Side effect/Profuse sweating

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anybody else experiences this or is it just me.

Profuse sweating-I can be just sitting down watching TV, when I concentrate on something, walking the dog when it's not that warm out, seems that I even sweat under water LOL.

When my son was about 10 yrs old, I took him and some of his friends skating. As I was tightening his skate, later one of the other kids said "why does your dad sweat so much". That really bothered me.

The sweating started in 1979 when I was first dx'd with epilepsy and the meds were perscribed.

FYI I get my blood pressure and sample blood taken once a week.
So far everything is normal. For the first 20 yrs it was done once a year, then the next 4 years it was every 6 months, then this past year it's every week.

I have to have it closely monitored and mantain a good theraputic level because it is made that much more difficult because of the fact that I'm also on meds for ulcerative colitis. If the level is the slightest bit off, it can affect the other condition.

For example, I take "MESASOL" for my colitis. It paints a protective coating on the bowel lining and because of this coating on my bowel walls, it makes it more difficult for the epilepsy meds to penetrate, but if I have a flare-up with my colitis, I have to double-up on the MESASOL and therefore, the bowel wall is that much more difficult to penetrate so I will also have to double-up on my epilepsy meds.

It's like walking a tightrope to make sure it doesn't go toxic.
I've had that happen to me and that's a whole different set of problems.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I did report this to all 3 of my Doctors and they don't know why this is happening.
It's not listed as one of the side affects from my meds. but I never thought to mention that (the part of the brain that controls temperature) so I will on my next visit.

Randy

That's a new one on me Randy. But if it make you feel any better, my younger brother has the same problem with profuse sweating and he doesn't have epilepsy or take AEDs. His hands and feet are constantly sweaty - even when in an air conditioned environment all day long. He's been that way ever since I can remember.

I've only had it since I started the AED's at age 21.

Back
Top Bottom