Neourologist vs Epiletologist

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
I've been dealing with the same Dr. (Neorologist professor for McMaster University Medical Centre) for over 20 years and my seizures have been under control with a coctail of meds, besides, I'm probably better off dealing with a Neurologist vs an Epileptologist since I'm also being monitored for ulcerative colitis (which goes hand in hand with epilepsy and both stress related) and the meds that I take for it have a direct effect on my epilepsy meds, EI: The Asocol for my UC paints a protective coating on the stomach and bowel wall and the dilantin and pheonobarb have a hard time penitrating the stomach and bowel to get into the blood stream, In a stressful situation I sometimes have to double up on the Asocol, as a result, I have to increase my epilepsy meds or visa/versa. I have to be very careful about the doseages because too much and they can stay toxic in my system, too little and they won't have the proper effect.

My blood has to be checked once a week to ensure that the above stays in check.
It's like walking a tight rope but so far with careful monitoring of my blood and my way of life (keeping down the stress) I haven't had any problems.

I also wanted to mention that also as a direct result of the side affects,(and there are lots) my employer of 30 yrs has put me on disability insurance,(not my choice but I fought for 5 yrs to stay on the job).

Randy (Ontario)

I've always seen a neurologist, although he did refer me to the epileptologist in his group in 2000. I became upset during a new round of tests that the neurologist had ordered - I have no insurance and while the neurologist had said that the tests would only cost me a couple of hundred dollars, the bill came to $4000 - so I called the epileptologist and asked how much his bill would be. I was told that, as a newly diagnosed epileptic, the first visit would cost $500. I told the secretary that I was not newly diagnosed - that I had been diagnosed in 1978. She said, well, as a new patient to their group, the cost would be $500. So I asked her if my neurologist was a member of their group and she said that he was. I had been a patient of his since 1988 so that would not make me a new patient. Well, she said, the charge is $500. I cancelled the appointment and I dropped the neurologist too (to be honest, it was more a mutual parting of the ways since I would not be a good girl and do as I was told). Now my internist handles everything. She was always the one who had to handle my emergency care when I had out of control seizure problems so it just made sense. After all, when one is having a never ending grand mal, one can't exactly wait the six weeks that it takes to get a neurological appointment around here!

If your digestive system cannot absorb the meds, is it possible to do an injection of the meds (like a diabetic patient injects insulin) ?
The complexity of all your meds may prevent this possibility, but it might simplify what you take if your system absorbs it quicker.

Back
Top Bottom