Amino Acids

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I have a question about Amino Acids. I was reading this: http://www.bottlebrushpress.com/aminoacids.html

and I understand there are AA that are essential and those that are not. Some are produced by the body and some are not and must be extracted from food.
I was trying to understand how some of these AA can affect the nervous system, and neurotransmitters.
Doctor John has helped me to understand Glutamic Acid / Glutamate.
Then I was reading about other AA that must be extracted from the food, and I got to wondering if we are truly eliminating those particular foods then perhaps these essential AA's are not being provided to the body therefor setting us up for disaster.

Here is one example:
arginine (L-arginine) - this amino acid is considered as essential for adults suffering from liver disease. It has the formula C6H14N4O2. It is not produced by the body of adults suffering from liver disease and must be extracted from food. It is found naturally in fish, meat, nuts and poultry.
One of our members came to mind, so I went on a search of this AA.

L-arginine is an amino acid that has numerous functions in the body. It helps the body get rid of ammonia (a waste product), is used to make compounds in the body such creatine, L-glutamate, and L-proline, and can be converted to glucose and glycogen if needed.

L-arginine is used to make the nitric oxide, a compound in the body that relaxes blood vessels. Preliminary studies have found that L-arginine may help with conditions that improve when blood vessels are relaxed (called vasodilation), such as atherosclerosis, erectile dysfunction, and intermittent claudication.

L-arginine is also involved in protein formation. In larger amounts, L-arginine stimulates the release of hormones growth hormone and prolactin.
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsad/a/Arginine.htm

Histamine is well known for its role in stimulating the inflammatory response of skin and mucous membranes such as those found in the nose - this action is essential in the protection of these barriers during infection.

Histamine also stimulates the secretion of the digestive enzyme gastrin. Without adequate histamine production healthy digestion can become impaired. Without adequate L-histidine stores, the body cannot maintain adequate histamine levels.
http://www.cfsn.com/histidine.html
(sorry that link had an ad, but I found the explanation the best of what I have read so far.

Of the above is this why we have a rise in allergies?
Could it also be why our bodies are not producing enzymes? That is if we are not eating these foods?
It says it is essential for children.

valine (L-valine) - one of the essential amino acids. This is a crystalline compound with the formula C5H11NO2. It is not produced by the body and must be extracted from food. It is found naturally in dairy products, grains, meat, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, soybeans, spirulina and torula yeast.
Valine is found in abundant quantities in most food. Valine has a stimulant effect. Healthy growth depends on it. A deficiency results in a negative hydrogen balance in the body. Valine is used by bodybuilders, in conjunction with leucine and isoleucine, for muscle growth, tissue repair and as an energizer. There is little scientific evidence to support these claims, though studies have shown that these three substances might be able to help restore muscle mass in people with liver disease, injuries or who have undergone surgery, but no studies have shown them to be effective for healthy people. Because valine cannot be produced by the body, healthy people should ensure that they are obtaining at least the recommended amount in their diet. Valine can be metabolised to produce energy, which spares glucose. A deficiency may affect the myelin covering of the nerves. Recent studies indicate that valine, as well as leucine and isoleucine, may be effective in treating or reversing hepatic encephalopathy or alcohol related brain damage. It may also be useful in degenerative neurological conditions. Main food sources of valine are soy flour, raw brown rice, cottage cheese, fish, beef, lamb, chicken, almonds, brazil nuts cashews, peanuts, sesame seed, lentils, chickpeas and mushrooms.

Just wondering out loud if someone wants to jump in here and help me to understand this.

A deficiency may affect the myelin covering of the nerves. Recent studies indicate that valine, as well as leucine and isoleucine, may be effective in treating or reversing hepatic encephalopathy or alcohol related brain damage. It may also be useful in degenerative neurological conditions.

Myelin

Demyelination is the act of demyelinating, or the loss of the myelin sheath insulating the nerves, and is the hallmark of some neurodegenerative autoimmune diseases, including multiple sclerosis, transverse myelitis, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy, Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Sufferers of Pernicious Anaemia can also suffer nerve damage if the condition is not diagnosed quickly. Sub-Acute Combined Degeneration of the Cord Secondary to Pernicious Anaemia can lead to anything from slight peripheral nerve damage to severe damage to the central nervous system affecting speech, balance and cognitive awareness. When myelin degrades, conduction of signals along the nerve can be impaired or lost, and the nerve eventually withers.

Just wondering out loud if someone wants to jump in here and help me to understand this.

Hi Robin,
Check out this book on amino acids. I found a lot of information on taurine and other aminos that can influence seizures in it.

The Healing Nutrients Within - A Must Have Book | Mark Schauss ...The Healing Nutrients Within: Facts, Findings, and New Research on Amino Acids ... The book The Healing Nutrients Within recalls many stories of patients ...
www.markschauss.com/?p=153

Yes Zoe - Rebecca takes taurine, I understand it is benificial, and yet it is a non essential AA. I am wondering about those that are essential and what if we are eliminating so many foods from our diet, it being a modern convenience diet or one due to allergies etc. Then it seems that we are not able to receive the proper AA's and it could make even a bigger mess. Proteins are very important and complex proteins even more so.

I wish this all came with a rule book.
Going to check your book suggestion out right now.

Yes Zoe - Rebecca takes taurine, I understand it is benificial, and yet it is a non essential AA. I am wondering about those that are essential and what if we are eliminating so many foods from our diet, it being a modern convenience diet or one due to allergies etc. Then it seems that we are not able to receive the proper AA's and it could make even a bigger mess. Proteins are very important and complex proteins even more so.

I wish this all came with a rule book.
Going to check your book suggestion out right now.

Don't forget that there are also two 'forms' of Amino Acids too : Peptide Bonded, and Branched-Chain. They say that BCAA's are not as good as PBAA's as they are missing the list of Amino Acids which are required to work together as a 'chain' so to speak.

Taurine is usually found in energy drinks, such as Red Bull, so I'm not sure on the effect it has, but would think about looking into this a bit further if I were you just incase it's an energy inducing AA which may stimulate sz's.

Oh, and just for the record - the darker the meat, the more Amino Acid's it'll contain in the protein.

I have done a tremendous amount of research on this subject. Every time I do a search on taurine seizures, I find a lot of information. The fact that it is put into energy drinks has no relationship to providing energy. I have read where it helps with muscle fatigue.
Here are a few examples of what I have found quickly today:

One of the compounds that so many doctors have reported success with in reducing or eliminating sezuire activity is the amino acid Taurine. Taurine is different than other amino acids as it not part of the building blocks of protein. It functions by maintaining Potassium and Magnesium in the cells and eliminating excess sodium. (Complementary doctors use Taurine often to help control high blood pressure.) Taurine is found in large amounts in the human brain. Though it is classified as "essential" it is not easily synthesized in the body.
http://www.kurtgreenberg.com/Secure/Content/cb.asp?cbid=11

Therefore, taurine is potentially capable of treating seizure-associated brain damage.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=12908638

In persons with epilepsy, taurine, an inhibitory neurotransmitter, is found to be low after a seizure. Taurine deficiency can be induced by MSG ingestion.

It is unfortunate that most food scientists do not learn about taurine, since it is usually assumed the human body can make it. Most lists of amino acids do not even include taurine although it is one of the most prevalent amino acids in the human body. It was not until 1986 that formula manufacturers added taurine to baby formula, when it was discovered that human babies need to eat this particular amino acid because they cannot make it.

One of the contributors to this website, a former food scientist, states that most college food science programs rarely discuss taurine. In fact, when this scientist attempted to discuss taurine with other food scientists, she often met with indignance and denial that taurine even exists because they had never heard of it.

It is therefore unfortunate, but not surprising that many food scientists do not even consider that interfering with an amino acid they have never heard of could be a consequence of MSG ingestion - and possibly lead to an epileptic seizure.
http://www.msgtruth.org/epilepsy.htm

Last edited:
My two cents...

I've been taking a taurine supplement now (on the advice of my nutritionist) for about two years and it seems to have helped me out somewhat.

Until just recently, I had settled down to only a couple of bouts a year with no weird auras or sensations at all...it's been GREAT.

I'm pretty sure the taurine is partly responsible. I take TWO-500mg capsules/day.

:twocents:

I just checked and Rebecca's is 1000mg cap which she gets in the morning.
I think her recent mood was improved was adding the 5-HTP. I have also seen good results from DMG which is also known to increase oxygen in the tissues (she's an athlete), enhances the immune system and speech while decreasing seizure activity.

http://www.autismwebsite.com/ARI/newsletter/dmg1.htm
(Rebecca is not autistic, however they are on the cutting edge of certain alternative approaches to neurological health IMO)

I think her recent mood was improved was adding the 5-HTP. I have also seen good results from DMG which is also known to increase oxygen in the tissues (she's an athlete), enhances the immune system and speech while decreasing seizure activity.

Hey Robin. I've just started taking 5-HTP (since Sunday), as I'm having those sleep problems I've been talking about. My current dosage is 100mg, as I thought I'd start at the bottom, but it does say about giving it a try for 3 days and if you don't see any improvement to increase it to 200mg before bed.

What dosage is Rebecca on, just to be nosey ?

I have been giving her just one pill a day, 50mg, but she doesn't have any problems sleeping. I started giving it to her because of ....sadness, I guess you would call it.
Her spirit has been stomped on. I might raise it by 50 and see if I get even more positive results. We tend to have a routine with morning vitamins but the night time routine is sketchy.

Oh please...ask away.... we all have not problem with giving out the information on our pharmaceuticals but for some reason the vitamins have to be hush hush... what is that all about?

I have been giving her just one pill a day, 50mg, but she doesn't have any problems sleeping. I started giving it to her because of ....sadness, I guess you would call it.
Her spirit has been stomped on. I might raise it by 50 and see if I get even more positive results. We tend to have a routine with morning vitamins but the night time routine is sketchy.

Oh please...ask away.... we all have not problem with giving out the information on our pharmaceuticals but for some reason the vitamins have to be hush hush... what is that all about?

Cool..thanks for that. I'm still having the odd 'waking up every other hour' kinda sleep at the moment, so I might increase the dosage tonight and see what happens.

When Stacy was taking 5-HTP, she took 50mg just before going to bed. It had a pretty strong effect on her. YMMV.

When do you have your last meal TT?

Last main meal is at 5:15pm, and then I usually finish off with a protein shake at about 7:00pm, which is a whey protein so it's quickly digested. I then pop off to bed at around 10-10:30, so it gives me the 2 hour digestive period before sleeps. I also have my last surge of caffeine at about 2ish on the afternoon, so I can't blame that either.

whey protein often contains MSG or creates free glutamic acid (MSG) during processing

Yeah, it's just kinda 'what else do I have' ?....I'm into bodybuilding, so protein is an important card in the game, and whey protein shakes are a convenient method for protein intake.

I kinda know what you're gonna say - 'well isn't ridding myself of E an important thing too'. The answer is obviously yes, but I want my cake and to eat it too.....I'm greedy like that

Is the convenience really convenient? What you are saving by using it, you have to deal with the concequences later. I think you could say that with almost any trigger. Sugar, caffeine, alcohol...

Plus, a seizure is just like a warning light that something is wrong. It is bound to hit you another way if you don't deal with what you can. Kind of like someone with heart disease wanting those fries because they are easy and round out the meal.

I know you are attempting to be healty with the protein shake, but why not give it a good three to six month challenge to see if you see any benefits from not using it.
That is all an elimination diet is. Working through the offending foods and products to see if you feel better.

I've been looking around online and am a little confused. It seems I've read that L-Arginine both has anticonvulsant properties and proconvulsant properties??? I'm sure I must have that wrong, but that what it seemed like.

Would adding L-Arginine supplement be a positive? I like the idea that it could help immune function and libido issues that AEDs can leave one with, and I plan on asking the Doc about this supplement, but I wanted to hear what this site had to say on the subject...

Thanks.:rock:

Back
Top Bottom