All plugged in for a home sleep study thing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
My neurologist referred me to have a sleep study done overnight, but i thought it would take forevvvver to get an appointment.

But they called me up yesterday had a cancellation and so i went today. Luckily i don't have to stay in over night to do a polysomnogram (phew) but i've got one of those moniters on that moniter air flow, heart rate, movement, oxygen.

The technician told me that they're mainly checking for sleep apnea, but when he did the questionnaire he said that's pretty unlikely but it would be good to rule it out.

Apparently it should also indicate if i have a seizure. I asked him how would they know if it was sleep apnea or a seizure if i breathe erratically/stop for a short time but they work it out from the heart beat, air flow and motion sensor. Kind of neat! And at least i get to sleep in my own bed lol.

Anyone else had one of these tests done?

Also - so glad i wore my long coat to the hospital today, i nearly left it behind! Sitting on the bus on the way back from the hospital with a box strapped to my chest and wires coming out wouldn't have been a good thing >.<

LOL. I bet if someone saw it they would have thought it was a bomb! especially around the time of the olympics!

I had an urgent one about 2 months ago. For some reason the neurologist wanted it asap after my seizure. I haven't gotten the results after a series of events. Should get them Monday. I understand that it is helpful in diagnosis somehow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Definitely! Also, my nephew Owen found it extremely interesting, he was proper staring at it and poking it like "what's that on Aunty Lou-Lou?"

Got a problem now though, i'm supposed to tape the wire for the oximeter to my hand and there's a nose tube thing that i'm supposed to put a bit of tape on to secure them and make sure they don't move.

But i have a serious fear of things sticking to me, eeeeeekkkkkk! I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and do it i think lol.

I had an urgent one about 2 months ago. For some reason the neurologist wanted it asap after my seizure. I haven't gotten the results after a series of events. Should get them Monday. I understand that it is helpful in diagnosis somehow.

Yeah my neuro said he wanted me to have it done quickly, but then then the hospital in my town (My neuro is in another town) said they had no appointments for months. I must have been pretty high up on the list for cancellations :ponder:

They said i should get the results in 2-3 weeks.

Thats great! i drove 3+ hrs to my neuros town because our local hospital freaked out when they heard me say seizure. All the sudden the no longer could do it at all. That same day we made a hasty trip.

Well that's me all sticky taped up *cringes* Nose tube is tickling too, but i'm off to bed now, hopefully i'll get used to it haha.

Nighty night!

Hope it gives you interesting dreams. Sleep well!

So weird. I told my neuro I don't sleep well. I think I have episodes as I drift off to sleep and asked specifically if there is a test or sleep study I should do. Her answer " there's no test"!

Grrr my doctor. :(

I hope you did okay sleeping with all that big bad tape on you... lol. What's funny is you have all those wires and tubes and a box.... but you're scardy of a little tape. He he. My son is the same way. He absolutely has a phobia against anything sticking on him. :) Keep this post going with you're results if you don't mind. I'd be interested to hear about it.

Julie - omg thats the first time ever i've heard of someone having the same phobia as me! I've looked it up too, there's no name for it. At least i'm not alone lol. I'd rather bleed to death than have a plaster (band aid?) on haha.

I ended up ripping the tape off cos it was freaking me out. Got a terrible nights sleep too, i remember waking up about 4-5 times whereas normally i would sleep like the dead. I filled that in in the form they gave me though.

Well i went and handed the stuff back in to the hospital earlier, will let you know when i get the results!

Well after a month and a half i finally got the results and it says i don't have sleep apnea but i do have excessive sleepiness.

Well thats kind of what i told them the first time i went to see them! Yeek i hope i don't have to do another one of these =/

In the letter it says there's nothing on my test to indicate i have sleep apnoea but they've made an appointment with the chest clinic to "RULE OUT SLEEP APNOEA". Gah.

They made me an appointment for january.

I wonder who wrote this letter, it wouldn't be the first time they've made a mistake.

So now they're concentrating on something i don't have and not looking for why i am actually sleeping all the time. The original idea was to rule out the most obvious to make sure and then to look for the actual problem.

Pah. I'll give you the answer when i get it in a couple years time.

:horse:

Aaaaaarrgh! You're caught in the square wheels of bureaucracy again.

Well I'm glad you don't have apnoea at least.

Back
Top Bottom