Alcohol and Tegretol

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AussieAng

New
Reaction score
Hi all .... Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with mixing meds and alcohol .... I'm not a drinker but I'm thinking of having a few for my birthday in a few weeks but I'm concerned about the side effects ... Anyone have any feedback ???

It depends on the individual. Both AEDs and alcohol have sedative effects that are reinforced when you put them together. Some folks feel those effects more (and more quickly) than others. I've never had a problem with having a few glasses of wine, or a few beers, or one or two mixed drinks. For other folks that might put them on the floor. I do try and pace myself, and I drink extra water, since the med I'm on (Lamictal) tends to dehydrate me. If you're not a drinker, you probably should stay on the moderate side of things -- nothing, or maybe half a beer -- until you know how it affects you. Of course, if you know for sure that alcohol is a seizure trigger for you, best to give it a miss altogether.

Hi AA

I've been on Tegretol for a few decades & I've never been a big drinker, probably because of how the Tegretol interacts.

I do feel it hits me a bit harder and the side-effects of the tegretol (like lack of focus, concentration & memory) increase. Of course those are also the effects of alcohol but it definitely hits me harder & faster than anyone else.

I do still drink occasionally but it's just the occasional glass (rarely 2) of wine with dinner or just sipping a measured shot of Grande Marnier in the evening- again only if I'd had a good meal earlier on.

Like Nakamova said, it does effect everyone differently so if you really feel like you want to take a chance I'd suggest doing it on a full stomach & having no more than 1 beer, shot or glass of wine then not having anymore for at least a half hour (preferably longer) after finishing the first.

I'll have a drink or two every so often, I never get drunk though. I've never had any problems. I'll go out to the bars with my friends and when the bar tender sees I'm the only one that's drinking soda I'll get it free because they think I'm the driver.

I did go to a party a few summers ago and was drinking the punch that they had there, some type of fruit juice, in a large orange cooler. Only after about 5 or more glasses did I find out that it was the "adult punch" meaning there was alchol in it. I might not even have drank any of it had I known that. Suppersingly I didn't get drunk or end up with any seizures.

Thanks to you both for your reply....

Nakamova....I'm not sure what are my seizure triggers but I don't think alcohol is...I've only had 2 seizure and even though I had a few drinks about 72 hours before the 1st one I don't think that had anything to do with it and the second one I had a month after the 1st one with no achohol anytime between that....when I say I never drink I mean like maybe once a year if that but it's my bday and we are going camping so I thought maybe a few sips wouldn't hurt but I'm really nervous....thanks for your feedback....

Epileric....Thanks for responding as a fellow Tegretol taker....I don't see many on here so I was hoping someone who takes Tegretol would respond....I'm a Midori girl and to be honest the mixed ones are as much as i can take and they aren't very strong....I think I'll just sip it and see how I go :)

Thanks Valerierdl for your input....I think I'm just nervous b/c I never/rarely drink and it's not worth it to me to have a few drinks if I end up having a seizure but I think like all the side effects on anti seizure meds they make it look worse than it is....I put off taking them for about 3 weeks b/c of the side effects...once I took them they havent been too bad....yeah i know the long term are the worst but the short term havent been too bad...:)

Definitely not planning on getting smashed b/c @ 35 thats just not something I live to do anymore...lol....

I've gotten smashed (lol) lots of times on Lamictal and haven't had any problems. I take that back- the occassional hangovers really suck. :p self inflicted so no one feels sorry for me, haha.

Im on Tegratol and Epilim and as Cathyann31 says have had a a good few sessions and been all right,but on the other hand,ive had seizures after drinking but that was serious,wed,thu.fri,sat,sun,drinking,so as above self inflicted.
But i cant on a personal note having a few see it do you any harm.good luck

Back
Top Bottom