Ahhhh, whoops.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have let all the repeats on my script run out and I only have one dose of meds. I don't see my Dr for another 2 days and the medical centre I go to charges for scripts without an appointment, where as my dr is free under medicare.
Am I safe to go a day and a half without my meds? I still have my anti-depressants and I have just weaned off my Keppra as of yesterday. Should I bring the Keppra back to get me through without my .... damn it! what's the name of it? ah... lamictal? I still have plenty of Keppra (and tegretol that I went off months ago) and I also have valium for the days I feel like I should go to the hospital.

I don't know what to do. The next 2 days are likely to be busy and stressful which is a big trigger for my psychogenic seizures, but I am still convinced I am having epileptic seizures too, since the simple partials I was having before the myoclonic jerks started have come back a lot and the jerks have decreased significantly ( I have gone form at least 20 a day to a maybe a dozen a week) since discovering I was having non-epileptic seizures. To be honest, I can feel the difference between the 2 types.

My biggest fear is that going off the meds for a couple of days might bring on a TC. I haven't had one since February and I don't want to go there again.

This is doing my head in.

There's no way since you have a dr's appt that they will give you the script without charging you?

How can you tell the diffrence between the two?
I think you'll do fine untill you go see your doctor. Try not to worry about it, we don't what you to have a seizure. I know it harder said then done.

Suddenly stopping AEDs can bring on a TC seizure. It needs to be done gradually.

I usually call my pharmacy and they will give me a couple of days worth of meds until I can get ahold of my dr.

Weaning off of Keppra is a very tricky thing I find. I wouldn't be tempted to go back on it but I don't have any familiarity with Lamictal personally.
Of course you're scared of bringing on a tonic clonic with stress but just because you're stressed doesn't mean it will happen for sure.
What is that phrase..."self fulfilling prophecy". If you think if it will happen it just might. So just think that it won't happen because you know yourself better now!
I tend to lean on my ativan which is a form of valium when I really feel like I'm getting into trouble. It's a temporary fix and more sedating and muscle relaxing than anything else but it all depends how each drug works for you.
2 days must feel like such a long time. It's like waiting for your toast to pop or the tea kettle to boil. But it will come along sooner if you don't worry too much about it.
I sometimes try to take the zen approach and try not to worry about things I can't control but is easier said than done, just like jlogefeil says.

Good to know Cint. I will keep that in mind for myself too.
Argh! Don't listen to me! I should know how dangerous it is to mess with pharmaceuticals. Keep on them if you can of course. The whole psychogenic/epileptic thing is a tricky combo and not to be treated lightly.

Last edited:
Can you call your Drs office and tell them of your situation? I know alot of times they have sample packs on hand. Good luck to you!

When I run out of refills, I'll call my Drs Office directly cause with my previous pharmacy, they'd always screw up & either not fax the doctor or the doctor said he never got anything and he always is on top of my meds but Walmart was always screwing it up so I switched to Walgreens and so far no problems. I still contact the doctor directly so pharmacy can't say they haven't got anything from the doctor

Every pharmacy

that I have ever used has always given me a 2 to 3 day emergency supply while the prescription is being worked out.

Call the pharmacy, and see what they can do. Going off the meds you're supposed to be on is dangerous business, and as Cint said, CAN trigger a t/c. They aren't always pleasant (speaking from experience here)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I did call my pharmacy, and the pharmacist was happy to help. Annoying though that I had to pay full price for a 3rd of my usual amount of tablets. Oh well, I can get through confidently now. I was starting to freak out a bit. I think I am going to discuss leaving my scripts with my pharmacist so I don't have to worry about remembering where my scripts are.

Glad it worked out. As noted above, stopping any of the anti-seizure-meds suddenly puts you at risk for a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom