Alcohol and Medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crazy Monkey

Playing With Angels
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have a question, does anyone here drink alcohol whilst on their medication and wonder whether they should be? I am never quite sure, whether it is safe or not, I always get mixed reports from doctors and pharmacists.

I am taking Lamictal and just added in Ethosuximide, I have always drank whilst taking Lamictal and had no adverse side effects but now that I have added in a new medication my situation has changed and I am now wary.

Does anybody here take this mix of medication and consume alcohol safely?

Thanks

Kim

It is not safe to drink alcohol while on medication. It can sometimes increase the side effects. It can also be fatal.

I enjoy an occasional drink or two. My doc doesn't think it's a prob (as long as I don't wash the pills down with a beer)...I haven't noticed any increase in seizure activity.

Alcohol made my seizures worse.

Hey always be very careful with any alcoholic drinks! Because a few years ago after being told I could a have some alcohol drinks it triggered my seizures and unlucky for me it caused more problems than anything. When I was a little kid my dad used to get me to drink liquor and I think that messed me up even more than I already was with an inactivity of right hemisphere of brain so alcohol scares me to death.
David

Last edited:
like most people in their 20's....

I enjoyed a few brews on a night out, but since my epilepsy returned last year and the doctors have started stuffing half the pharmacy down my neck every day ( joke, I take 1200mg/day gabapentin and 50 mg/day topamax) I have stopped drinking almost completely. I would say I have one glass of rose wine a month maybe maximum usually, but i blew that out of the water yesterday at the concert and had 4 ciders.... god I'm paying for it today....worst hangover of my life...had to throw extra vitamin pills down my neck,eat a years supply of bananas,drink about 400 gallons of water, buy a new head beacause mine had split.....put up with extra seizures....i wouldn't recommend doing THAT more than once a year!!:roflmao: IMHO I would advise extreme caution about mixing AED's with alcohol, which isn't easy as i have now spent the best part of my 20's on an almost alcohol free diet!! (diagnosed at 22,now 27),buy yourself more CD's/clothes/concert tickets with the money saved. My concert tickets were bought from my " booze fund" :rock:

Strictly speaking

Alcohol and AEDs do not mix.

You may see jokes and comments in our postings about booze and beer, but the vast majority of us strictly limit our drinking or pay for it later. Each case is different and I do have the ocassional beer or glass of wine, but my neuro says no alcohol. Mixing two depressants is not a good idea.

That may be part of my more recent issues and I have backed off the alcohol lately. :noevil:

One of the tricks I use to help me fit in socially when I feel pressured or want to drink is to drink something different than everyone else. That way I can limit my drinks without being caught up in "rounds of drinks" when in a group.

Best advice is still - NO ALCOHOL.

I haven't had a drink of any kind in about 15 - 20 years. There's enough to deal with when handling the side effects of the meds. It's been my philosophy that why make things worse?

while on topamax I have stayed free of alcohol almost completely (1 drink a month). I am around both every single day of my life because I am 22 years old. I have only had seizures for a year and a half now so this is still a big adjustment. But now I am switching from Topamax (it says no alcohol ever) to Lamictal (which doesnt state much about staying away from alcohol) and with the switch I am hoping I can drink very occasionally anyone have any advice other than just say no... because I have been doing that for just over a year now and Im burnt. Yes its my health, but unless you are around it every day of your life you cannot relate. I am asked at least once a week why Im not drinking, where I either have to explain the health problem or simply walk away. The shit is annoying. For those of you who are 30-40 years old try to think back to when you were 18-24.

I attended an Epilepsy Symposium a few years back. May esteemed doctors were there from several Medical Universities. This was one of the questions asked. Most of these particular doctors were in agreement, an occational drink probably won't do much harm, (and we know a glass of red wine can be benificial) all things in moderation.

From my own experiance, a beer or glass of wine once in a while isn't a problem. I nNever wash down my meds with alcohol, and I wait until it's in my system and not still in my stomach. I avoid hard liquor, it just doesn't mix.

But for the most part, I really don't drink. Just lost the desire to.

Alcohol and AEDs do not mix.

You may see jokes and comments in our postings about booze and beer, but the vast majority of us strictly limit our drinking or pay for it later. Each case is different and I do have the ocassional beer or glass of wine, but my neuro says no alcohol. Mixing two depressants is not a good idea.

What about other drugs besides alcohol? By your neuro's logic stimulants should be ok, right?

What about other drugs besides alcohol? By your neuro's logic stimulants should be ok, right?

:twocents:

My Neuro never talked about stimulants, so I do not have any direct advice on that. I personally do not take any 'illegal' drugs, but would hesitate to use that logic to justify them. The 'trips' I have taken with E are enough for me.

:paperbag:Not trying to sound better than anyone else on this as I have plenty of bad habits and am no saint.:paperbag:

As far as 'legal' stimulants, I am a big time coffee drinker and have found that PERSONALLY, it does help me through days with poor focus and concentration.

Though I sometimes find this beneficial, I think it is the side-effects of my meds that it is helping and it is not doing me any good for my E. Again, just a personal opinion/experience.

Playing the Devil's Advocate here...

I don't drink, I'm allergic to alcohol.

But even as it's been implied whether or not
it's AEDS - but it can be any type
of Prescription medication(s) - you need to
consult with your Doctor in regards to alcohol
consumption. The wisest thing is, avoid it - it's
not a good idea anyway ... look at all those DUI
and DWI crashes out there that's taken lives of
adults and children and babies - and those were
mainly "normal" people. Why do you want to risk
your own life fooling around with alcohol and
drugs (whether legally prescribed or illegal)?
There's been death by people who have mixed
drugs (whether legally prescribed or illegally possessed)
and alcohol. Why take the chance? Why put yourself
at a risk? Sufficient enough that one has to endure
seizures, why push your seizure threshold up and
put yourself in jeopardy?

While true Birdy's post has indicated that Medical Doctors
or rather Medical Science have found benefits in a glass
of wine is actually good for one's health, that is, if the
Doctor okays it or if you're perfectly healthy.

And as Birdy has posted - "All things in moderation" is
also true as well.

But like on another thread "IS IT WORTH THE RISK?" - you
need to ask yourself that question, even if your Doctor
says it is ok, but is it really worth it? Give it a lot of thought,
do some research and study on the effects of alcohol.
Alcohol can be just as addicting as cigarettes / cigars,
illegal drugs (all types), as well as prescription drugs,
and so much more. One can be addicted to such things
without realizing it!

So put it on the scales of balance - Pros and Cons and
weigh it all, and make the judgment yourself, that would
be your wisest move you've ever made and you'll be proud
of yourself!

I drink wine and beer. Not everyone is the same. But If I did not know you I would say, talk to the doc or have you talk to the doc. I did that and I know my body.I know that I have depression to. And that heavy drinking is bad for me.And besides, I have a little boy who is watching me and who loves me.That helps me even eat right.

Just after posting this thread (a few months ago) I spoke to my pharmacist about mixing my new meds with alcohol and what he suggested was introduce alcohol gradually with the 2 meds and get my body used to it, once this happens there should be no interaction. I have never had a problem, so I am hoping that it stays that way

Back
Top Bottom