What You Should Know About Organic Foods

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angel

New
Reaction score
http://www.whfoods.com/organics.php

What You Should Know About Organic Foods

Organic Foods Just what does it mean when a food is labeled organic? The U.S. Department of Agriculture finally issued a new national seal designed to bring clarity and assurance to consumers that foods bearing the seal are certified organic following USDA standards which were 10 years in the making.

Organic Label Beginning Oct. 21, only foods certified as at least 95 percent organic - that is, produced without most pesticides, toxic fertilizers, growth hormones and antibiotics - will be allowed to carry the official "USDA organic" seal.

One caveat: The new rules apply only to food produced on or after Oct. 21, so it may be several months before the seal becomes commonplace in grocery aisles, particularly on packaged foods where the turnover is slower.

The new USDA national standards replace what had been a mishmash of certification systems run by individual states and private groups. The USDA seal will ensure consumers are actually purchasing a product that is truly organic rather than a creatively worded package that advertises itself as organic when only a few ingredients actually are.

Under the new rules, foods will be labeled as belonging to one of four categories:

1. Food that is 100 percent organic may carry the new "USDA organic" label and say "100% organic."
2. Food that is at least 95 percent organic may carry the new seal.
3. Food that is at least 70 percent organic will list the organic ingredients on the front of the package.
4. If a product is less than 70 percent organic, the organic ingredients may be listed on the side of the package but cannot say "organic" on the front.

The national organic program rules prohibit the use of conventional pesticides, petroleum- or sewage-sludge-based fertilizers, bioengineering or ionizing radiation and synthetic substances. Foods certified as organic must be produced using growing methods that minimize soil erosion and that maintain or enhance the fertility of the soil. Organic farms need to prove that these materials have not been used for at least three years. Organic meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones, must be fed organic feed and have access to the outdoors. Before a product can be labeled "organic," an inspector visits the farm where the food is produced to make sure the farm meets USDA standards.

Look for the word "organic" and a small sticker version of the USDA organic seal on vegetables or pieces of fruit or on the sign above the organic produce display. The word "organic" and the seal may also appear on packages of meat, cartons of milk or eggs, cheese and other single-ingredient foods. Use of the seal is voluntary.

The federal government's stamp of approval is an important step toward mainstream acceptance for the rapidly growing industry. Organic food sales in the U.S. are increasing by about 20 percent a year and are expected to surpass $11 billion in 2002 and $20 billion in 2005.

The new USDA's national criteria for labeling are aimed at enabling consumers to make an educated choice among the foods they purchase and also include the safeguard of fines for misrepresentation. New federal laws for organic certification assess penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation of selling or labeling products "organic" when they are not or when organic food is contaminated with non-organic compounds. This means that the organic grapes can.t be contaminated by the non-organic apples. Separate tubs and wash water are used to trim and clean produce and if there is an organic display in a place where non-organics have been, it is required that the nonskid mats be replaced and the area cleaned with a mild, bleach solution.

For more detailed information on the USDA organic standards, visit http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop, call the National Organic Program at 202-720-3252, or write USDA-AMS-TM-NOP, Room 4008 S. Building, Ag Stop 0268, 1400 and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250.

* Organic Foods
* FAQs about the World's Healthiest Foods
* How to Fully Understand the Labels on Organic Foods
* Why Organic Foods Are Better for Health
* Why Organically Grown Foods Are Better for the Health of the Planet
* How to Understand the New Regulations of Organic Foods

WHFoods :e:

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this Angel. It is good to know that they are cleaning up the rules.

Under the new rules, foods will be labeled as belonging to one of four categories:

1. Food that is 100 percent organic may carry the new "USDA organic" label and say "100% organic."
2. Food that is at least 95 percent organic may carry the new seal.
3. Food that is at least 70 percent organic will list the organic ingredients on the front of the package.
4. If a product is less than 70 percent organic, the organic ingredients may be listed on the side of the package but cannot say "organic" on the front.

And guess what? The FDA & Department of
Agriculture may change the rules again!
*sigh*

There was a blurp in the newspaper not that
long ago in regards to "organic" food, spices,
including perishables & meat products. And
a quick blurp later on in the media ~ there
may be a revision and revamping on "Organic"
Products which will ALSO include the Vitamins,
Health Products, and other products in addition
to the above listed products. So expect this
to be coming out soon.

The primary concern was this:
'Not all organic foods are healthy and safe,
and could be hazardous and dangerous; and
in some cases may result death. It is currently
being reviewed."

I've been keeping an eye on this (My newspaper
has this Food Section out on Thursdays, so they
publish stuff like that when it comes to little
things like the above ...).

The latest thing I've known since way back in
late 1990s' was that it is not good for you to
eat the entire wheat kernels or purchase them
and process them yourselves; hence why they
have stopped making them available in Health
Food Stores as a whole & bulk, unless you're a
Wholesaler and/or Supplier.

I used to process my own Wheat Kernels and I
miss it and it was all due to the chemicals that
farmers used including "unknown sludge" that they
use to feed the plants that may be hazardous to
one's health.

:ponder:

A ploy or a push to buy Manufacturer's Products?

And guess what? The FDA & Department of
Agriculture may change the rules again!
*sigh*

There was a blurp in the newspaper not that
long ago in regards to "organic" food, spices,
including perishables & meat products. And
a quick blurp later on in the media ~ there
may be a revision and revamping on "Organic"
Products which will ALSO include the Vitamins,
Health Products, and other products in addition
to the above listed products. So expect this
to be coming out soon.

The primary concern was this:
'Not all organic foods are healthy and safe,
and could be hazardous and dangerous; and
in some cases may result death. It is currently
being reviewed."

I've been keeping an eye on this (My newspaper
has this Food Section out on Thursdays, so they
publish stuff like that when it comes to little
things like the above ...).

The latest thing I've known since way back in
late 1990s' was that it is not good for you to
eat the entire wheat kernels or purchase them
and process them yourselves; hence why they
have stopped making them available in Health
Food Stores as a whole & bulk, unless you're a
Wholesaler and/or Supplier.

I used to process my own Wheat Kernels and I
miss it and it was all due to the chemicals that
farmers used including "unknown sludge" that they
use to feed the plants that may be hazardous to
one's health.

:ponder:

A ploy or a push to buy Manufacturer's Products?

Watch out for Ginko Biloba. It's definitely a bad thing for somebody with E. And some oriental foods have hidden caffeine. There are red beans from oriental food stores that are definitely not good for you. I really read labels. One non-obvious one was water. It's possible to drink too much water (the news recently published a death of someone drinking too much of it). I would imagine it washes meds out of anybody's system. The person who died from too much water lost his/her potassium and electrolytes. There are some chemicals like Malitol which cause diarrhea. I think sorbitol is also another sweetener in this category. Not all labels give that little warning.

Back
Top Bottom