Secrets to Winning Your Social Security Claim

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
It’s no secret that winning a claim for Social Security Benefits based on seizure activities is almost like trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

To be approved for benefits based upon epilepsy or other neurological conditions, the following two criteria are key…

You must have a specified number of attacks, or episodes, occurring within a specified period of time. And, the episodes must occur even with — or despite — your full compliance with prescribed meds.

In other words, it is not enough that a disability claimant can demonstrate proof of a seizure disorder, or epilepsy diagnosis. Your records must also indicate that anti-seizure medication has been prescribed, is being taken as directed, and that attacks continue to occur nonetheless.

Then there’s the question of frequency and severity…

If your seizures are classified as “convulsive epilepsy” (formerly known as grand mal seizures), the seizures must occur more frequently than once a month.

If these seizures happen during the day, there must be proof of loss of consciousness (and, of course, convulsions).

If they occur at night, they must have the effect of interfering with your activities on the following day.

If your seizures are classified as non-convulsive epilepsy (“petit mal seizures,” or focal seizures), they have to happen more often than once a week.

And if that’s not enough, non-convulsive seizures must also involve either loss of consciousness, alteration of awareness (confusion, disorientation, etc.) or interference with your daily activities.

Here’s also some words for the wise, if you’re making a social security claim due to epilepsy or a seizure disorder…

Try to be seen by a physician when seizures occur.
Seizure disorder cases are evaluated by the SSA on the basis of how often seizures occur. That means you need corroborating evidence or else there’s no proof. Whether it’s documentation from a hospital, your doctor or some other health professional, there must be PROOF.

Keep a daily diary of seizure episodes.
This is for your good as well as further evidence of your seizure activity. Although a daily seizure diary can’t replace a doctor’s records, it’s still further proof of your condition and can be reviewed by a disability examiner or administrative law judge, adding further credibility to your claim.

Keep friends and family up to date with your condition.
Disability examiners often contact claimants to question their ability to perform normal daily activities. They sometimes also make calls to your friends and relatives to justify – or deny – a claim. If they can document what they’ve seen (even take video tapes!) their impartial and honest observations may better your chances of your claim being approved. (I think inability to breath might be a show-stopper!)

Take your meds – religiously.
Disability Examiners and Judges review medical records for prescriptions and compliance. The prescriptions themselves may validate the severity of a medical impairment. But when records show that the prescriptions have been written and not continued (like not being refilled is one big clue) the question arises, would you be able to work if you were regularly taking your meds?

For 14 tips on winning your SSD or SSI case, click on: http://epilepsytalk.com/2011/08/11/secrets-to-winning-your-social-security-claim/

Last edited:
I'm currently having mine reviewed right now to make sure I'm still "disabled" and I believe we'll have no problem. My wife made sure she gave all the pertinent information and all and keeps a record of all my seizures from 07' up to the present day. But it still bothers me that they could take it away just like that because they feel a certain way about my condition. Not really worried; just frustrated with it all! I never had one problem in getting disability...go figure!

Back
Top Bottom