... after the seizer, voice change

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son is 6 yrs old. Partial seizers trigger looking around, disorientation. The after effect is a change in his voice and behaviour... little boy voice and more timid behaviour used to last 1hr to 2hrs. Now on TopAmax the voice last 5 to 15 minutes, has anyone heard or experienced anything like this?

My daughter has had many changes after her seizures. I found in the beginning that it was very hard to know what to expect. Some of the changes were definitely due to changes in her medicine. Right now we have decided to forgo pharmaceuticals and try a more nutritional approach with supplements that support brain function. Not for everyone, but so far so good.

You just described me after a seizure. I was like that afterwards as a kid & still am like that afterwards as an adult.

Like Robin said it's hard to know what to expect. I've had what felt like large seizures & had very minimal (if any) aftereffects & I've had the opposite where I've been extremely confused (which makes me somewhat insecure) & very tired & moody. Sometimes it lasts a whole day sometimes only 15 minutes. Regardless what you described sounds very normal after a seizure

Hi David's Dad,

What that sounds like to me is the "post-ictal" state after a seizure. I found this info @ http://www.epilepsy.com/101/ep101_symptom . I did a general search and there are many different post ictal symptoms. I couldn't find anything specific to the change in voice.

"The end to a seizure represents a transition from the seizure back to the individual’s normal state. This period is referred to as the “post-ictal period” (an ictus is a seizure) and signifies the recovery period for the brain. It may last from seconds to minutes to hours, depending on several factors including which part(s) of the brain were affected by the seizure and whether the individual was on anti-seizure medication. If a person has a complex partial seizure or a convulsion, their level of awareness gradually improves during the post-ictal period, much like a person waking up from anesthesia after an operation."

RobinN,
Thanks for the encouragement. Hope the nutrutional & Supplements continues to work. I will be looking into the same, once David gets regulated on the TopAmax. This is his 4th Really Good day, Thank God.

Epileric,
Thank you, knowing this seems normal to someone else is a huge relief and encouragement. This is his 4th Really Good day, Thank God.

Hi D D....I find that I can't get my words out correctly straight after a sz, and if I have one during the night, I sound like Barry White when I wake up the next day :rock:

Back
Top Bottom