what is myoclonic sz.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Myoclonic is one of my seizures and that is what my son has. You know when you are falling asleep? And you are getting really relaxed? Your arm might jerk or a finger? Just cause you had a busy day and you are really tired. Well, that is normal. And it comes from your spine. A lot of people get it mixed up. Then there is the myoclonic seizure. Generalized, usually. My head turns sideways at night, my sons legs will both pull up at the same time. A very good drug for this if used correctly is depakote. Lamictal is also used but it can also increase it. Left uncared for they can be very damaging.

Alright,there are also myclonic flurries. I have those to. They can almost look like tonic clonic seizures but they are not. I will be in a sound sleep and my feet will go flying! Or During the day I will drop things on the floor. If my seizures are not under control. Such as my keys and not even know that it happenned.Then I am looking everywhere! Then I lose time in my head.Its crazy. But it is very controlable.

Hi There

Myoclonic Seizures. Well, Myoclonic means "muscle jerk" and these seizures involve the jerking of a limb or part of a limb. They are brief but can happen in clusters.(many happening close together in time). It is common for them to happen shortly after waking up. They can happen on their own, but it is more common for them to happen aswell as other types of seizures, such as tonic clonic seizures. There are some Anti-convulsants that will aggravate Myoclonic Seizures, these include, Carbamazepine, Gabapentin, Tiagabine, and Vigabatrin. The AED's that may help include, Clonazepam, and Piracetam.
I hope this helps you, and that you get as much help from this site as we all have, it is great. All the best to you.

Cheers

Elaine

I've knocked over many coffee mugs and cereal bowls due to those jerks. Before I was better controlled anyways. We had some seriously mismatching china, hah.

I have ear ticking in my left ear that has to do with my myoclonic seizures. There is a lot to know about it.Topamax,Depakote is a very good drug for myoclonic siezures . It just has to be used correctly. My son is on both and they work very well. But I also have a very good epileptologist who knows his meds.

I have ear ticking in my left ear that has to do with my myoclonic seizures. There is a lot to know about it.Topamax,Depakote is a very good drug for myoclonic siezures . It just has to be used correctly. My son is on both and they work very well. But I also have a very good epileptologist who knows his meds.

Yeah, Depakote worked wonders for me. I just wish there was something I could do about the side effects, I get some pretty awful memory loss. Does your son have that side effect / is there anything you guys have found that counters it well?

I Didn't Know

that Gabapentin can make myo's worse...I'm now taking 1200mg/day Gabapentin for my complex partials,and they are adding topamax,I'm at 50mg/day so far,to combat my myoclonics...:ponder:

My son's memory is very good right now. Short term is a little difficult but I have seen the out come. I have felt it. I can deal with some loss of memory, mostly after my coma. Then go into a gran mal. or to watch him go into one. He has not had a grand mal. But they spread like wild fire if not under control. Lamictal is another one for myoclonics. but it can go both ways. It can be a savior for myos or cause more.

my eye and my neck jerk for anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. Sometimes my neck will stiffen and my head will turn. It does not hurt, it is very annoying

Hello Grateful, My name is Teresa. One of the types of seizures I have are myoclonics. And if those are seizures they would probably be classified as cluster myoclonic . They are usually generalized seizures. Which means they are all over the brain. My neck turns and my body jerks. Sometimes I have them all night and sometimes none at all. I do have them durring the day to. Pain in the you know what! I get them from being on the computer. Or stress. Have it checked out. ok?;)

I am waiting for a second opinion on my seizures which are probably psychogenic. My stangest one was one where I was shaking only my head side to side like saying no really hard for about twenty seconds, myoclonic? It has only happened once so far.

Thanks,

John Runer

STil Dancing...you have a great attitude, and I am hoping to bak there, just feel like I am in crisis. Thanks....Ive had these for 20 years...but under control. I started taking Tegretol at 15 years old and at 1200 mgs, and for the past two years I was on 200 mgs of Tegretol. Just recently Tegretol stopped working, I was having up to 500 or more of these a day. They boosted my Tegretol up to 1000mgs and I had three tonics on Friday. What medication do you take? if any? I am now on 600 mgs of Teg and 1000 of Keppra, still having seizures, but only about 100 a day. Gratefully, I see a new Dr on Tuesday.

There are some great new drugs for myoclonic seizures that are just comming out. 100 a day is too much for me. And J. I turn my head. And so does my son. Mostly nocturnal. Some times just my fingers, sometimes just my face. Or whole body jerks at night. That would be a good one to go and be monitored for. Opinion. Those little seizures are a big pain in the butt. ;)

I get my jerks mainly when i talk. i learned i have to think a bit more before i try to say something especially in a hurry. I hate it though. My hands are starting to "jerk" more too. I started generic keppra close to 3 weeks ago my side effects are horrible so the dr told me to stop (it will be 48hrs today) so i will be waiting for the "jerks" to come back it's annoying but scared they might come back stronger.

I do get them when I talk now. I have been taking
zonegran for myoclonics it worked for a while but not any more. And I am on lorazepam, Keppra, and Vimpat.The docs are changing the zonegran for a new one (forgot the name.) Because I did just have them at night. Now I am having them during the day, like throwing my purse, lol, and stuttering,It's all good.

wow i feel so new to the AED field now??? does anyone else notice the mouth twitching/jerks?? when i tell people they are like no?

Back
Top Bottom