[Info] Seizures & Epilepsy are as comon as Celiac Disease

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Gluten Intolerance Associated with Epilepsy & Seizures
on Mar20
by Dr Vikki Petersen

Seizures & Epilepsy Are As Common As Celiac Disease

Seizures and epilepsy may not seem to be common problems, but you may be surprised to discover that, identical to celiac disease, 1% of the population suffers and with increased age comes increased incidence at 3%. A full 10% of Americans can be expected to suffer a seizure in their lifetime.
It has been clearly shown that gluten affects the nervous system, but what are the specifics as it relates to epilepsy and seizures?
Celiac and Epilepsy Share the Same Genes

A study evaluating celiac disease, epilepsy and calcifications of the brain showed that the same genes involved with celiac were involved with epilepsy, specifically HLA-DQ2 and DQ8. Those suffering were found to have anti-gliadin antibodies (the immune system’s reaction to gluten) in their cerebrospinal fluid. This is the fluid that bathes the brain and spinal cord.
Gluten creates inflammation of the small intestine that results in a leaky gut. When gluten leaves the gut and gets into the bloodstream, the immune system of the blood reacts to it as well. We used to think that few substances gained access to the cerebrospinal fluid, but this study proved that the immune system reacts to gluten wherever it finds it and gluten seems to be able to gain access to all parts of the body.
Early Diagnosis Leads to Highest Treatment Success

The efficacy of commencing a gluten free diet correlated directly with the youth of the patient and the duration of the epilepsy. In other words, the younger the patient and the less time that had elapsed from the initial seizure, the better the outcome of a gluten free diet. As we so often say, the sooner we can diagnose the better the result and the less damage created.

Cheating with Gluten Can Create Serious Damage

Another study involved 128 patients with celiac disease. They were placed into three groups: those who followed their gluten-free diet, those who occasionally cheated and those who did not follow the diet at all. The group that ate an unrestricted diet containing gluten accounted for 37% of the group. They had been eating gluten for about 11 years since their celiac diagnosis at the time of the study. When the researchers evaluated for short stature and epilepsy with brain calcifications, the occurrence of both was found only in the group consuming gluten in their diet.

Here at the clinic we have been fortunate in gaining an early exposure to several epileptics and as a result have seen excellent results.

Gluten Causes Many Neurological Problems

The facts are that gluten is responsible for a large variety of negative effects on the nervous system. From migraines to seizures, from depression to ataxia, from ADD/ADHD to schizophrenia, the list is long and unenviable.

The research has been done and continues to be done in expanding numbers – increasing awareness of celiac disease and gluten intolerance is where we have much work to do. Tell your friends and family and let’s start making a dent in all the needless suffering!

To your good health,
Dr Vikki Petersen
Founder of HealthNOW Medical Center
Co-author of “The Gluten Effect”

References:
Brain and Development, Volume 27, Issue 3, April 2005, Pages 189-200
Eponyms in Child Neurology “Coeliac disease, epilepsy and cerebral calcifications “

Archives of Disease in Childhood, 1994;70:211-213 doi:10.1136/adc.70.3.211
“Need for follow up in coeliac disease.”

http://www.healthnowmedical.com/blo...ntolerance-associated-with-epilepsy-seizures/

So far there is minimal proof that gluten sensitivity really exists to the degree some people claim.

Conclusion

The idea that gluten sensitivity is real and widespread goes far beyond the current scientific evidence, and the well-established facts of celiac disease. Time will tell if gluten avoidance follows the path of Candida, and other dietary fears and fads that preceded it. But it doesn’t need to. Given the protean nature of CD, symptoms cannot be dismissed as nocebo effects: A CD diagnosis needs to be ruled out before NCGS is even contemplated. Going gluten-free in the absence of a proper medical evaluation may not be directly harmful, but it complicates a diagnosis. Moreover, it can be expensive, and difficult to maintain 100% avoidance – essential with CD, but not established as necessary with NCGS. Besides, who really wants to cut out all gluten-containing products if they don’t need to? Until better diagnostic criteria are established, the N of 1 trial is probably the most science-based (if impractical) approach: single-blind challenges to measure for subjective or objective symptoms. Our challenge in dealing with dietary fads as health professionals is to recognize that some of our patients are suffering, and evaluate them in a science based way: without dismissing the symptoms, and without advocating dietary transformations that may be unnecessary.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/is-gluten-the-new-candida/

Despite numerous tests there is nothing to imply that coeliacs disease is related to epilepsy.
A 2008 literature review concluded that, "From the evidence-based perspective, there is conflicting evidence whether there is or is not an association between coeliac disease or auto-antibodies and epilepsy. As yet there is no compelling evidence that there is a causal relation. There probably is a specific syndrome—coeliac disease with epilepsy and calcifications—which is rare and perhaps geographically specific."[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-sensitive_idiopathic_neuropathies#Epilepsy

:dontknow:
I have received many positive messages from people that have improved from this information. The nay-sayers will always remain negative on the subject.

There is an old saying - correlation does not equal causation. For example, many people have felt sick after eating in a restaurant but most bacteria (and viruses) take longer than 24 hours to create symptoms so the most recent restaurant you've eaten at isn't necessarily the culprit.

It is for that reason that we try to prove that things work or don't. Unfortunately, there has been little proof of any sensitivity to gluten with the exception of coeliac disease nor has there been any connection of it to neurology yet.

It isn't a matter of being negative as much as wishing to see proof of existence. We've had numerous "diseases" that have been traced back to having been created on the web like Morgellons and I see skepticism as a way of reducing the probability of this happening again like many doctors think gluten sensitivity is.

Last edited:
I am not talking about bacteria and viruses after eating. I am talking about gastrointestinal distress. Perhaps you have never felt it after eating wheat products or dairy products, but it is real, and does not take 24 hrs to feel the symptoms.
For me that is proof enough.
I have talked with many people that have this sensitivity, and the longer they are away from these proteins the harder it hits them the next time they happen to eat it.
If you have not had this happen, you are not able to speak about it, or understand it.

How do you plan on proving this occurs. Do you want each of us to keep a chart? Perhaps my son could explain to you how he had to run the the mens room after any meal. Once he made the choice to stop eating this way, he has seen improvement.

It is a matter of being a naysayer. It doesn't work for you so you can't possible understand how others might improve with this knowledge. This will only be studied if and when it will financially benefit pharmaceutical companies.. or the depts at the universities funded by those same companies.

It is a matter of being a naysayer. It doesn't work for you so you can't possible understand how others might improve with this knowledge. This will only be studied if and when it will financially benefit pharmaceutical companies.. or the depts at the universities funded by those same companies.

Being a “naysayer” should be irrelevant as to whether something really works. Many people use AEDs that work even though they have no clue how and some people know how they work but they still don’t work on them. Saying that something only works for you if you understand it & you can only understand it if it works tells me that it is psychosomatic and probably doesn’t work.

I’ve seen many quacks use that “logic” that if it didn’t work on you then you just don’t understand it and you need to understand it for it to work.

I am not talking about bacteria and viruses after eating. I am talking about gastrointestinal distress. Perhaps you have never felt it after eating wheat products or dairy products, but it is real, and does not take 24 hrs to feel the symptoms.

Gastrointestinal distress can be caused by viruses but I know that’s not what you’re talking about. Sorry if I wasn’t clear but what if someone got a virus 24 hours before & they think it was the food they just ate. Like I said before, correlation does not equal causation.

For me that is proof enough.
I have talked with many people that have this sensitivity, and the longer they are away from these proteins the harder it hits them the next time they happen to eat it.
If you have not had this happen, you are not able to speak about it, or understand it.

If that is proof enough for you that’s great. To try to explain why it isn’t for me is because whenever a double blind study is done 2 groups are given a treatment. One is what is being tested (lets pretend it’s gluten) the other group is given a placebo. Now neither the subjects or the people treating the subjects know which group is getting what. Something that tends to happen is that the placebo group will feel “cured” even though they are not really receiving a treatment. This is very common & is why I need more proof that something works other than feeling better in correlation to having taken/done something.

How do you plan on proving this occurs. Do you want each of us to keep a chart? Perhaps my son could explain to you how he had to run the the mens room after any meal. Once he made the choice to stop eating this way, he has seen improvement.

Double blind studies seem to be the best way to get a general percentage of how many people (or groups of people) might react & how

If there were no studies done then you're saying that all your claims are anecdotal. However, despite your claim of a big conspiracy studies were done. The vast majority of them on celiac disease because there has been no indication in studies that anyone else is effected by gluten.

Last edited:
Celiac and Epilepsy Share the Same Genes

A study evaluating celiac disease, epilepsy and calcifications of the brain showed that the same genes involved with celiac were involved with epilepsy, specifically HLA-DQ2 and DQ8.

As someone with coeliac disease who appreciates the significant role these two genes play in the disease, thank you for this information, Robin. Very, very interesting!

We've had numerous "diseases" that have been traced back to having been created on the web like Morgellons and I see skepticism as a way of reducing the probability of this happening again like many doctors think gluten sensitivity is.

While I don't have anything to say about the Gluten-Free diet, as I have no personal experience with it, I must say you just made my day. After doing some basic browser searches into Morgellons just to satisfy my own curiousity, I got led deep into a conspiracy laden wonderland. :D

I must say, for a "disease" that was "discovered" by a mother who used her childs toy microscope, there's a lot of really random theorys about it...

My personal favorite is the theory that it's an extraterrestrial bacteria that's tuned by aliens to target only humans, except it's not as potent because of our gravitational field so it's only a painful annoyance, and not a deadly contagion. Because that is more logical, of course, than saying it was something else misinterpreted by a stay at home mother using a toy microscope.

As someone with coeliac disease who appreciates the significant role these two genes play in the disease, thank you for this information, Robin. Very, very interesting!

I have to admit it is amusing, especially in your case Chel. I’d be very curious about those genes if I were you, especially if you were born with both diseases. I do still feel that it doesn’t make sense that because to say that because same gene serotype or serotypes can give us different pathologies that one pathology should be treated with the cure for another. Using that sort of logic if a glucose free diet can cure epilepsy, then a Ketogenic diet would cure celiac disease

Also, it is not known what genes are associated with epilepsy it is thought that many more than just HLA-DQ2 & DQ8 are involved so it doesn’t make sense to associate all epilepsy with those two serotypes.

Many familial cases of epilepsy have been found to be caused by mutations in ion channel genes. However, most epilepsy patients outside these families do not carry these particular mutations. Therefore, despite these findings and despite the demonstrated high heritability, the particular genetic cause of the vast majority of cases of epilepsy has remained unknown.
http://wiringthebrain.blogspot.ca/2011/06/complex-interactions-among-epilepsy.html?m=1

Synaptic inhibition appears to be the most frequent target; however, each gene mutation retains unique phenotypic features. This review selects exemplary members of several gene families to illustrate principal categories of the disease and trace the biological pathways to epileptogenesis in the developing brain.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/14527270

I must say, for a "disease" that was "discovered" by a mother who used her childs toy microscope, there's a lot of really random theorys about it...

My personal favorite is the theory that it's an extraterrestrial bacteria that's tuned by aliens to target only humans, except it's not as potent because of our gravitational field so it's only a painful annoyance, and not a deadly contagion. Because that is more logical, of course, than saying it was something else misinterpreted by a stay at home mother using a toy microscope.

LOL, I have seen some of those. I have to admit they can be entertaining. It reminds me of a cartoon I read recently of a twitter conversation showing how careful we have to be regarding what we believe. It did surprise me though to find out that this was a real conversation with real Twitter characters.

Attachments

• swine_flu.jpg
    swine_flu.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This is the sort of patronising and belittling post that has kept me from this site for most of the last year.

I'm out.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be belittling but I do see those claims do contradict what is known about epilepsy & genes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom