2 Dumb Cops & Epilepsy patients

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BIGMAN131307

Veteran
Reaction score
Inquiry into epileptic fit arrest

The arrest of an man with epilepsy in Ballymoney is being investigated by the police ombudsman.

It is alleged that Melvyn Graham, 46, was handcuffed while he was having a seizure on the Frosses Road last month.

His sister, Mandy, said the police may have mistaken Melvyn for a drunk or a drug abuser and he had suffered nerve damage in his wrists.

The PSNI said officers, using minimum force, restrained a person suffering from a known medical condition

Hmm, a known epileptic being treated like a common crook. I'd like to hand cuff that cop, and bang him against a brick wall a few times. I wonder if he would like that.

Officer Tasers Epileptic 14-Year-Old Girl in the Head

A New Mexico teenager is recovering in the hospital after she was reportedly shot in the head with a Taser dart by a local police chief. According to the Portales News-Tribune, the 14-year-old girl was hit in the head by one of two darts fired simultaneously as she fled police. The second dart shot her in the hip.

IMHO this was unnecessary lethal force. The cop could've killed the girl on the spot. This cop should be doing some time for this crap. All cops are trained not to discharge their weapons unless they have a clear shot. The tasers are to be fired at the suspects chest, back, or legs. This incident is a result of an over weight desk jockey trying to be top cop.
To bad he failed miserably.

We just moved, and I am wondering if I should go introduce Rebecca to the local officers and paramedics.

This is such sad news. It really is heart breaking. I do understand from the police perspective, when so many are on drugs that cause irrational behaviours. Instead of a Wanted poster, maybe we need a Who to Protect poster.

That really is disturbing :S

I also understand the police perspective in that when faced with a potential volatile situation they may react and think about the consequences later - but on both counts here, I find it utterly incomprehensible why this level of force was needed.

Just completely dumbfounded!

I had someone call the police on me once after I had a seizure and I was really disoriented and I couldn't remember the way home.The treated me really bad but they ended up getting a lecture on epilepsy from me. I live in a small town.
Belinda:twocents::agree:

When I lived in Dallas, I was driving to go get dinner (should not have been driving anyway) and had a seizure. Next thing I knew I was in the back of a police car, handcuffed, trying to explain I had epilepsy. They didn't believe me. They thought I was on drugs. When the tow truck driver came, he told the police officers that yes I was acting strange, and that the way I was acting was post-ictal. He knew because he had epilepsy. I was saved by a tow truck driver. They released me and my vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom