About weaning of Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
Due to another medical condition, I am no longer able to take Lamictal.

My doctor's plan is to "wean me off" Lamictal by "topping it off" with Risperdal. I would think it makes sense to slightly lower mg dose of Lamictal and introduce a small dose of Risperdal. A little balancing act.

I looked into Risperdal and when I read the following, I had to ask myself is my doctor just plain ignorant or trying to do me in (exageration humour - but not so funny)

Here's what I've discovered about Risperdal

RISPERDAL® CONSTA® should be used cautiously in people with a seizure disorder, who have had seizures in the past, or who have conditions that increase their risk for seizures.

I don't think I have to say that I have not followed his instructions (he's also made risky recommendations in the past). I will be looking for a new doctor but am hesitant to trust any doctor's judgement at this point.

I'm at my wit's end and am thinking of going holistic.

http://www.risperdalconsta.com/about-risperdal-consta/what-about-the-side-effects

Last edited:
So will you be staying on the Risperdal after you're completely off the Lamictal? It looks like a fairly unpleasant med in terms of potential side effects (like all the brain meds, I guess).

Something thing to watch out for: One case report suggests that Lamictal may increase the plasma concentrations of Risperdal. This means that you need to be careful with the initial dosing of Risperdal (since the Lamictal may make it more concentrated in your system). You also need to monitor Risperdal levels closely as you withdraw the Lamictal, since they may drop at the same time.

Generally speaking, proceed with caution (no driving/heavy lifting) until you get a sense for how the meds are affecting you in combination. As you say, they make make you more drowsy, since they can both depress the central nervous system.

Nakomova said:
So will you be staying on the Risperdal after you're completely off the Lamictal? It looks like a fairly unpleasant med in terms of potential side effects (like all the brain meds, I guess).

No. I will not be going anywhere near Risperdal

And Nakamova, thank you for this information, very much!

I know nothing about plasma concentrations. Could you explain? And in the relationship between the two meds?

Nakamova said:
Lamictal may increase the plasma concentrations of Risperdal

Last edited:
Basically, the Lamictal can make the Risperdal more concentrated and potent than if you were taking the Risperdal all by itself. As you reduce the Lamictal, you reduce the effect on the Risperdal.

my thoughts are with you Laurie - seems solving a problem creates another.
Hope you will be OK.
xxx

Back
Top Bottom