Top Ten Brain Foods For Children

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Now I don't think these are just for children.
Perhaps we all need to consider making sure they are currently in our nutritional plans.

Brain Foods

1. Salmon
2. Eggs
3. Peanut Butter
4. Whole Grains
5. Oats
6. Berries
7. Beans
8. Veggies
9. Dairy
10. Lean Beef (or meat alternative / iron rich foods)

Last edited:
Hmm...coinky dink? This is the same stuff they tell pregnant women to eat. :)

I personally have modified this in my house.

1. Instead of "Oats", they are gluten free oats. Made in factory that is not cross contaminated.
2. I do not use Peanut Butter, but have replaced it with almond butter. Ground fresh.
3. Our whole grains, are not from wheat. I have replaced this with, brown rice, quinoa, flax,
4. We do not use cow products any more. Our dairy when used is from goat milk. Percentage of casein in goat milk is far lower than cow, and easier for us to digest.
5. I personally don't eat beef, but my family on occasion will. I use baby spinach in sandwiches instead of lettuce.

Nutrition can play an important role in the prevention and management of many kinds of difficulties in behaviour, learning and mood. These include:

* Everyday difficulties in behaviour, learning or mood that can affect children and adults - at home, at school or in the workplace.
* Developmental conditions - such as ADHD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, and autistic spectrum disorders.
* Mental health conditions - such as anxiety, depression, bipolar (manic-depressive) disorder and schizophrenia.

Food and Behavioral Research

The seven additives linked by recent UK research (known as the 'Southampton Study') to increased hyperactivity in susceptible children. The first six are colours, the seventh is a preservative:

E102 Tartrazine
E104 Quinoline Yellow
E110 Sunset Yellow
E122 Carmoisine
E124 Ponceau 4R
E129 Allura Red
E211 Sodium Benzoate
Food and Behaviour Research

Back
Top Bottom