What Do You Do to Fight a Seizure From Coming?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lovelace

New
Reaction score
What do you do to fight off your seizures from coming?
I walk slower
I eat more
Distract myself
Get in different environments
Spend time with family
Watch a movie
Draw
Sometimes read
Meditate or pray
Take Valium for emergency medicine

My seizures are tonic-clonics without warning, so I can't really delay them. But there are moments when I have felt a little "off" and a little worried about the possibility of a seizure, and at those times I will do deep (diaphragmatic) breathing. There are also two acupressure points that I will push sharply on -- one at the base of the nose, and one at the base of the thumb. I don't know whether those acupressure points have any effect on the brain or on seizures (probably not), but pressing on them does give me something to focus on and be proactive about.

I drink a lot of water and or try to will myself out of it.

Other times I will take a valium tablet to stop it, but that always leaves me fighting the valium effects

I drink a lot of water and or try to will myself out of it.

Other times I will take a valium tablet to stop it, but that always leaves me fighting the valium effects

Valium makes me groggy and I'm not sure if it's been the cause of the sleep paralysis I get occasionally. My husband has recommended trying the cannabis oils. thinking about it.

I wish I could stop/prevent them. I can feel my simple partials coming on, however, there's nothing I can do to prevent them from fully coming on. My complex partial seizures are a real problem--I don't have any aura, so I can't stop them from coming.

My daughter takes a Clobazam tablet if she feels dizzy and that's always stopped a seizure coming on with no side effects, not even tiredness. I'm sure one of those would knock me out but she sails through it.

Hi Lovelace,

I tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fists and this will stop the seizure if I do it quick enough another thing I do is put a cold washcloth on my face and the back of my neck this calms the neurons down in the brain and stops many seizures, its called cold water therapy. Wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I can't do anything, other than just taking my med's at, or about, the same time every day and hoping that I don't have 1, or 2...

I'm never aware of a seizure starting or having had 1 unless I have lost bladder control. Otherwise it's like I've blinked, no time has passed.

Hi seizuregirl,

Do you keep track of your seizures and write down when they happen on a calendar, if you do you may see a pattern in your seizures as to the date they will happen by doing that you will be prepared in case you do have a seizure on certain days or certain times of the day or night. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Porkette,

I've tried to keep journals' of everything, when I took my med's, time's that is, I was alright with that, it didn't happen everyday though, noting my monthly cycle too, and when I thought I had 1 if no-one was around to witness it and tell me about it, which is what block's me from keeping a journal is that I'm rarely aware of them, unless I've lost bladder control and that hasn't happened much lately, I'm very happy about that! to note it on that day to see if there is a pattern.

It's frustrating for sure, but that's how I've learned to live with them, I just go day to day!

Last edited:
Hi seizuregirl,
Just like you there will be times when I'm not sure if I had a seizure, when that happens I take note of how I feel ex. am I more tired, was I confused for a few seconds, did I forget what was going on etc. Then I know I've had a seizure. If you have any signs that you've had a seizure after the seizure is over like a headache, feeling tired etc. that may be a sign you had a seizure. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I have tried talking myself out of it, trying not to think out of it, taking deep breaths.
I remember once I felt an aura come on at my old job so went down to the back room where i used to go & tried to tell myself I wouldn't have a seizure. I ended up having one of the longest simple partials I'd had for a while.

Now alot of my partials I either dont get any warning or very little warning to do anything except if I'm at work & I dont feel right Ill go into the back office.

At my last neuro visit my neuro confirmed that I am having seizures in my sleep & more possibly more then we realise but hard to tell how often as I live alone. Only way I usually know is if I wake up and feel like I haven't slept or have a pounding headache which usually takes me a couple of days to get rid of. I did get a fit bit after my last neuro follow up & wear it to bed more to monitor how often I wake & how restless I am at night.

I have tried talking myself out of it, trying not to think out of it, taking deep breaths.

That's another thing I try to do, is keep myself busy and try not to think about it. I'm part of a study and my doctor wants me to record my auras and triggers every time I feel them. When my mind is distracted and off of my sickness I actually feel better most of the time.

Hi Porkette,

I've tried to keep journals' of everything, when I took my med's, time's that is, I was alright with that, it didn't happen everyday though, noting my monthly cycle too, and when I thought I had 1 if no-one was around to witness it and tell me about it, which is what block's me from keeping a journal is that I'm rarely aware of them, unless I've lost bladder control and that hasn't happened much lately, I'm very happy about that! to note it on that day to see if there is a pattern.

It's frustrating for sure, but that's how I've learned to live with them, I just go day to day!
I can't seem to live with them. I have them on both sides of the brain. Every time it seems new. I was told my condition is progressive. Tried keeping notes , but just like you it is very hard. Wish the best for you and God bless you.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I have a Vagus Nerve Stimulator and a Deep Brian Stimulator that fight for me. When sensing a seizure about to take place I use the Vagus Nerve Stimulator magnet and let things take it's course. In my situation it was discovered there is a lot of activity happening on one side of the brain during the 1995 surgery however during the mapping in 2011 something took more focus as activity was shown there is something taking place on the right as well even though most of it is happening on the left. So what the neurosurgeon did with the Deep Brain Stimulator is map my entire head with one lead so both sides are covered with the DBS and all activity is being picked up by the stimulator. The VNS is a backup in essence but we are leaving it in for now because we know it does a job that is needed and meets requirements, why break something if it isn't fixed? That is my story in having both of the stimulators and they have given me a brand new life.

I take my rescue med, clonazepam. (Clonapin)
Before that, I’ll rub the roof of my mouth with my tongue, or count the number of things in the room that are red or blue or x color. take deep breaths. I’ll eat something sour or really sweet if available to distract my brain. Sit myself down in a safe place, so that if I were to have a tonic-clonic/grand mal I wouldn’t get hurt and this reduces my anxiety.

I wish I had some type of warning before my complex partials. There is no way for me to prevent a seizure from occurring. Unless there's a witness or I've hurt myself, I don't even know that one has occurred.

I almost never know that I'm going to have or a seizure or that I've had one, someone usually has to see it happen. I've done things when I'm alone that I think I might have done during a seizure though. Like when I've scribbled all over a crossword puzzle page, got in bed in the afternoon with my clothes on and other things of that sort.

I have a VNS and if I feel like a seizure might be coming on I'll use it. There's been times with that though that I haven't caught it in time to use it right. I've rubbed it on the wrong side of my chest. I've used used other things too, like the phone or the tv remote. But I still don't' realize that I've done them, or even used my magnet if I did, at all useless someone sees me.

What caused my seizures to begin was the Diphtheria shot given to children in 1969 - I was born in 1968.

There's scar tissue on the right side of my brain--I was a forceps delivery. That's the cause of my simple partials. What caused me to have the tonic clonics in 1987 & the complex partials to begin 20 years ago, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom