[News] Vimpat validated as promising therapy for uncontrolled partial-onset seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This from e! Science News…

http://esciencenews.com/articles/20...g.therapy.uncontrolled.partial.onset.seizures

A recent multi-center study has confirmed earlier study results that 400 mg/day of Lacosamide (Vimpat) provides a good balance of efficacy and tolerability for patients with uncontrolled partial-onset seizures (POS), and doses of 600mg/day may provide additional benefit for some patients.

Researchers from the Barrow Neurological Institute, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, Thomas Jefferson University Medical School, Arkansas Epilepsy Program, Schwarz Biosciences and Johns Hopkins University Hospital conducted this study which is available early online in Epilepsia, a journal published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the International League Against Epilepsy…

Their findings were that Lacosamide is emerging as a promising candidate to reduce seizure frequency and severity with few adverse effects.

The efficacy and safety of adjunctive Lacosamide for partial-onset seizures was established in three multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.

Results of the first trial indicated that study participants taking 400 and 600 mg/day of Lacosamide experienced significantly larger reductions in seizure frequency and significantly greater responder rates compared with placebo. Two additional phase III trials were conducted in parallel to confirm these results.

Study participants had at least a 2-year history of partial-onset seizures despite treatment with at least two AEDs (concurrently or sequentially) and were experiencing at least four partial-onset seizures per 28 days, with no seizure-free period longer than 21 days during the 8 weeks prior to baseline and during the 8-week baseline period.

Adjunct treatment with Lacosamide 400 and 600 mg/day was found to be effective in reducing the frequency of partial-onset seizures in patients with uncontrolled seizures while taking one to three AEDs concurrently.

“The efficacy results observed in this trial are notable given the epilepsy treatment history and the frequency of the seizures experienced by patients enrolled in this study.” Dr. Michael Sperling, one of the study authors, said. ”Despite this difficult-to-treat study population, treatment with Lacosamide 400 and 600 mg/day resulted in significant reductions from baseline in seizures, as well as significantly higher responder rates and a higher rate of seizure freedom compared with placebo—results that are comparable to established and second-generation AEDs.”

For further information about Lacosamide, go to the U.S. National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000506

Throwing this out there- I was prescribed vimpat in june 2010 and so far it's worked better than most medications I've tried, with few side effects.

This is

a cool thing, and probably will give more E patients some peace of mind.

My 12 year old just started Vimpat. He has tried so many different seizure medications that have not stopped his seizures. We are praying this is the one. He is only taking 50 mg 1x a day for the first week, then 50 mg 2 x a day for a week and finally a dose of 150 mg per day.

Aloha friends, I just came from a 'walk in' appointment with my hubby. I am having big trouble on Keppra xr (rage,deppression,rage, and rage oh yeah and insomnia). I like my neuro but hate that I have one...he changed me over to Vimpat, but I gotta admit I am afraid of the new and hate the other. I guess it is another round on the rollercoaster of E. Geez this is getting old-any other thoughts gang? My list of 'already been there,done that' is long.:ponder:

Give it a little time to get into your system and start doing its job.

After Keppra, I think the Vimpat will seem like a day at the beach!!! :)

Best of luck!

There's a clinical trial right now testing whether Vimpat is effective in monotherapy. Don't know how long until the results are out.

I'm on 3000mg a day Keppra and Vimpat was added and I'm on 200mg a day for that... I don't get many side effects from Keppra I think, but Vimpat is not easy so far. It's not having any kind of therapeutic effect either. Will see neurologist in may, I think he will either increase the dose or take me off it.

Forget the neuro....I need a cardiologist!! I just talked to my pharmacist and found out my co-pay is $75.00(us) HOLY SCHAMOLEY!! The cash price was 504& change...dare I say it, Thank God for my insurance company...ok, now I know I have lost my mind:roflmao:

Yeah, these AEDs ain't cheap, and the newer ones are usually the most expensive. My med (Lamictal) costs $1000/month without insurance, $50.00/month with insurance, and $15.00/month if I use the generic. So... I'm on the generic.

Back
Top Bottom