tapeworms are the leading cause of seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Worms infect more poor Americans than thought

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Roundworms may infect close to a quarter of inner city black children, tapeworms are the leading cause of seizures among U.S. Hispanics and other parasitic diseases associated with poor countries are also affecting Americans, a U.S. expert said on Tuesday.

Recent studies show many of the poorest Americans living in the United States carry some of the same parasitic infections that affect the poor in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, said Dr. Peter Hotez, a tropical disease expert at George Washington University and editor-in-chief of the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases.

Read the rest of the article here

"In the hospitals of Los Angeles, California, neurocysticercosis currently accounts for 10 percent of all seizures presenting to some emergency departments," he wrote.

WOW...

Check them kids for WORMS before prescribing all these harsh meds!:soap:

I was told that sometimes these tests have to be done two or three times to get a positive reading. Plus some nasty gut bacteria have evolved to such a degree that some of the tests don't pick them up.

I do believe that one of the signs of tapeworms is not gaining weight. I know that sometimes parts of them will be released through feces. I remember watching a special on parasites in the US on TV. It actually was quite shocking as to how many people are affected by different types of parasites. There's even worms that end up in your eyes and you could actually see them moving in the guys eye. Gross!! With all the recalls of our foods, it doesn't surprise me that more Americans are being infected with parasites.

But I must add on the serious side,

1) I (along with other children) in
pre-kindergarten Private School was
hit hard with RINGWORMS.

The student who was infected was
from Columbia (I think that was what
my parents had told me repetitiously),
South America. I nearly went blind in
my left eye. The Ringworm infestation
was so bad I was Band-aid up (including
eye), hands, and various parts of my
body. For at that time everyone sat in
Alphabetical Order via last name and
he was the person next to me. If that
ringworm went just 1 millimeter more
into my eye it would have been severe
problems for me; I would have gone
blind in that eye. They had also had
to put drops in my nose, in my ears
and constantly check me everywhere.
I was QUARANTINED!

I think I can pull up the VHS and try
to snap it off from Digital Camera and
try to snap it and see if it works - just
to show you JUST HOW BAD the hit was!

It was critical! I was not even permitted
to cry, for water, dampness, anything wet
caused ringworms to grow.

2) I was also invaded by hook worms, which
normally is an animal parasite; no one knows
how I obtained it; but quite a few students
in school obtained it from eating school lunch,
but only specific batch of students. We all
were transported to Hospitals and had our
stomach pumped and were treated with meds
and were monitored by the Health Department
before we were given clearance to return back
to School. (This was a Public School)

3) Twice I was smacked with Ringworms and
both times were a result of exposure to working
in the "Habitat for Humanity" restoration project!
(Not building a home but rather, restoration of a
property for a very poor person but I decline to
disclose the race of the individual). Once as a
older Teenager under the Youth Group Team;
and later on again as a Volunteer.

4) My son and I were smacked in Georgia with
tapeworms from a Restaurant, because my son
has Chron's Disease, he's sensitive to this; and
as soon as I had to take him down to the ER,
the ER Doctor had me checked immediately, and
found me to be infected too. They called the
Health Department and I provided them the receipt
of the Restaurant that we ate (my ex was on the
road (Driver) so it was just my son and I). We
were fortunate we were treated quickly. We had
to take meds immediately and the Health Depart-
ment followed up on us very closely. Wanting to
know what we ate exactly and specifically. They
also posted alerts (and other people came forward
with complaints), that Restaurant was also
investigated immediately by the Health Department
and were found faults to a flaw that they shut
them down - from rats roaming freely to roaches,
and eggs on top of hot instruments instead of
being refrigerated and the list was so long, it
was unreal. They were not sure where the tape-
worms came from but they assumed it came from
an illegal slaughterhouse and illegally processed.
There were no way anyone could sue them or
the Owners (Incorporated), they were as stated
shut down and out of business.

5) The last batch, which left everyone puzzled,
was when we were at a Car Dealerships, and I
wore shorts, trying some new (BRAND NEW)
vehicles. The very next day I began to scratch
behind my leg, and it was all too familiar itch for
me. I looked in the mirror, that bulls-eye. I did
groan. I had to use alcohol and scrub my fingers
and fingernails clean and got the surgical scrubbies
and cleaned my hands. I had to tape that area
up and put a pair of pants on. RINGWORM! When
my ex saw it. Since then ... we made it a habit,
any time we look for vehicles, we wear pants!
I was lucky I caught that one in time and was
able to treat it.

Parasites - Worms are no laughing matter! Like
Head Lice ...

THEY ARE A MAJOR PITA!

Last edited:
Old Man picked up ringworm a few years ago. His butt was bothering him and when he dropped his pants there is was, about the size of a saucer right at the top of his crack. He must have picked it up in some public restroom.

It looks like this...

e3bb03e6.jpg

Here you go ... WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE OF ME

ringworms.jpg

That's my dad and I

Had to get it off from the VHS, my
parents took all the slides & 9mm and
converted it all to VHS, so it's digital
camera'd off from the TV set and that's
the photo of me ... Poor Me! And as I
posted - I was BANDAGED up!

:(

Last edited:
ewwwww
Ringworm isn't actually a worm, it is a skin infection caused by a fungus. But still, ewww eww eww
:sheep:

As for the other worms, ick ick ick
and ick ick ick again.

I saw a show on tv also about parasitic worms. It made me think about the stools our puppies left after giving them worm medicine. Kind of makes me want to take the pills myself just in case!:ponder: ;-)

Kerin

Okay, I'm going to scare you and\or gross you out!....

...anyone an X-file fan? Well, I was for the longest time in its hey-day. Anyways, there was an episode about a Russian 'flukeworm' that had mutated when exposed to radiation from Chernobyl (at least I think that's how it went down?)...ANYWAYS----here's the scary part:

I was watching this episode at home (probably 15 yrs ago now, different house, bachelor pad)...and I was by myself except for my cat Roscoe. Everything was cool until RIGHT WHEN THEN CREATURE WAS SHOWN on the show finally!......I noticed a REAL fluke emerging from my cat! (what are the odds on this timing?---I MEAN REALLY????) GROSSS!---GROSSSSSSS!!!!!!!------AAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
:eek::gnite:

But my point is....they (parasites) are definitely closer than you may think!
Be careful!
:agree:

... and haven't we had some dirty veggies here in the States causing ....Death?

... and haven't we had some dirty veggies here in the States causing ....Death?

Wasn't that Spinach? I believe that was
recently ... like last Summer a specific
brand product only, but they pulled tons
of them as precautionary measure only.

It may be an over reaction, but I started filling a basin with soapy water and putting the store bought fresh veggies and fruit in there and then rinsing before storing and eating them. (I'm too lazy to scrub)

Since I found a salad spinner at a yard sale it is easy to do even with the lettuce.

http://www.gseinformation.com/parasites.htm

According to one expert, Dr. Hazel Parcells, "Make no mistake about it, worms are the most toxic agents in the human body. They are one of the primary underlying causes for diseases and are the most basic cause for a compromised immune system." Dr. Parcells believes that "85 % of adult North Americans are infected with parasites." Dr. Ross Anderson, N.D. has stated, "I believe the single most undiagnosed health challenge in the history of the human race is parasites. I realize that is a pretty brave statement, but it is based on my 20 years of experience with more than 20,000 patients." So Dr. Parcells is not alone in her opinion. Ann Louise Gittlemann, in her book, "Guess What Came to Dinner: Parasites and Your Health", writes, "After more than 18 years of dealing with patients, I am convinced that one of the main causes for the chronically poor health of the people of our age is nothing other than parasites."

Here is another parasite that is being looked at in Los Angeles.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-chagas6nov06,1,2321365.story?track=rss

A Los Angeles County hospital has opened the first clinic in the country devoted to studying and treating Chagas disease, a deadly parasitic illness that has long been the leading cause of heart failure in Latin America and is now being seen in immigrant communities in the United States.

Last edited:
I know I am posting a year later, however, here in Miami, we have zillions of immigrants which is fine. However, I have noticed poor sanitary behaviors in some and wonder if this can cause worms or other things. I know that any time I eat at certain restaurants, I end up sick. Just because someone wears gloves does not mean that they do not do ugly things with those gloves. The gloves only protect THEM from US, not US from THEM. Such as cutting chicken and beef on the same board, etc.

I saw that on the news, gross, but it was true. I've often wondered if my compulsive eating was due to a worm, however after all the blood tests and stuff surely it would have been found and I am FAR from skinny.

Back
Top Bottom