Accommodating Neighbor with Photosensitive epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eli
Sorry your unwell. You of course have done the sensible thing and hung curtains.
I dont think her husband was trying to avoid anything. I think he was being honest.
If I had a child with those problems i most certainly would have double thick curtains not go around abusing people for having quite legal things in their own property.

That is unreasonable.

Anyway, I wont post in here again.

My concerns now are for the 4 year old who was attacked on my property. Her parents said shes had nightmares. Thats not fair either.

Cheers all

Hi CQ
Hey, just a stupid thought i guess- but as you have had the op - do you think maybe not talking about them or even thinking about them might be better for you? They say your thoughts control your system.
Just a thought.
As you know I am certainly no expert .
Hi Mrs Wirth,

Please correct me if I'm wrong but by saying but as you have had the op - do you think maybe not talking about them or even thinking about them might be better for you? are you assuming that if I stop talking about my epilepsy I will never have a seizure again?

I am very open about my epilepsy & I am not going to hide it. I enjoy coming onto this forum (and another epilepsy forum) to talk to people who can relate to epilepsy. Epilepsy is a very unpredictable medical condition as most of us never know when we will have a seizure. So not talking about epilepsy or not thinking about it is not necessarily going to stop me having seizures.
Each day I do go seizure free is great & I feel I am being realistic by saying there may be a chance I will have a seizure again.

I had epilepsy as a baby until I was 3 1/2. I was taken of meds when I was 7 & I had no more seizures until I was 24.
After my seizures returned when I was 24 I started taking different seizures to what I had as a baby & medications didn't control the seizure. We have no idea why I started taking seizures again. I believe none of us know what is going to happen in the future so I rather think that at the moment my seizures are controlled & each day I go without having a seizure is a bonus.

Brain surgery should never be classed as a 'cure for epilepsy' but more as another treatment to help control seizures. When I was about to have my surgery I refused to think the surgery would 'cure my seizures' because if I did do that then something went wrong I'm sure I would've been really p***ed off. Instead I set myself little goals eg - 6 months seizure free, 12 months seizure free etc. Each time I reach one of my goals I set myself a higher goal.
When I reached my goal of being 12 months seizure free I set myself a goal of being 2 years seizure free, I'm 1/2 way to reaching my next goal as I am currently 18 months seizure free.

Last edited:
QC
Well it seems I have said the wrong thing yet again. I wont fib yes i was asking you if you thought - the thought of having a seizure might set it off. You must remember I was just asking - not having a crack.

You appear to have a great outlook on this . If only they knew why you could go so darn long with no trouble - then it came back into your life.

How frustrating !. I suppose there has been a mountain of research into many cases. Do you think this research is being properly funded?

I guess also in my ignorance i did see brain surgery as a cure"""but thats because it was presented that way on a doc on TV.

18 months gone and not one. Thats great!! I hope it continues for the next 18 years and onwards.
Good luck QC

CQ
You appear to have a great outlook on this . If only they knew why you could go so darn long with no trouble - then it came back into your life.
How frustrating !. I suppose there has been a mountain of research into many cases. Do you think this research is being properly funded?
I guess there is only so much research the hospitals can do with the funding they have provided for them.
The hospital where I had my surgery have some of the best epitiologists in Australia & 1 of the best neurosurgeons in Australia. They have a great epilepsy research clinic which I am a part of & I have contributed to some of their research programs. At the moment my Mum & I am part of their research into how patients & their carers cope with life both before surgery & after surgery.

It was a bummer that I started taking seizures again but I have never let my epilepsy get to me & I just see it as a part of my life. I can't complain to much because I am still able to live a reasonably normal life :).

18 months gone and not one. Thats great!! I hope it continues for the next 18 years and onwards.
Good luck CQ
Thanks.
After my seizures returned in 2002 the longest I went without a complex partial seizure was 5 months & an aura was probably 1 month. So after I had my surgery all I really hoped for was that it would help at less reduce the auras & when I reached my 1st goal of being 6 months seizure free I was really happy. Anything after that was a major bonus & still is.

Last edited:
Mrs. Wirth

I am trying to appreciate all sides here and not just get angry. I understand that you are concerned about the bats and lyssavirus, have you concidered a different repellent, maybe an ultra sonic device
I would ask that you take the time to read the forum Riva's Memorial and think what you would feel like if you learned that your neighbor's son had a seizure and never woke up or was caused tramatic brain injury.
I am not trying to berate or abuse you but dealing with Epilepsy is often difficult for the families. The way your neighbor handled the situation was inapropriate, but if as an example, her child had just finished having a seizure, the panic and adrenaline could have over ridden common sense. From her point of view, can you imagine that someone would see their lights as more important than your childs life?
I hope you will take the time to consider what I have to say.

seizingbeauty

Cool Name,

I dont want to be angry either. Look shes a sheep short of a paddock as far as I am concerned. Its all very well to rave about her son but what about the 4 year old she l purposely knocked over with a steel gate - and after entering OUR private back yard. As far as I am concerned shes the problem for all kids.

If you want to lobby for the entire world not to be able to have an 6 volt fairy lights for their children in their private properties go for it.

So far there isn't a council in Australia I am aware of that has bi laws no 6 volt fairy lights.Let all the other kids in Australia go without a fairy house fairy lights or any fun in their own back yard- ALL because she can not be responsibility . There are 5 rooms in her place - 3 are empty and facing the other direction . Think about it.

Bats kids parties Xmass or just because they look lovely people can do what they like in their own homes!

I think the problem is shes not a good mother. She came back again last night and tress passed & switched off the main switch board in our house.

At the time my friend was on her Asama machine. !

Just wondering how much you think i should tolerate.

I note nobody has asked how the other child is- you know the 4 year old this woman knocked down trod over and really hurt.

A little balance pls

Thanks the nick name was given by a friend who understood that humor was important.

I agree that dealing with your neighbor must be frustrating. I am not trying to say that you do not have rights and turning your power off is defininatly unacceptable. i would personally agree with your law enforcment officers and file charges, as it is effecting the welfare of people in your home.
I am only asking that you listen to whats being said here, its not the voltage of the lights but the frequency of the light being emitted that may be causing the seizures. It may not help for her to put curtains if her son is curious and drawn to staring at the "pretty light".
She may not wish to put her son in the other rooms in case he has a seizure in the middle of the night and she can't hear him. It is expecially dangerous for a young child to go into status epileptus, a state of continual seizure activity, and the longer the seizure the more potential damage.
Your neighbor is probably on constant "high alert" making her very stressed. Spending your life wondering when the next one is going to hit, is it going t be "the one" is stressful enough on a personal level. The idea of looking at my daughter and having those same thoughts makes my blood run cold.
This is not a matter of having compasion for the mother but compasion for the child whos body has to go through this.
Again I ask you to please read through this site, ask questions, "see" what each of us has to face and ask yourself what you would want if your places were reversed.
You can send me a private message and I'll share my story with you.
BTW if I sent you my info would you do my chart? :)

Thanks SB

I dont know how to message private. Really not much with links and forum. However if u M me I can reply.

Lets not keep talking about her of you dont mind however. Happy to hear your story .

T/C

seizingbeauty
I think the problem is shes not a good mother. She came back again last night and tress passed & switched off the main switch board in our house.
At the time my friend was on her Asama machine.

So technically you are both now even. Medical harm has been caused to each side of this dispute.

Just wondering how much you think i should tolerate.

Again, I am sure she is asking the same thing. You stated it was 10pm and the child was in his bedroom. She seems to think that whatever was going on at your house was keeping him awake and/or harming him..

I note nobody has asked how the other child is- you know the 4 year old this woman knocked down trod over and really hurt.

You told us the condition of the 4 yr old. (I bolded.)

The one whose 4 year old was knocked to the ground and grazed her knees.

A little balance pls

We only have your version of what she wants but lets assume she wants the lights off or moved. You want her to move her sons room. You say the lights have a purpose. Maybe her son has to be in that room for medical reasons. I know I have that situation in my own home.

You've asked for our input and thoughts. There's been some banter, but I do think we've offered some insight.

Mayhaps she can move her son to the far side of the house, you can move your lights to the other side. I say that mostly with jest as an even compromise. :)

As others have stated you two will have to put emotions and self-righteousness aside and make some compromise. Unless one of you decides to move.

No Dear e dont have to do anything. So far sge has broken the law 3 times

Our fairy lights and not illegal.

Her husband said its no big deal.

I look after my family health- she can do likewise
The woman is a compete fruit cake.

She should have been charged for home invasion. She assaulted a 4 year old child
End of story.

Anyway

I have a big court case coming up in a few days so must get back to work.

Honesty came in here thinking there might be some good advise on how to speak to her about her behavior-- not to be told to change our lives.
Oh and no you cant move 30 to 35 year old trees.

Oh I know- lets chop all the trees down world wide so others cant live normally Sheesh

Wait, wait, wait, I think we are losing site of the real problem here. Bat poop! Its tearing our neighborhoods apart!!

You and your neighbor BOTH should play grownup, have a civilized conversation and reach a compromise. Maybe exercise a little empathy. That or charge her the next time she breaks the law. DONE! Problem Solved.

This is how you move a 30-40 year old tree.
Dutchman_95_Tree_Spade_on_Loader.jpg

And thats my advice as requested.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to sign off and stop thinking about epilepsy or I’ll have a seizure.

Anyway

I have a big court case coming up in a few days so must get back to work.

Honesty came in here thinking there might be some good advise on how to speak to her about her behavior-- not to be told to change our lives.
Oh and no you cant move 30 to 35 year old trees.

Oh I know- lets chop all the trees down world wide so others cant live normally Sheesh

So you're basically saying you came here to have us agree with you, and not to consider a different perspective based on our experiences..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom