Music\auditory stimulus and the Epileptic brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Duhhh!!!

Sorry!....I get your question now Zoe!

As far as classical goes, I've found TONS of old 'near mint' Readers Digest collections, international collections, full operas, scores of philharmonics. I saw so many I didn't jot down the 'who' and 'what' just yet! As far as the rest it's a smorgasbord of various artists, promotional records, audio books, etc......all in BIG STACKS!

Sorting through right now is tough but I'll make an attempt to report on what I find!

The first response was to 'my collection of audio that make me somehow feel better'...my bad!
:rock:

Calling all brains...

Alright, enough talk...it's brainstorming time! I got's an idea I'd like to bounce off you guys because, well, after the past few weeks I've come to really value your opinions, insight, and 'no holes barred'-honesty....okay?

I want to create a searchable, scalable, database for research purposes that attempts to categorize music\sounds in as many ways as possible!

Obvious categorizations are title, tracks, date, etc.....
...but NOT obvious are some other categorizations I would like to include like (and not limited to) timbre, key, instrumentation, for music pieces for example.......and things like spectrum analyzation aspects (high end, mid range, low end, wide coverage, etc...) for everything.

The thought here is that numerous commonalities would present themselves allowing for better research.

All music/audio in the archive would be .wav files if possible (instead of MP3's). I thought about this and realized for this to be worthy, the files needed to be the highest quality sampling I could do...so MP3's were out. Too bad cause they're so much smaller!

The initial potential database is already 3100+ albums strong given my own input, but I would set this up to be an archive that continues to grow through donations.

Storage...OUCH!....well, here's my thought...what if sale of the albums (after digitizing) paid for the equipment? At the very least, there are a few duplicates that could be sold off.

The resulting archive would be made available to legitimate reasearch facilities at the very least, but possibly also to legitimate supporting members (I'd have to see how the licensing stuff works there with respect to a non-profit research operation...cuz' that's what I'm talking about!)

I am not a 'record collector' and don't EVER want to be...these just happened to fall into my lap at a time when I was researching music/therapy!...call it kismet?...dumb luck?

I could imagine a database of this type being very useful...and I really want to make a positive impact in the field!

Shoot me down!...keep it real!...oh, my God, my wife even wants me to do this! Got a smiley for a big fat can o' worms Bernard?

:medsym::medsym::medsym::medsym::medsym::medsym::rock:

Have you considered a .midi in addition
to .wav files? .midis take less space.

But this come from a bookmark; my son
says it's weird but really cool, but I can't
hear it - but y'all can:

Sounds From Space from Science Labs

Please do tell me what it sounds like ...

Thanks Brain!

Concerning the midi file format...I leaned away from it, MP3, and a few others that are like them because in their compression there is usually a pretty severe loss of the original audio signal. I would really like to preserve the original signals to the best of my ability since I'm going to be attempting to amass a collection based and categorized on what researchers and individuals claim affects the brain in certain ways. It would be a shame if file conversion on my part caused a different outcome...but I see it as entirely possible! I'm leaning heavily towards the True Audio format (.TTA file extension) which claims to be an almost lossless compression. I downloaded their software and tested it and so far have been very impressed! I got 50% compression with no noticeable change. While MP3 was 90% compression, it was very 'tinny' as usual...not my first choice for a research 'archive'.
:twocents:

:brock:
Now...those are really cool sound bites from space! If I'm not mistaken you mentioned you USED to have hearing, right? Well, most of this stuff sounded EXACTLY like it was the background noise used in the old 50's sci-fi movies that had astronauts on spaceships (with a mysteriously adequate supply of oxygen with their helmet open and equally mysterious supply of gravity!) talking about how they would save themselves or mankind from some really poor excuse for a monster...........yeah, that was good stuff! anyway, it was real high-pitched noise usually with occasional oscillations of another tone or two to make them really interesting. Fun stuff!

:brock:
Now...those are really cool sound bites from space! If I'm not mistaken you mentioned you USED to have hearing, right? Well, most of this stuff sounded EXACTLY like it was the background noise used in the old 50's sci-fi movies that had astronauts on spaceships (with a mysteriously adequate supply of oxygen with their helmet open and equally mysterious supply of gravity!) talking about how they would save themselves or mankind from some really poor excuse for a monster...........yeah, that was good stuff! anyway, it was real high-pitched noise usually with occasional oscillations of another tone or two to make them really interesting. Fun stuff!

Thanks for the info.

Yes I used to hear, I'm profoundly deaf now.
Like my posting below says, my son just says
it was "cool". He's not that person to elaborate
so much info!

::: sulks :::

So that would mean it's almost like the "Sounds
in Space" Album below of the late 50's, except
you can get it online for free...

:lol:

THANKS SO MUCH!

I've had it bookmarked ... just had a hope that
one day I would be able to hear it but it ain't
going to happen!

BUT HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

I want to create a searchable, scalable, database for research purposes that attempts to categorize music\sounds in as many ways as possible!

I think that is a worthy pursuit, but unless you have some sort of program that can do a lot of the analysis for you (tempo, tones, notes, etc.) from a digitized form of the music, it's going to be too laborious to ever finish without a whole lot of help (ie. qualified volunteers) IMO.

There is something less ambitious (and less scientific) that we could do right here at CWE if you like. I could create a forum called Speber's Room where you could start a separate thread with a poll and a ~ 1 minute sampler for each song/instrumental. CWE members could then report on whether they considered the bit soothing, calming, irritating, exciting, etc.

Wow!

I think that is a worthy pursuit, but unless you have some sort of program that can do a lot of the analysis for you (tempo, tones, notes, etc.) from a digitized form of the music, it's going to be too laborious to ever finish without a whole lot of help (ie. qualified volunteers) IMO.
You are absolutely right...a whole wagon load of work......but it would be an on-going process with continuous input and updates that wouldn't have to be 100% complete up-front to start yielding good results! I might have the ability to add 3000+ entries myself, but if only 1500 entries are 'fully filled in'...that's still a mountain of searchable data! Researchers would basically have the ability to pull up 'groups' of related files by whatever categorization was available. for that matter, it is conceivable this could be made more as an open cooperative project (maybe like 'SETI' in some ways) where researchers could add their OWN categories on the fly! who knows where this could go right now...it's in the brain-storming stage...I'd hate to limit it TOO much!
Luckily, I'm NOT alone! My father (a database programmer by trade) is up for helping out...as are many other friends and family (assuming I can settle on a the final plan!). Speaking of friends, you guys here at CWE are quite the inspiration for me. I came here because you promote the ALTERNATIVES so articulately. I believe I have one...it just needs lots of research...and the research would benefit from this.
:tup:

There is something less ambitious (and less scientific) that we could do right here at CWE if you like. I could create a forum called Speber's Room where you could start a separate thread with a poll and a ~ 1 minute sampler for each song/instrumental. CWE members could then report on whether they considered the bit soothing, calming, irritating, exciting, etc.
Caught me off-guard with that one Bernard!...too generous! That's a great idea...BUT---I don't want to create a bunch of work for you. If this is something 'major' don't sweat it...I appreciate the thought! Maybe I can get some sort of site up for this database?....(where'd I put Brainy's flying pigs?
:piano:

It's only about 1 minute of work on my end to add a new forum category.

You would be doing all the work creating polls and attaching sample audio files. ;)

This would be a great addition. I know I have learned about some music just from the suggestions that have been tossed around.

Color me there!...

I'm in. I'll begin creating those 'samplets' straightaway.
What would GREATLY benefit this move is some input (or requests maybe) to help fill this up!....
...I've got A LOT OF CLASSICAL to choose from...hit me with your best shot...I bet I have it. To keep this 'somewhat' scientific, I again pose the question...

"what music makes you feel good/bad?"

....as opposed to just favorite artists and genres.

:rock::rock::rock:

where'd I put Brainy's flying pigs?

flyingpigs.gif

Beethoven's "Für Elise", is one that totally pacifies my spirit. I can almost envision him arising in the night to compose that beautiful piece for his wife. I don't know how to post pictures or the music, but here's a link to it online.

(fixed the vid!..Speber...):tup:

Speber, please post more of what you are finding in your search. I'd like to update my Mozart page at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

Yes I used to hear, I'm profoundly deaf now.

Are you hearing sounds in your head when you described what docs thought might be tinnitis in another post? I have 2 hearing aids. I used to "hear" flute music in my seizures, really nice music too.

Zoe!

I'm so sorry I've been SOOO busy.....

but here's some of the artists/composers I glanced at VERY quickly while moving 'stacks' last night. Forgive me if I can't remember the album titles at this moment...I'm doing this during a quick lunch!

Barbara Streisand (at least 20 albums)...
Kris Kristofferson
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
Dean Martin
Mac Davis
Pink Floyd
Shaquille O'Neal
An original recording of the 'War of the Worlds' broadcast
Montovani
Vivaldi
Stravinski
Bach
Beethoven
Grieg
Mozart
Ravel
Brahms
John Denver
Nat King Cole
Bing Crosby
Handel
Linda Ronstadt
Simon and Garfunkel
...and many cool-lections I've not even begun to crack into!

I'm endeavoring to DOCUMENT...but it'll be the weekend before I get decent info I'm afraid....unless I get lucky and my work catches fire!.....hmmmmm?

Call me strange, but I tend to find that I need a song to have lyrics to it for me to be taken "into" that song and be stimulated, so to speak.

Good music for me would be Soul / RnB Love Songs, so that I can disappear into that music. Luther Vandross has to be one off my all time faves, and has deep meaningful lyrics to his music which tends to mean something to everyone at one time or another.

I LOVE NAT KING COLE!

Oh to hear him again!

Ramblin' Rose ....

I think I'm going to cry! :cry:

Are you hearing sounds in your head when you described what docs thought might be tinnitis in another post? I have 2 hearing aids. I used to "hear" flute music in my seizures, really nice music too.

I have 2 hearing aids, but they do absolutely no
good. My hearing range is:

110-120 dB (decibels) - profoundly deaf.

I cannot feel any vibrations at all.

I TRY very hard to remember by memory,
but my memory is no good; I READ music.
I can still play instruments by music but I
cannot hear sounds and I depend on those
who can hear to listen to me play. Some-
times I just know I hit a 'sournote' because
my finger(s) slipped. But I do play multiple
instruments from Woodwinds, Brass,
Percussions, Strings and even unusual objects.
It's just in my blood.

I just cannot play by ear at all (although my
little sister can play by ear, and she can
read music, but not very well - she plays
by ear far better than reading music).

Remember:

ALWAYS B# AND NEVER Bb!

;)

RE: Luther Vandross and lyrics...

Call me strange, but I tend to find that I need a song to have lyrics to it for me to be taken "into" that song and be stimulated, so to speak.

Good music for me would be Soul / RnB Love Songs, so that I can disappear into that music. Luther Vandross has to be one off my all time faves, and has deep meaningful lyrics to his music which tends to mean something to everyone at one time or another.

Not strange at all. In fact, the VOICE is looked over almost every time as an instrument itself! Luther Vandross has an unbelievable voice and the story IS always relevant when it comes to R&B...good stuff.
:tup:

Back
Top Bottom