Rogue Waves in the Brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
This is an interesting blog post about an analogy between rogue waves and brain wave activity:
... So I'm going to ask you to temporarily consider the brain as one small ocean.

If we apply the findings in this story, that suggests a couple of things:
  1. We have at least a couple of different types of brain waves --
    • the smooth, "linear" type we usually see in EEG images and think of when we imagine brain waves -- the sine wave-looking undulating waves. These are ones we think of when people talk about delta, theta, alpha, beta, gamma, etc.
    • the nonlinear "rogue" waves that are unexpected.
  2. These rogue waves can happen in two ways:
    • They can be created from the meeting of two different "flows of activity". In the ocean, this means currents; in the brain, it means information processing. More specifically, if the transition between different content and/or ways of processing aren't stable and smooth, we can get these "rogue waves".

Rogue Waves: The Ocean of the Brain

Imagine how rough the waters are during seizure activity!

This is an interesting visual. I wonder if watching calm waters could be used to stop a seizure.

I have some paintings in my mind. But then it is rare that I don't.
I just love water and this might make a nice series

Back
Top Bottom