Alcohol and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

xenome

New
Reaction score
Im a social drinker. I drink with my friends on the weekends. When I asked my neuro if that was ok, she said that it was as long as I didnt drink around the same time that I took my meds (Keppra and Depakote). She said that those drugs and alcohol both depress the nervous system, so taking them both at the same time would be dangerous. My question is this, if alcohol and my meds do the same thing, can I just stop taking my meds and just get drunk everyday to avoid seizures? Btw, my meds dont work. Kinda disappointed in my neuro in that she didnt try more different types of meds before having the VNS implanted into my chest. Though the VNS has helped alot.

I doubt that would be a good idea. Just my non-medical opinion.

So if your meds don't work, why are you taking them?
Why did you allow the VNS to be implanted if you wanted to try more meds?

We all need to take control of our own destiny. However difficult that seems to be at times, we do have choices. Perhaps it was harder 15 yrs ago when access to the internet was not available. Today there is really no reason why we are not more proactive in our own care. Insurance does put up road blocks, but there are ways around that too.

Glad to know that you have been helped by the VNS.

I don't mean to get off topic here but Hawke, if you are not controlled, would you consider your VNS a success?

Success

I am likely to have VNS soon, and if i halve the amount of seizures i have each day,I will class it as a success,success is relative,not everyone expects total control,my nan has been wrestling with medications/diet/supplements etc for 50 years...Still having 8 - 12 seizures a year.(although,for me,I would class that as complete success!)everybody with Epilepsy,surely,as we are all unique,has our own outlook on how many seizures constitutes "control":ponder:

Yes I do consider my VNS as a success. Before I had the VNS put in. I use to eight to ten seizures a day.

I doubt that would be a good idea. Just my non-medical opinion.

So if your meds don't work, why are you taking them?
Why did you allow the VNS to be implanted if you wanted to try more meds?

We all need to take control of our own destiny. However difficult that seems to be at times, we do have choices. Perhaps it was harder 15 yrs ago when access to the internet was not available. Today there is really no reason why we are not more proactive in our own care. Insurance does put up road blocks, but there are ways around that too.

Glad to know that you have been helped by the VNS.

I take them because my neurologist tells me too. I was on depakote and that wasnt working so she added keppra and that didnt work so then she recommended the VNS which has probably reduced the frequency of my seizures by about 50%. Everytime I see her, she just adjusts the settings of the VNS device and then I have to wait a few months to see if there is any improvement. Which there hasnt been. Im worried that I might have more seizures if I stop taking the meds because so far with the VNS, depakote and keppra combined, my seizures have been reduced. Its frustrating because it feels like she isnt helping at all.

I asked my epileptologist how alchohol affected me. But if I do drink. A couple glasses of wine is all I need. And I don't have seizures. And I only drink socially.But I aways take my meds.

Back
Top Bottom