Vitamin Supplement Caused Hair, Nails To Fall Out

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdy,

Good topic. I saw this on our Atlanta news. I guess you can never say enough to check with your Dr..even with vitamins and supplements. They can interact..including foods. My brother-n-law just had a situation involving his heart. He had symptoms of a heart attack. After alot of testing and seeing the Cardiologist, they found that his fish oil had droppped his potassium very low. (Who would think of that??) Apparently, this can happen in some people. Always mention these to your physician..

Michelle

When you begin feeding babies you start with one food at a time.
Why on earth would someone take a product like this where you are slamming your system with multiple elements at once is beyond me.
It should always be suggested that you introduce one at a time, to see how the body reacts to it.

Being in tune with your own body does tend to help. I doubt doctors are going to really know what is going on, until something goes wrong... then they will always point to that.
We had a thread going a while back where AEDs deplete the body of Vit D. Not many have been warned of this by their doctor. Of course vitamins and minerals can be misused, but when used with care, they can offer a much better quality of life than their prescriptive alternatives.

... it warns several batches have excessive amounts of the mineral selenium. In excess, selenium caused hair and nail loss, cramps, diarrhea, joint pain and fatigue.

Don't they have some QA/QC measures in place to test the product before shipping? :ponder:

Vitamins and Minerals %Daily Values

Vitamin A (Palmitate) 5,000 IU 100%
Beta Carotene 5,000 IU 100%
Vitamin D3 400 IU 100%
Vitamin E Acetate 90 IU 300%
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 120 mg 200%
Thiamine 4 mg 267%
Riboflavin 4 mg 235%
Niacinamide 20 mg 100%
Pyridoxine HCl 4 mg 200%
Pantothenic Acid 30 mg 300%
Biotin 600 mcg 200%
Folic Acid 800 mcg 200%
Inositol 10 mg *
PABA 10 mg *
Choline 10 mg *
Vitamin B12 18 mcg 300%
Vitamin K 80 mcg 100%
Coenzyme Q10 10 mg *
Whole Grape Extract (Biovin TM) 10 mg *
Calcium 100 mg 10%
Magnesium 40 mg 10%
Zinc 3 mg 20%
Manganese 2 mg 100%
Copper 1 mg 50%
Chromium 200 mcg 167%
Selenium 200 mcg 286%
Molybdenum 200 mcg 267%
Vanadium 200 mcg *
Potassium 25 mg *
Iodine 150 mcg 100%
Boron 50 mcg *
*%Daily Value Not Established
** Total Vitamin A content 200% of Daily Value
Total Minerals: approx. 40,000mg per bottle
ADDITIONAL NUTRIENTS:
18 Amino Acids:

Phenylalanine, Methionine, Lysine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine, Threonine, Histidine, Tyrosine, Taurine, Cysteine, Arginine, Ornithine, Glutamic Acid, Glutamine, Proline, Glycine and Aspartic Acid.
3 Essential Fatty Acids:

Linolenic Acid, Linoleic Acid and Gamma-Linolenic Acid
Additional Trace Minerals:

Palladium, Neodymium, Bismuth, Cerium, Lithium, Gallium, Samarium, Phosphorous, Rhenium, Lutetium, Cesium, Rhodium, Dyprosium, Ytterbium, Indium, Strontium, Tantalum, Osmium, Zirconium, Holmium, Carbon, Tin, Gold, Nickel, Antimony, Lanthanum, Europium, Sulfur, Thallium, Tungsten, Niobium, Platinum, Aluminum, Thulium, Gadolinium, Titanium, Barium, Cobalt, Tellurium, Hafnium, Sodium, Berylium, Rubidium, Praseodymium, Silicon, Terbium, Yttrium, Bromine, Fluoride, Iridium, Thorium, Ruthenium, Erbium, Scandium, Cadmium, Chloride, Iron, Silver. There may be additional minerals in trace amounts.

I am not sure that 200 mcg would jump out as being excessive.

Selenium toxicity is rare in the U.S. The few reported cases have been associated with industrial accidents and a manufacturing error that led to an excessively high dose of selenium in a supplement [63,64]. The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences has set a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for selenium at 400 micrograms per day for adults to prevent the risk of developing selenosis [12]. Table 4 lists ULs for selenium, in micrograms per day, for infants, children, and adults.

Well, apparently, the problem is that some batches had much more than the listed 200mcg.

Well RobiN it was basicly a quality control problem

WARNING
PUBLIC NOTICE

IF YOU ARE TAKING TOTAL BODY FORMULA, LOT # 4016801, 4016802, 4024801, 4031801, 4031802 or 4031803 PLEASE STOP TAKING IT NOW AND CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN. THERE IS EXCESSIVE SELENIUM IN THE PRODUCT THAT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS.

http://www.totalbodyteam.com/

When you begin feeding babies you start with one food at a time.
Why on earth would someone take a product like this where you are slamming your system with multiple elements at once is beyond me.
It should always be suggested that you introduce one at a time, to see how the body reacts to it.

:agree:

It is just beat into our heads all the time to take a multi-vitamin. The doctors tell us, the government health agencies tell us, the media tells us. It is so easy to trust the "experts" on something that seems so basic and is OTC.

Different point, how the hell did humans evolve to this point without all these vitamins or a diet that provided them? Are we slipping backwards? Are other parts evolving faster than our nutrients can? It just seems weird that we need all this today. :ponder:

I would answer it this way ... our farming practices are different.
Our water sources have been contaminated.
Our bodies are burdened with many more air pollutants than ever before.
We take in excessive amounts of caffeine, alcohol, medications
Our stress levels are high
Processed foods are the norm not the exception.
We have over used antibiotics and vaccinations
We believe in quick fixes

I am sure I will think of more...

Good points

But people living in cities or large groups have been living in filth for centuries. Maybe it is the longer life expectancy and quality of life that the proper nutrition brings. I don't know - it just made me wonder how we could survive ice ages and now be brought down because we don't get enough or get too little sun.

More of a philosophical question.

:ponder:

Yes, Buckeye,

but back in the Ice Ages, they didn't have smog or pollution, or cars, factories or any of the other stuff that we have now, either to contaminate the food supply......and that has made a difference, too.

Don't you wonder how we're going to evolve in another couple of million years??? It strikes me as curious...........:ponder:

but back in the Ice Ages, they didn't have smog or pollution, or cars, factories or any of the other stuff that we have now, either to contaminate the food supply......and that has made a difference, too.

Don't you wonder how we're going to evolve in another couple of million years??? It strikes me as curious...........:ponder:

Or... are we going to evolve? :ponder: With all the mess we've created?

If we do evolve, we all will have new brains and can read each other's minds and control the future and go to the parallel universe...................:bigsmile:

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom