sick people. people who like weed, blaze up. Be careful though, you don't want yo' *beep* put in jail.
There's scientific evidence that it's useful. And there's no scientific evidence that weed is harmful. I said scientific as in from scientists. Anything from political organizations is bull.

Peace and love, people, peace and love.

I agree with this for the most part. However, chronic Marijuana, which an epielptic person would be if they solely relied on the drug, may trigger psychosis, anxiety, and depression and other mental disorders in people already prone to those ailments. If that was the black box warning and it was legalized I would say knock yourself out.

I agree with this for the most part. However, chronic Marijuana, which an epielptic person would be if they solely relied on the drug, may trigger psychosis, anxiety, and depression and other mental disorders in people already prone to those ailments. If that was the black box warning and it was legalized I would say knock yourself out.

I watched this video of a scientist guy who had researched the endocannabinoid system, and he said that cannabinoids were good for psychosis, anxiety, and depression.
You're just giving in to people who say that herb causes insanity, and those people are just trying to keep it illegal.
But what do I know, I'm stupid. You don't want to end up like Ralph... I think he's the laughing guy from Reefer Madness who goes insane, I saw that movie forever ago.

Be that as it may though, I think anyone with serious mental disorders should see a doctor.

Although I do admit to daydreams of getting David Axelrod's daughter high... I just think it would be funny, because he's all into this CURE foundation for E, to just walk up to him and be like, hi dude, I found the cure, I got it from Cheech and Chong dude, and it's totally cool, I think it's actually been around for a while man!

I like to kid around. Obviously herb's not the cure.

Due to its sedative properties, marijuana may benefit some people with epilepsy. It would be terrific if marijuana were actually a cure for all seizure disorders. But like the AEDs, it can have side effects, and it certainly isn't the right fit for everyone. (Legalities aside).

I watched this video of a scientist guy who had researched the endocannabinoid system, and he said that cannabinoids were good for psychosis, anxiety, and depression.
You're just giving in to people who say that herb causes insanity, and those people are just trying to keep it illegal.
But what do I know, I'm stupid. You don't want to end up like Ralph... I think he's the laughing guy from Reefer Madness who goes insane, I saw that movie forever ago.

Be that as it may though, I think anyone with serious mental disorders should see a doctor.

Although I do admit to daydreams of getting David Axelrod's daughter high... I just think it would be funny, because he's all into this CURE foundation for E, to just walk up to him and be like, hi dude, I found the cure, I got it from Cheech and Chong dude, and it's totally cool, I think it's actually been around for a while man!

I like to kid around. Obviously herb's not the cure.

Sorry, I'm speaking from personal experience, not jumping on some bandwagon. I love the green, but I cut back my smoking to occasionally on the weekends after I noticed my anxiety increasing. For me, if I use too much, my drive to do things go down. When that happens and I continually smoke, I feel like MJ amplifies some of my thoughts; good or bad.

I think that marijauan is a great drug, but it has to be used in moderation like everything else. Too much of a good thing can be bad!

I can somewhat agree with that. Teenagers brains are still forming. While I did partake during my teenage-hood, it wasnt on a daily basis, nor is it now. Moderation is key, when it comes to lots of things. Cigarettes, alcohol, poptarts, bacon (cholestrol), water, and even the use of a microwave oven. Too much is never good for you.

I'd be curious to know how much the lab rats consumed as opposed to a teenager who weighs 130 lbs. Or even the effects of teens drinking alcohol that can ruin their livers.

You take the good and the bad when it comes to things like this. I remember hearing smoking cigs stunts your growth. May have happened in my case, I am barely 5'3.

:p

I think there's lots of stigma when it comes to illegal substances, the propaganda doesnt help either. I need to move to California. :woot:

My partner was on gabapentin for a month, and I could see how he became sicker and sicker -- to the point that I worried that if he stayed on it too much longer he would, at the very least be seriously hospitalized, if not die.

I have never worried that smoking marijuana would do that to him.

It's not perfect, or perfectly harmless, but in my mind, these side-effects are preferable to those of many prescribed pharmaceuticals.

That may be the truth,but why is that a part of this. Were talking as adults looking for answers for our problems. Weed may very well be help for some of us with seizure disorders as evedince supports it has anticonvolsant properties. Why put a negitive spin on that. Were here to lift each other up not put each other down. Use a coffee grinder to preare your weed for rolling, the Keef thats left over in the grinder is very fine and perfect for a browniemix.

That may be the truth,but why is that a part of this. Were talking as adults looking for answers for our problems.

Actually, there are parents here with children who suffer from epilepsy.

Weed may very well be help for some of us with seizure disorders as evedince supports it has anticonvolsant properties. Why put a negitive spin on that. Were here to lift each other up not put each other down.

I don't like that the pharmaceutical companies seem to do what they can to hide information about the side-effects of various drugs. I believe that anything we take can only be helpful when we are aware of the good & the bad.

That being said, I feel that the more we know about what we take the more productively & safely we can use it. To not acknowledge the bad along with the good justifies the pharmaceutical companies not acknowledging negative side-effects of their products & I feel that is wrong.

Also, I don't feel that posting facts puts any sort of "spin" on marijuana nor did the article say that it does or doesn't help people with Epilepsy.

Last edited:
Im not here to argue about feelings, facts are facts.Anticonvolsants dont cure they cause more problems. People are so desperate for help that we will do almost anything, like believe that the drugs will work. Truth, they very seldom work! Maybe 20 percent of the time!!!

Actually, there are parents here with children who suffer from epilepsy.

I don't like that the pharmaceutical companies seem to do what they can to hide information about the side-effects of various drugs. I believe that anything we take can only be helpful when we are aware of the good & the bad.

That being said, I feel that the more we know about what we take the more productively & safely we can use it. To not acknowledge the bad along with the good justifies the pharmaceutical companies not acknowledging negative side-effects of their products & I feel that is wrong.

Also, I don't feel that posting facts puts any sort of "spin" on marijuana nor did the article say that it does or doesn't help people with Epilepsy.

So, for comparison, also give them information on how daily use of AEDs affect teens in the long term. And daily use of anti-depressants and daily use of prescription sleep aids and daily use of anti-nausea pills. And daily use of tranquilizers.

The problem is we don't have that info, do we? We can't do a side-by-side comparison of long-term effects, because the legal pharmaceuticals don't get such close scrutiny and public announcements as weed does.

That one-sidedness is precisey part of the spin Eric -- look at the headline, look at lead. When was the last time you saw something like this about an presciption pharma.

EDIT: Additionally, there's no mention of what strain they were studying, how much THC content there was, if it's organic grow, what the THC to CBD ratio is, etc, etc, etc. This kind of information needs to be included in studies like these. Not all cannabis strains are the same -- there are at least 400 recognized types most of which are not considered medicinal.

Last edited:
I have 30+ years experince talking anticonvolsants and all the other drugs that Dr. give you to counter the side effects of the anticonvolsants. Looking back at this whole lifetime experince,I can say without doubt none of it worked.Next time you take any thing into your thats not natural see if it makes you really feel better or just makes you care less about the whole thing.

I have 30+ years experince talking anticonvolsants and all the other drugs that Dr. give you to counter the side effects of the anticonvolsants. Looking back at this whole lifetime experince,I can say without doubt none of it worked.Next time you take any thing into your thats not natural see if it makes you really feel better or just makes you care less about the whole thing.
Mike, your response implies natural meds don't have side-effects, which many do, some very serious ones at that.

Each kind of med has its uses and each person reacts differently to each med. To say one is above-board better than another is simplifying the issue far too much.

I respect your opinion but dont agree. Lets just agree to dieagree and support each other anyway. The peace of Jesus be with you and yours this Christmas.

The herb is government approved for persons with Glaucoma. But not all. Only for a certain ratio of patients in the U.S. How they determine this, I have no idea? But they come to your home "rolled". How handy. I was diagnosed with early onset Glaucoma two decades ago and am fine with my two drops a day. I have very disturbing side effects from pot. Mainly, paranoia. Like I need any assistance in that department when my Bi-Polar Disorder flairs up!
As for Epilepsy, I wonder how it would interact with our medications. There's an ongoing battle between doctors and holistic practicioners concening benefits of herbs and medications. I personally would not mix the two. "I" say "Not to pot".

I think that if they could take the useful bits out, I might be willing to consider the possibilities cannabis has to offer medically.

But, being a potential winner of the genetic jackpot for cancer (dad and 2 siblings died of lung cancer, one of his other siblings died of breast cancer and another beat lung cancer just to die in a car wreck; 2 of mom's siblings died of lung cancer), I'm not willing to take up smoking the stuff just to see if it works, haha. Besides, there's that whole "legality" thing and half my family and friends being cops that would (rightfully) haul my butt off to jail if I did - it's so not worth it! :roflmao:

Move to California...lol.

If my friend who lives there hadn't pestered me for three days straight, I probably wouldn't even have chosen to vacation there next month. I really, really do not like California, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom