thewayup.com

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angel

New
Reaction score
Im just doing some research on Complementary and Alternative Therapies Nutrition and Supplements "try only go organic" if you can

I thought it would be nice just to share what ive been reading and some of the sites that tell you more about herbs ect USE your best judgement as some herbs can effect your meds & possibly make you sick everyones different...

Herbs at a Glance:
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/herbsataglance.htm

Treatment or Therapy
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/bytreatment.htm

for anyone in oregon

http://www.portlandalternativemedicine.com/naturopathic_medicine/

Love angel

Last edited:
Your first link is to a website that sells supplements. It's not the type of authoritative source you should use to make decisions about health care IMO.

Ive read on the forum i cant remember where about some of you taking 5-HTP I had no clue what it was until i found this site http://www.goldenheartcenter.com

5-HTP can help increase serotonin levels in the brain, which some researchers think can lessen seizures by having a calming effect on the nervous system. Others feel that raising serotonin levels past a certain threshold may actually increase the frequency of seizures. While no conclusive studies exist, some doctors are using 5-HTP to treat seizures. This therapy should be used only under strict medical supervision. 5-HTP can have dangerous interactions with other medications, such as antidepressants and certain neurological drugs. Make sure your doctor has a complete list of your medications before starting you on 5-HTP therapy.

I going to talk to my doctor tomorrow about maybe taking this it might help with my funky ups and downs from the keppra.... I know ive been whining alot im trying to pull myself out of it :) by reading & learning to take care of myself so i can take care of the people i love...

Complementary and Alternative Therapies
You should always see a doctor if you or your child has a seizure. Taking some supplements and adjusting one's diet may help some people lessen the frequency of seizures, but the same supplements may have the opposite effect in some people. You should never take any supplements without your doctor's knowledge. You should never taking any medication your doctor has prescribed without your doctor's knowledge, either. Make sure all of your health care providers know of any medications, herbs, supplements, and regimens you are using.

I noticed when my family only ate organic foods we all felt better.... just this past month ive been buying reg food.... and can all ready feel the effects my kids are more hyper than they were when they were eating only organic... si i agree with others that diet is important...

Love angel

5-HTP

Are you taking B6 supplements? I've heard that it helps with the side effects of Keppra.

ive started taking wemens ultra mega's active again ive only gone two days with out taking it though.....

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: Two Tablets
Servings Per Container: 90

Amount per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin A 50% as beta-Carotene and 50% as Retinyl Acetate 5000 IU 100%

Vitamin C as Ascorbic Acid 200 mg 333%

Vitamin D as Cholecalciferol 400 IU 100%

Vitamin E as d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate 100 IU 333%

Vitamin K as Phytonadione 80 mcg 100%

Thiamin (B1) as Thiamin Mononitrate 80 mg 5333%

Riboflavin (B2) 80 mg 4706%

Niacin (B3) 35 mg 175%

Vitamin B6 as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride 80 mg 4000%

Folate,Folic Acid,Folacin 400 mcg 100%

Vitamin B12 as Cyanocobalamin 80 mcg 1333%

Biotin 300 mcg 100%

Pantothenic acid as Calcium d-Pantothenate 80 mg 800%

Calcium as Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Citrate Malate & Dicalcium Phosphate 500 mg 50%

Iron as Ferrous Fumarate 18 mg 100%

Iodine as Potassium Iodide 150 mcg 100%

Magnesium as Magnesium Oxide 250 mg 63%

Zinc as Zinc Oxide 15 mg 100%

Selenium as Hydrolyzed Protein Chelate 200 mcg 286%

Copper as Copper Glycinate 2 mg 100%

Manganese as Manganese Sulfate 2 mg 100%

Chromium as Hydrolyzed Protein Chelate & Chromium Picolinate 120 mcg 100%

Molybdenum as Sodium Molybdate 75 mcg 100%

Antioxidant Fruit and Vegetable Blend See Package Details for More Information 105 mg*

Alpha Lipoic Acid 25 mg*

Choline as Choline Bitartrate 10 mg*

Green Tea Leaf Extract Camellia Sinensis 10 mg*

Cranberry Concentrate Vaccinium macrocarpon 10 mg*

Inositol 10 mcg*

Silica 4 mg*

Boron (as Hydrolyzed Protein Chelate) 2 mg*

Lycopene 950 mcg*

Lutein as Lutein Esters 950 mcg*

Zeaxanthin 50 mcg*

Astaxanthin Haematococcus Pluvialis 50 mcg*

Vanadium as Sodium Metavanadate 10 mcg*

* Daily Value not established. Ingredients:Cellulose, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener), Vegetable Acetoglycerides, Chlorophyll, Cryptoxanthin

Back
Top Bottom