"Normal Provocatives?"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
After reading up on seizure triggers for Temporal Lobe Epilespy -that's my category - I've come to understand that even reading can cause episodes. Now, I've been an avid reader for many years but since my first Tonic Clonic seizure last year (nearly poked out an eye - that would make reading difficult!) I do believe I might be being overly concerned about picking up a book. Has anyone had an episode while reading? Full blown? Or what I will follow to describe...

"Out of the Body" experiences are linked with TLE. I remember back ...

...in the 70's being very relaxed while, nevertheless, reading a heavy eg Kafka or the like. Then I kind of faded away and, boy, I did some traveling! Note: I was not on drugs! When I came back I couldn't speak for about 5 min and I tried like hell to at least get out one syllable.

So to the point... can anyone relate to any of the above? Gathering data goes just so far but I need to know if I'm on the same page with someone else...

Timid Bookworm Laurie

Last edited:
After reading up on seizure triggers for Temporal Lobe Epilespy -that's my category - I've come to understand that even reading can cause episodes. Now, I've been an avid reader for many years but since my first Tonic Clonic seizure last year (nearly poked out an eye - that would make reading difficult!)
Laurie

I believe it's very possible. Often I'm online reading the forums, then I'm hit with a seizure. There wasn't anything unusual that could ignite a seizure. I'm not photosensitive, even if I was there was nothing but plain text. I believe that another possibility is relaxed brain seizure. Yeah, it sounds like a contradiction of what typical seizures are. But it's the only explanation that makes sense.

Seizure trigger checklist:

* Stress or emotional upset
* Low self-esteem
* Excitement
* Boredom <-----------This is it, the brain is bored so it has a seizure
* Lack of activity or interest <-----------This is it, the brain is bored so it has a seizure
* Fatigue
* Lack of sleep
* Poor nutrition
* Hypoglycemia
* Comsumption of alcohol
* Heat and/or humidity
* Consumption of large amounts of food or drink at one time
* Allergies
* Menstrual cycle
* Bladder too full
* Constipation
* Fever and infections
* Drug abuse
* Drug withdrawal
* Missed medication dosage
* Medication toxicity
* Sensory stimulation

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, Laurie!

We've not met yet, so I thought I'd drop by and welcome you....

As to the Out of Body experiences you're talking about, I've had a few, but it's been quite a number of years since I've had them. Actually back in the '70s, too, I think....

Regarding the question about a seizure while reading.......no, I don't believe I have. Although, I've had plenty of t/c's. But, I can't handle specific lights like those used in the Jumbotrons at footballs fields, which really sucks cuz I LOVE football.......

Take care, and welcome to CWE.......

Meetz

I believe it's very possible. Often I'm online reading the forums, then I'm hit with a seizure. There wasn't anything unusual that could ignite a seizure. I'm not photosensitive, even if I was there was nothing but plain text. I believe that another possibility is relaxed brain seizure. Yeah, it sounds like a contradiction of what typical seizures are. But it's the only explanation that makes sense.

Seizure trigger checklist:

* Stress or emotional upset
* Low self-esteem
* Excitement
* Boredom <-----------This is it, the brain is bored so it has a seizure
* Lack of activity or interest <-----------This is it, the brain is bored so it has a seizure
* Fatigue
* Lack of sleep
* Poor nutrition
* Hypoglycemia
* Comsumption of alcohol
* Heat and/or humidity
* Consumption of large amounts of food or drink at one time
* Allergies
* Menstrual cycle
* Bladder too full
* Constipation
* Fever and infections
* Drug abuse
* Drug withdrawal
* Missed medication dosage
* Medication toxicity
* Sensory stimulation
I agree. I think there is something to extreem relaxation. Listening to classical music (always relaxes me) while reading. The time I described produced an experience of being completely calm as I said. One of the top ten of calming experiences I can recall. Think I'll brave a book and leave classical music out of the equation. Thank you for the check list...today it's 91 degress with humidity alert. Staying in with the A/C. Seriously thinking about getting one of those plastic little fans when I venture out on days like today. Thanks. Always, Laurie

Thank you for welcome Meetz..

Hi there, Laurie!

We've not met yet, so I thought I'd drop by and welcome you....

As to the Out of Body experiences you're talking about, I've had a few, but it's been quite a number of years since I've had them. Actually back in the '70s, too, I think....

Regarding the question about a seizure while reading.......no, I don't believe I have. Although, I've had plenty of t/c's. But, I can't handle specific lights like those used in the Jumbotrons at footballs fields, which really sucks cuz I LOVE football.......

Take care, and welcome to CWE.......

Meetz
Re: Flashing lights...when I went to an evening outdoor concert (Rock) the stage lights (my friend said) put me in a state of being without complete expression - and I usually emote. Fourth of July - no fireworks for me! Always, Laurie

Back
Top Bottom