1 year 1 month 1 day

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
That is how long my 4 year old Danny has gone without a SZ. On Friday Jan. 23, 2009 my son had to what my heart says a complex partial SZ. All the medical information and personel says it was a fibral seizure. Danny has been running a low grade fever since Thursday night. Friday night comes and boom a seizure. He can out of it shivering like he was freezing EMT's were there when he was out of his seizure. We called them at the 3 minute mark. All in all it lasted just until 5 minutes.

Went to the hospital his temp was 101.7. He gets fibral seizures when his temp spikes. But this seizure looked like his "normal" seizure not a fibral seizures. But everything points to a fibral seizure.

He is on depakote, which is supposed to stop fibral seizures. Who knows I am still numb and shaking a bit as I type this. I guess it back to waiting and hoping.

Its not fair and I know I am being selfish, he is a great kid. What master plan has my family going through this.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel a bit confused and still dazed...

You know your son better than the doctors. If you feel it was a complex partial, then it very well may have been. It can be disappointing after going so long without a seizure.

My son went almost 19 months without one, then boom, January 2nd brought on an episode that went downhill fast (several seizures in a cluster) and we ended up being med-flighted to Children's Hospital. I was able to review the days leading up to his seizure to find the triggers (lack of sleep and diet changes).

If you don't feel that fever was the cause, can you pinpoint any other changes in his diet, stress, sleep schedule, etc over the last few days? Don't give up hope. I was a mess for the first week after my son's seizures, but thankfully he has remained seizure free since then. It really helps me to know his triggers so that we can avoid them through proper rest and nutrition.

Thank you for your response, I have gone through his journal and eating habits were normal he did not have as many naps b/c the doctor said we should start reducing them. But he was normal naps during the week.

Thank you for listening.

It is frustrating when they do well for such a long time I am sure. I get excited when my daughter makes it past a monthly mark.

Perhaps there is something else that is entering into the picture that is lowering his threshold. Something very specific to him.

Maybe weight? He is still on the beginning dose of the depakote. Unlike the others where we had to keep upping it.

Who knows, thanks for you response. It means a lot to me and my selfishness.

Hi Bensalem! Actually, don't be discouraged. Lot's of people who are well controlled with meds will have their seizure threshold lowered by illnesses like the flu, etc. As for your question about the depakote. The only way to know if he needs to have his meds upped is to have bloodwork done. If he's gained a lot of weight or gone through a growth spurt, he may need to have his meds upped.. But his doc might want to leave him where he's at for as long as he can....

Thank you for your response, we will be checking with the doctor today. I am feeling a tad better today. I just have to stay strong like the rest of you.

All of you give me great hope and strength, you are all in my thoughts I just wish I could help you like you all have helped me.

Like Skilley has stated, I'm all for it! The best thing
to do is keep in rapport with the Doctor and make
notes of such so he can be monitored. But also keep
in mind -- "medication is not a cure-all" unfortunately,
although it would be nice if it was! But here's hoping
for all the best and a big turn around and hope he's
feeling better too!

Sorry he had to undergo such a down-time like this
though, but it isn't the 'end of the world' but it can
sound sometimes 'discouraging' and make people wonder
if all efforts had failed.

One year of seizure control is awesome - especially considering that's a 1/4 of his life so far. :)

I'm sure Danny will bounce back stronger than ever.

Back
Top Bottom