allergic reaction to lamictal , ugggghhh!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

stormydys

New
Reaction score
I have been posting lately about going off of dilantin and on to lamictal xr , slowly ramping dosage because of the dreaded rash . I never made it to 100mg lamictal xr before my tongue was swollen blistered and the back of my throat was inflamed. No more Lamictal, I can scratch that off my list of AED's. Anyone else have this problem? wonder what would sooth my throat.

When I tried Lamictal, I was on it for two weeks, before my Primary care dr confirmed I was having an allergic reaction to it. I first noticed these sore like areas around my chin and mouth area. I thought it was acne. So I continued to treat it like it was acne. But then as the days went by, they started to get scabs on them and crack open and bleed. Very painful. Then I noticed when I went up in the dosage, my glands in my neck were starting to swell. My neurologist said I had a sinus infection, and to go to my primary care dr. But turned out after doing some blood work and tests, I had no infection and once she heard I was on Lamictal, she said I was having an allergic reaction to it. I told my neurologist, and of course he doubt'ed it. But took me off. days later I was back to my normal self again. I wouldnt go back on that drug if someone paid me a million bucks!

Wish I could help! My son (4yr old) got the rash on Lamotrigine as well. He now might be showing rash signs to Keppra! Ugh! Anyways, I gave my son Benadryl - the rash started to clear quickly...Took about 4 days to be totally gone.

My Neurologist put me on Lamictin for a short period due to the uncontrolable sezuires to be honest the side affects of those dredful meds were a nightmare. I'm now taking Tegritol CR 400mg twice a day and these meds work wonders. No severe side affects.

Back
Top Bottom