New Study on Atkins Diet for Seizures!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zoe

Alternative Research Encyclopedia
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Here's some good news on using diet to manage seizure disorders. This came in my newsletter from Dr. Amen. It is one more thing we can do to minimize the risks of having a seizure.
Zoe
Dr. Amen's Brain Blog
A discussion of neuroscience, mental health and the brain issues of the day.

"Fish Oil and ADD, Encouraging ResultsAnother Study Says Your Diet Matters: Atkins for Epilepsy
From the NY Times today comes a report on a high protein, very low carbohydrate diet to treat epilepsy. Your diet matters to the health of your brain. Recently I mentioned an elimination diet that was highly effective in treating ADD children. Could it be our diets are making our brains sick? It is at least part of the puzzle. Enjoy the article by Aliyah Baruchin.

A formerly controversial high-fat diet has proved highly effective in reducing seizures in children whose epilepsy does not respond to medication, British researchers are reporting. "

Full article:

http://amenclinics.com/wp231/?p=43

I'm not sure why the author mentions the Modified Atkins Diet in the headline. The British study he references is about the ketogenic diet.

Wow! I thought he was refering to a study I'd seen on the modified Atkins diet for seizures. Guess he was asleep at the keyboard!
:)

I heard the Atkins diet doesn't work. I have read it does more harm then good.

Back
Top Bottom