[News] Neuropace Implantable Epilepsy Device Showing Positive Signs - Initial Clinical Study

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Neuropace Implantable Epilepsy Device Showing Positive Signs in Initial Clinical Study

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Neuropace Implantable Epilepsy Device Showing Positive Signs in Initial Clinical Study

A clinical trial is underway for a neurostimulator implant that monitors brain activity and then sends an electrical jolt designed to prevent an epileptic seizure. Neuropace has developed the RNS system in Silicon Valley, and is undergoing clinical trials with more than 200 patients across the US. It is being reported preliminarily that RNS implant is effective in treating seizures through the mechanism of responsive stimulation. In this protocol regions of the brain demonstrate erratic electrical signals before a seizure. Through counter electrical stimulation, the seizure can be prevented or minimized.

The RNS is placed under the skull and the electrodes are connected to relevant regions in the brain in order to provide stimulation. The device is controlled wirelessly through an adapter on a laptop which allows a clinician to view the patient's electrocorticographic (ECoG) activity in real-time and the ability to upload the patient's ECoGs that have been stored in the RNS neurostimulator.

The purported design advantage with the RNS system versus other anti-epileptic systems currently employed is that the RNS system does not constantly electrically stimulate the brain, but rather monitors specific regions in the brain for an uptick in electrical activity and only shocks when there is indication of an upcoming seizure. This means the RNS is monitoring more and shocking less.

Epilepsy%20Device.jpg

RNS-Image.jpg

Enough already......

No more shocking :brain: trials for me.......... :evil:

I dont think i could get any sort of brain surgery. The possiblilty of forgetting my loved ones is far too much of a risk for me. I would rather live with seizures. The concept of this one is really good tho. Very much like a pacemaker for a heart.

Although the long rod in the centre of the brain concerns me.

Neurofeedback and nutrition should be offered before this type of intrusion is offered.

I have the RNS, had the implant done back in February. So far it seems to be showing good signs, as the intensity of my seizures have reduced, they are also now almost strictly nocturnal, while they used to occur during the day. Another interesting thing that I have noticed is that I can now speak coherently when they occur, this has been confirmed by people that have witnessed my recent seizures. The biggest downside that I have found is the constant Dr. visits and the task of constantly documenting my seizures and any medicine I take. Thank god for insurance though, as I saw the costs that were billed to them for it. I am hoping though that it continues to improve as they fine tune it, and luckily the neuropace staff and my epileptologist have been great.

As far as the dangers of surgery go, I found out it is actually many times less dangerous than standard brain surgery as it is much less invasive and I was in and out of the hospital in 2 days. The staples hurt like crazy though, and the most they were able to give was lortab for the pain. Didn't even phase it, but the most painful part of all was the darn catheter LOL, typical of any surgery that requires general anesthesia.

Oh yeah, and it was a little freaky going in with a full head of hair and awaking completely bald. Just one tip for anyone that ever has it done. Get up and walking around as soon as possible. The more you walk the quicker the recovery I discovered.

As far as feedback goes, they bring you up to speed before anything is done, when they offer the option. It also requires the standard PET scan and WADA tests to qualify. There aren't many places doing it currently, and so far only about 250 patients in the trial. I was glad to do it, knowing that at a minimum I was doing something to help future people out.

I thought it may be something that you could tell when it was delivering therapy, but since there are no nerve endings in the brain, you don't feel a thing. The most I ever have is a muscle twitch or a flash of images from my memory, kind of neat, as I know what is going on, as soon as it happens I know to relax and prepare for a seizure, even my dog stays by my side now, never leaving me.

Last edited:
That's great s10! Thanks for the 1st hand experience/feedback. :mrt:

for what it's worth

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/mf_optigenetics/
Researchers have designed a process for creating cybernetic networks.
They genetically modify the brain's neurons, attaching light receptors
and light emitters to specific neurons. This way, you can control
neurons' input with light very precisely. And you can read the neurons'
output as well. Amazing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom