antibiotics trigger seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with antibiotics? Over the years I've tried about every antibiotic trying to find one I can tolerate but they have all caused seizures. Is there one antibiotic less likely to trigger seizure? thanks.

Have taken penicillin many times without an issue but was prescribed sulfa drug for a recurring ear infection and had a seizure. I haven't touched a sulfa drug again.

amoxicillian is the only only i can tolerate every other one made me sicker longer which brought on more seizures im allergic to anything with sulfa in it my epilepsy or meds i take dont like meds that go to my immune system i guess. good luck! i try my hardest to not get sick

I took steroids (I don't know if you consider them antibotics not) for a week for back pain. It was a package that held a weeks worth of pills. On the second day of taking them I started having seizures. At least one a day, sometimes more, for the week of the package.

I really didn't put two and two together until the last day of pills. I looked at the things the medicine could cause while taking the steroids and one of them was seizures. I should have looked at this from the very begining but I figured since my dr knew I had epilepsy then they were alright for me. I always make sure I do this now, or ask the dr if it could happen.

See if there is one that your neurologist can suggest for you. And make sure you check the side effects, don't be stupid like me.

I can only tolerate Azithromycin 250mg.

This might not be the one for you, we all react diff. to dff. meds.

Hope you find what your body is needing.

Back
Top Bottom