about to start crying

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

allie510

New
Reaction score
Okay I just found a bald spot the size of a quarter on my scalp. I mean it's like hair has never grown there and it wasn't there last week ..I get my hair done weekly. This whole thing is starting to really scare me. I took my meds like 3x last week be4 reading here that I shouldn't just do that so im not taking it but still I don't think 3 days of meds is going to do this to my hair ..it didn't do it when I was on it for 5 months. Guys this whole thing is starting to really get to me. Im in tears almost.
Oh and I found out my appt. which im super anxious about and just want over isn't until next thurs. the 29th. ..
Im really just having a hard time with this.

Oh my, what a nightmare. I can understand you're crying. I would worry my head of.! Call your doc as soon as possible to get that appt earlier!
Hug for you. Try to get some sleep.

I hope you feel better very soon. Try not to let it get to you. I know it's easier said then done.

Definitely not a side effect of medication i would tolerate well, so i can understand your sadness. Are you being treated for other medical conditions, or is EP the only one, and your medication is new to you? Definitely report this to your doctor--and get checked for vitamin deficiency as well. I was found to be extremely Vitamin D deficient after 1 year of Keppra...but i didnt drink a ton of milk either during that time...Please tell us more.

I had hair loss when I first went on the medication I'm on now (Lamictal), but as my body adjusted to it that particular side effect went away (I still experience other side effects.) Hair loss can be caused by medications, but also by stress, and by nutritional deficiencies, so definitely mention it to your doctor. And in the meantime be gentle with your hair -- if it's falling out, it may be best not to have it done so often. Sometimes switching shampoos helps, or taking a Biotin supplement.

Hi allie510,

I used to be a hairstylist. Medication and hormonal hair loss is usually more evenly spread. A quarter sized smooth bald spot sounds more like alopecia areata. That tends to be stress induced (isn't everything). I've known people who've had it treated with cortisone shots. You may need a dermatologist to fully diagnose and treat it. Or it may just come and go on its own with stress.

I tend to have allover hair loss and a lot of breakage. I use a product line called Nioxin. A friend with cancer turned me onto it. The basic line is a shampoo and conditioner, and you can add an intensive scalp treatment for the spotted area. I've used it for 5 years and wouldn't be without it. It can be a bit pricey for a shampoo. You can find it at many salons. We have a store here called Trade Secret that carries it or if you have a friend in the industry they can get it for you at a beauty supply store or direct from the manufacturer. Some online stores carry it as well. It comes in 4 types. 2 for natural hair and 2 for chemically treated. Then they're broken down by severally or slightly thinning.

Hi Allie! bummer....but I think Flinnigan's right. The hair loss from meds is not usually in one isolated spot. If it's med related, it tends to be all over the scalp. So I'd go to the dermatologist or doc about the new bald spot.

Rebecca had loss of hair with her medication. Can't remember which one it was, but I do remember her commenting on it often. I had hair loss after my pregnancy, so it certainly was a hormonal issue for me. Most likely a toxic reaction for her.

Rebecca did have an issue with one of her medications, where she pulled out quite a bit of hair, but did not remember doing so.

Alopecia - I do believe is an auto-immune disorder. My son that has vitiligo was told by his doctor that vitaligo, Alopecia, Diabetes, and one where your organs begin shutting down, are all within the same family of auto-immune disorders.

auto immune issues are when your immune system is over loaded. Consider that your liver is congested and can no longer manage to remove the toxins from your system. Then they are dumped back into your body and it over reacts.
I am not sure I explained that correctly, but it is my understanding in a nutshell

Back
Top Bottom