Sodium Channel Connects Epilepsy, Diabetes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
(March 3, 2009) -- A tiny pore or channel that governs the flow of sodium ions in and out of a brain cell where it can trigger nervous impulses and seizures also plays a pivotal role in the release of insulin and glucagon (hormones involved in maintaining levels of glucose in the blood) by islet cells in the pancreas, said researchers from Baylor College of Medicine.

"A more precise understanding of defective insulin signaling and the molecules that can amplify release may lead to important new strategies in both the molecular diagnosis and therapy of disorders such as diabetes and hypoglycemia," said Dr. Jeffrey Noebels professor of neurology, neuroscience and molecular and human genetics at BCM, who is senior author on the paper that appears online in the journal Endocrinology. The research took place in the Blue Bird Circle Developmental Neurogenetics Laboratory in the BCM department of neurology.

"None of the current medical textbooks show that sodium ion channels participate in physiological insulin or glucagon release," said Noebels.

Channel's role in release of hormones

A mouse bred with a defective gene for this particular sodium ion channel had both seizures and a dramatically impaired ability to release insulin and glucagon from the beta islet cells, said Noebels. Studies of the mouse islet cells showed that the sodium ion channel plays an important role in the pathway that leads to release of the hormones insulin and glucagon.

For a long time, scientists knew that insulin release from the pancreas depends on the ability of the organ's beta islet cells to sense the level of circulating glucose in the blood.

When sugar levels are high, the cell is depolarized by the closure of potassium channels, allowing a second key signal, calcium ions, to enter the cells. These trigger the release of small packets containing insulin to expel their contents in the bloodstream in a process known as exocytosis.
Similarity to release of neurotransmitters

This is similar to the way neurons in the brain release neurotransmitters. However, in the brain, the process begins with the opening of a sodium ion channel. Until now, while researchers knew there were sodium ion channels in beta islet cells, they did not think that they took part in the process of releasing insulin or glucagon.

The mouse studies confirm that the sodium ion channel plays an important role, said Noebels.

"It seems curious, but the islet cells from this mouse are sending a clear message, 'if you would like more sugar, please pass the salt,'" he said.

Much of the laboratory work was performed by Drs. Sara J. Ernst of BCM and Lydia Aguilar-Bryan, then of BCM and now with the Pacific Northwest Research Laboratories in Seattle.

Funding for this work came from the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation and the National Institute of General Medical Sciences.

The full report can be found at http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/150/3/1132.
http://www.bcm.edu/news/item.cfm?newsID=1353

hmmmm...would this explain my hypogycemia? Now I'm curious as to how many people on the site have either hypoglycemia or diabetes.....Is there a pattern? And if so, how come it took them this long to see it???

maybe because the neurologists are not connecting the brain to the rest of the body.
How many get checked for Celiac, or hypoglycemia. I asked a year ago for an extended test, and was denied. Yet when we did it a month ago, it showed problems. Having to wait two months for an appt. to be told.... what?

Only proves that the nervous system is truly connected to the whole self, and is kept healthy via nutrition. DUH

From what I understand about celiacs. Not all the test reliable, either way. False or positive. That the true "test" for celicas is when they find calcification on the brain. I guess it would show up on an MRI? You would "see" the results/effects of the celiacs. So if you see no calcification? "Supposedly" you cant be a celiac... Not swearing to it lol just sharing what Ive learned.

But its something between belly and gut, imho*

joan*

From what I understand about celiacs. Not all the test reliable, either way. False or positive. That the true "test" for celicas is when they find calcification on the brain. I guess it would show up on an MRI? You would "see" the results/effects of the celiacs. So if you see no calcification? "Supposedly" you cant be a celiac... Not swearing to it lol just sharing what Ive learned.

But its something between belly and gut, imho*

joan*

Personally I think the true test is to eliminate it. If you feel better once it has been removed, then you know you are sensitive to it. I don't think I need to wait for the calcification.
IMHO

How many get checked for Celiac, or hypoglycemia. I asked a year ago for an extended test, and was denied. Yet when we did it a month ago, it showed problems. Having to wait two months for an appt. to be told.... what?

Only proves that the nervous system is truly connected to the whole self, and is kept healthy via nutrition. DUH

When I originally started having SP & CP seizures in my younger days and didn't realize what was going on in my brain, hypoglycemia is the first thing the dr. checked for. But the test for hypoglycemia was negative at the time.
BTW, why were you originally denied the extended test, anyway? Doesn't make sense to me.

I know I have stated this before, but I now have Type 1 diabetes, brought on by another drug (an anti-depressant)!!!!!!! :(
I also think that some of the AEDs can cause hypoglycemia, so check into what you swallow!!

Fortunately, nowadays some doctors are beginning to make the mind/body connection. :)

Cindy

Cindy, I know that they did do a fasting blood test for Rebecca
However... the hypoglycemia did not show up on that
I asked about a year ago for the glucose tolerance test, and was told it would not help me in any way (that was from a pediatrician). I finally got the neurologist to ask for it, however, that request would then have to be given to the pediatrician who is the Primary Care. I did not at that time follow through since we were having a change over in Health Insurance. I am still not 100% positive if our neurologist will still be covered under the Health Net policy. I need to clear this up ... like today.

It wasn't until she had a seizure and the EMTs tested her and her Blood Glucose was at 30. That put the alarm into the ER doctor who requested it, and then the pediatrician could not deny it. I think there is some more education that needs to be done on the part of the pediatrician... yet I am so tired of finding the info, printing it out and giving it to them to read. I am having to pay to do their work. Makes no sense.

Know that feeling Robinn....maybe we should start charging docs to do their research for them? At least the cost of paper and ink. :)

Back
Top Bottom