Anti-convulsants, epilepsy and dental issues

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was skateboarding the other day, face planted a pole and I chipped out one of my side teeth and scraped off the enamel on my front teeth. So when I went to the dentist to get an estimate and see what was going on I got some bad news. It turns out that some of my back teeth are going bad and the enamel is wearing off on some of my teeth. I have always brushed my teeth everyday, 2-3 times a day and made sure I kept good on my dental hygiene. He said that seizure medications sometimes can cause tooth decay and thin the enamel on your teeth. I was wondering if this was true. It is kind of depressing becauyse dentists are a ripoff and I hate to have to put more money into them than what I have to

I know some anti-seizure medications, particularly Dilantin and Tegretol, cause gum overgrowth/swelling and bleeding. I haven't heard about them affecting tooth enamel, but given that some of them interfere with calcium absorption, I could see how that might have an effect, especially on young kids whose teeth are still growing.

Also, a lot of AEDs have dry mouth as a side effect, which in turn can cause gum issues and tooth decay.

I went to the dentist a few weeks ago to get two filling done on my right side. They know Ive been on seizure medications all my life, and when she did her check up, she said I had alot of bleeding between my teeth, but said it could easily be due to the medications. I brush my teeth twice a day, and also floss. I go back today because I have one more filling on my left side I have to get done. But Ive heard about some seizure medications causing problems with dental issues. I was on Carbatrol ER for over 11 years. She said it could explain the bleeding I was having. I was taken off of it in March, but she said after a good cleaning, it could improve things.

The enamal is coming off my teeth. My smooth, beautiful teeth now feel rough and things stick to them. My dentist gave me a prescription-strength fluoride toothpaste to help stop the enamel loss. I don't know hwo much it helps, but I use it. I also take gel kam in a tooth tray while I watch TV. Ask your pharmacist for the Gel Kam. It's over the counter but usually they keep it behind the counter, or they have to order it.

I'm on Lamictal, Diamox, and gabapentin, but in the past have been on Trileptal, Topamax, and Keppra.

It is fluoride, to help strenthen enamel. Same with the prescription toothpaste.

Im glad i found this thread,im suffering from the same problems tooth wise,i picked a tooth last night and it just crumbled away,i also have a top tooth in exactly the same condition,im in bloody agony!!! I cant get an emergency appointment untill friday so i suppose ill have to suck it up.

I like the posts above always brush my teeth,so when he nips my head on friday about the state of my teeth,like he always does im gonna have an answer for him,forewarned is forearmed.I suppose this is just another one of the down sides of the medication,it must be about 18 years now,Epanutin,Tegratol and Epilim.

Thank you very much CWE,i would never of known this without you,cheers.

I have a different way to look at this...
Perhaps it isn't the medication... perhaps it is the acidic state your body is in due to the contemporary diet we tend to consume (I usually say the Standard American Diet SAD, but I see we have some out of towners :eek:]

The acidity can ruin your teeth.
My daughter has had quite a lot of dental issues, and she was not on anti-seizure meds for very long.

It is best to strive for a more alkaline balance. Do a search if you don't believe.

Could it be possible that a more acid system is more prone to neuro issues... I don't know, but it would be so simple to find out.

Another cause of enamel loss, according to my hygienist, is teeth clenching or grinding. And it's not just biting surfaces. The pressure that your jaws can exert causes the teeth to buckle slightly causing microscopic amounts of enamel to flake off. Many people clench or grind without really realizing, especially as many do it while sleeping. If you find yourself clenching or grinding, you can be fitted with a mouth guard to wear while sleeping.

Perhaps that is why that "diet" didn't resonate with me. There are dangers to it, far beyond my control. This is why it needs to be monitored carefully. Also for whatever reason, they rarely recommend it for adults.

What I speak of is making sure the blood pH is within a balanced range. Due to our dietary choices, and high sugar intake, we tend to run very acidic. Which is harmful to the teeth. It can take weeks to return the body to balance.

RobiN i now suscribe to theory after seen my doctor and dentist,whom both say that the only way your teeth might be affected due to medication is if you have been on medication from a young age whilst teeth are developing.I was seventeen when diagnosed,so i dont qualify there.

There are a couple of reasons why my teeth are bad but im not going to go into them here,but it seem diet is the main culprit,now looking back i was a bit of a suguar fiend,although i have now made an effort to try and cut it out.

Oh i forgot,one tooth out and another filled on wedensday,thank you all for your replys and advice.I shall be certainly taking on board all you have said,thanks again.

Neil.

Remember all the foods that are converted to sugar in the body
bread
potato
fruits
alcohol

RobiN i now suscribe to theory after seen my doctor and dentist,whom both say that the only way your teeth might be affected due to medication is if you have been on medication from a young age whilst teeth are developing.I was seventeen when diagnosed,so i dont qualify there.

There are a couple of reasons why my teeth are bad but im not going to go into them here,but it seem diet is the main culprit,now looking back i was a bit of a suguar fiend,although i have now made an effort to try and cut it out.

Oh i forgot,one tooth out and another filled on wedensday,thank you all for your replys and advice.I shall be certainly taking on board all you have said,thanks again.

Neil.

I love it. Wouldn't it be great if all our caregivers agreed? It would make things so simple.

Hmmmm... my dentist says he gets a lot of people with dental damage due to anti-seizure meds, and it's somewhat like the bone problems people on AEDs sometimes get. It's due to the vit D, magnesium, and calcium that is sometimes low in people on AEDs.

He knows I've only been on AEDs a couple of years, yet he really wants to watch things. He makes sure that I have x-rays at least once a year to see if my teeth are less dense or have changed in size. Also that I'm working with my PCP to get on the right level of supplements.

He says problems with swollen or gum overgrowth are more common than teeth deteriorating, but teeth are still a problem.

So far my teeth, gums, and bones are fine.

Last edited:
I've had many teeth problems but didn't go on medication til I was 43. mine are from the grinding. My husband works with a young man who has just had all his teeth redone who was on medication since childhood. his dentist did say it is a common problem with some seizure meds.

I fell one time and face planted- I broke 8 of my teeth(they shattered, literally) and lost 1 completely.
My teeth are very very brittle now. I have had some in the back just break off. This is a side effect from tegretol and dilantin. I was on tegretol a totaly of 8-10 years of my life. My dentist says its the meds and my doctor says it meds. The meds evidentally break down the calcium in your teeth and they cause your gums to swell. not 100% sure on the actualy medical terminology.

Interesting. My daughter was diagnosed with enamel hypoplasia (thin enamel, basically) and hypodontia (missing adult teeth) in childhood. She didn't have her first seizure till she was 11 and started an AED at 16.

Our own dentist diagnosed the hypolasia but didn't bother to mention it, just let us think it was our fault she was having fillings at a ridiculously young age. Luckily, my brother-in-law is a dental consultant. He explained the condition and made sure we saw an orthodontist.

Back
Top Bottom