after 1.5 years I was confident so I cut in half my evening keppra from 250 to 125.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
And last night I woke up on the floor seizing with my wife trying to get me up on the bed I try but can't prevent my flopping pushing the other way. But then I sleep 5 more hours and I feel great like nothing happened.

Please excuse me. I remember this is parts. I have a baby bruiser on right eye from banging my head on bed frame.

Keppra has a very short half-life compared to other E-meds, so if you miss a dose (or taper abruptly) there's a greater potential for withdrawal effects or seizures. I'm so sorry you had a seizure, I do know how it feels to want to taper, and be confident that you're making the right move. I've done that twice, with no luck.

Next time you're thinking of tapering, ask your neuro about doing an EEG first or after you've decreased your dose by a tiny increment. Depending on what the EEG shows it can give you guidance on whether to continue the taper.

I always talk to my neuro about making changes to my meds. Sometimes he'll agree and decrease the dosage or change the med. If another dr is going to put me on a med I always make sure they know what meds I'm on so they'll know if there could be any problems mixing them together.

Janus

The thought that things might just be going your way for a change, must have felt so good and then that to happen. I am sorry it happened, as you know you have to be careful tapering of any medication, why not get some help next time from your neurologist.

You should never try to change meds w/o your doctor's okay. I've got 3 meds going through my system right now: 400mg/day Topamax, 100mg/day ea. Zonisamide & Vimpat. One of those--Vimpat--my neuro is helping me to slowly stop. Even then, I've been getting breakthrough simple partials!

breakthroughs

Thanks all for great help via responses. I have been keppra free for 8 days. I still ta effectke 750 depakote and lamotrigine 150. I also have 2 blood pressure meds. Metropolol 25, losartan 100. I just hate taking these handfull of mixed meds. I read about the dangers of taking so many at once each day. I have side effects that me. After a while if looks ok. I will try weaning off of depakote. I think that is a big side-effect drug for me. Or is it that lamotrigine? I am also convinced that using medical Mary Jane's. Though eating and vaping I avoid some side effects associated with cumbustion. Avoiding Carbonmonoxide and coughing.

Back
Top Bottom