Coping With Epilepsy Brian Othmer Foundation
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I will definetly have to do some reading up on this, Jeez, my reg doc has me on Ibuprofen 800mg three times a day for my arthritis, and Zyrtec for my allergies and this is the time of year that I take them more often and I here in the last 3 weeks have been having alot of partial seizures.
Jeez, and I have never been told by my neurologist or reg doc, of any certain over the counter drugs that I should not take because of other meds I am on for my E or other health problems.
No Surprise!!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

LightningBolt antihistamines

IF I take an antihistamine.......ten minutes later, I'm down for the count, no matter where I am, no matter what I'm doing....and then when I DO wake up TEN to TWELVE hours later, I have a MAJOR nosebleed....... thanks, but no thanks. I'll sneeze!

Last edited by Meetz1064; 01-01-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM

I know I can't handle prescribed antihistamines or over the counter cold medicines at all! They haven't precipitated seizures, but they make me feel VERY strange (i.e., on the border)! When I have a cold, I just take a lot of Vitamin C.

Incidentally, for any mental patients out there, phenothiazines (thorazine, stelazine, and the such) are antihistamines. (I have speculated they may had been a cause of my condition which I didn't start having until I was 30-ish) I used to have those prescribed to me in handfulls a few decades ago and they made me feel a lot like being on cold pills -awful! I won't go there again!

Last edited by John-Forrest; 01-01-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Joined the Party

I had no problems with Zyrtec and loratadine.
But once I had with clorfenamine, in cold meds.
Or perhaps it was a coincidence becuase my fever was high.Anyway I have dust allergie, and sometimes I take loratadine, a pill per day, it is when I am "cleaning deep" the home, if not the following day I am like a fountain of mucosity and my eyes red.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Too Much Experience with Epilepsy

OCDs

Originally Posted by RanMan View Post:
Forward2007,

I just had to add my piece, it's from an earlier post:

check with your pharmasist or Dr. but if you are on ANY anti-epileptic drugs, definately don't take any over the counter cold or flu meds (anything containing antihystimine and/or decongestant as the chemical reaction CAN be fatal.)

I speak from 28 years experience of being on anti-epileptic drugs.
I was told (and experienced myself) internal bleeding or nose bleeds from most headache meds exept Tylonol. That's the only one that I can take that doesn't react to my seizure meds.

I can't take aspirin, IB Profen, Advil, Exederin or Motrin, just Tylonol.

I took 2 Advil once by mistake and had massive nose bleeds that wouldn't stop. At the time I didn't think it had anything to do with the meds then it happened again just a couple of days before I had to see my neurologist. I happened to mention this to him and he was very concerned and said that I was lucky that I didn't bleed out through my stomach.

This is more of a problem in my case because I also take meds for my ulcerative colitis.

This warning is not documented on any OTC cold/flu meds literature.
I don't know why the FDA doesn't make this info manditory.

Regards

Randy

Re: OTDs, I was really surprised to see on the local news today that the FDA is finally making it PUBLIC about the dangers of mixing over the counter drugs with other OTDs as well as with perscription drugs.
Finally it's being looked at more in depth as a result of the death of Heath Fletcher.
This is what I've been saying all along ~ antihistimines can be fatal if mixed with perscription drugs to cure things like the common cold.
Most ppl know this but IMO, it should be law to have this information noted on the packaging.
It's like everything else, someone has to die first.

Randy

275mg-dilantin/day
120mg-pheonobarb/day
3,000mg-Mesasol/day
The Following User Says Thank You to RanMan For This Useful Post:
Endless (03-27-2010)
Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Joined the Party

I've never had any troubles after taking antihystamines ...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:16 PM

Last year I had about four seizures in my sleep where I would find myself on the floor or on the couch. Since 10-16-07, I stopped taking benadryl before going to bed and haven't had any night time seizures since then. I can't believe the benadryl and night time seizures were not related.
The Following User Says Thank You to forward2007 For This Useful Post:
WeezyHJ (03-27-2010)
Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator / Super Mom

Send a message via Yahoo to RobinN
I have learned that anything is possible.
How exciting that you have connected the dots on this one.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:24 PM

How many people on this forum have tried Zyrtec now that it is OTC?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Actually, I only get about 2 colds a year. Guess I was blessed by my mom with a strong immune system. However, when my nose gets stuffy during a cold, I use a nasal spray like Afrin. I have a tendency to snore, and plugged sinuses only makes it worse. I don't like taking pills like sudafed because they make me feel jittery. That, and I figure Afrin can only be used for 3 days. After that, it can make the congestion worse. So, knowing that makes me just tough it out with saline nasal spray as much as possible. My kids tend to go to sleep after using their allergy meds. And hubby is ADHD...so benadryl just makes him hyper.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Here's more info on Benadryl and seizures

A few medicines that you pick up off the shelf at the drug store can potentially increase the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy, or even cause first-time seizures. The most common one of this kind is probably diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in medications like Benadryl, which is used for colds, allergies, and to promote sleep. If you have epilepsy, you should talk to your doctor before you use it.

http://organizedwisdom.com/helpbar/i...sy/provoke_otc

Last edited by forward2007; 06-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to forward2007 For This Useful Post:
WeezyHJ (03-27-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 PM
New Here

6-year-old daughter had first set of seizures--Benadryl?

Originally Posted by forward2007 View Post:
Last year I had about four seizures in my sleep where I would find myself on the floor or on the couch. Since 10-16-07, I stopped taking benadryl before going to bed and haven't had any night time seizures since then. I can't believe the benadryl and night time seizures were not related.

I'm brand new to this forum, and I have to say that my heart is still racing as I recall the drama of this past week. My heart truly goes out to individuals and families who live with epilepsy and other seizure disorders. It's a new world to us and I know very little at this point, except it seems very possible that my 6-year-old daughter's series of petit mal and grand mal seizures earlier this week were due to use of Benadryl. She had either one extended grand mal seizure, interrupted by smaller ones . . . or it was actually two grand mal seizures, beginning in her sleep. After a frantic 911 call and 3 days in the hospital her EEG looked normal, CT scan showed no signs of anything, yet she clearly had some major seizures.

I have to ask if they were related to the Benadryl which I had given her the night before. When she was in what I would call the petit mal seizure state (please excuse my lack of terminology---it's all so new for us!) her "zoned out, looking-right-through me" gaze and behavior was so much like what I've seen when she has had Benadryl in the past. But, having been assured by her doctors that it was perfectly safe and some kids look a bit "spacy", I thought it was safe to give for a stuffy nose. The "seizure face" was identical to what I have seen when she has had Benadryl, and this time it seems that she may have reached the tipping point.

I'm horrified that I didn't know of the risks of Benadryl . . . I'm informed, aware, and thought that I have appropriately questioned anything that I have given my children---either OTC medications or prescription meds. I can tell you that we have thrown out any Benadryl in the house, and now I am left with a sick feeling that I have to watch her every second, round the clock to recognize any future seizures. The neurologist said that she has a 75% chance of having another one and that there is greater likelihood here in these first few weeks. If we make it to 6 months without a seizure we can be reasonably sure that this was a one-time deal. My daughter is very small for her age (39 pounds, 39 inches---at age 6) and has PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum as well as very mild complex partial. Since the seizures we have noticed a regression back to some earlier behaviors and physical conditions . . . more hand-flexing and difficult in stringing words into meaningful syntax. I don't know if this is just post-seizure behavior that will eventually disappear or if this is something that might linger. If anybody has any comments, please feel free to chime in. I have found some of our best health resources to be forums with people who have had similar experiences, and I'm hoping that our experience may be helpful to other families and that we might perhaps find some answers ourselves. Thanks for letting me join in here.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 PM
New Here

clarification on my post

Originally Posted by WeezyHJ View Post:
I'm brand new to this forum, and I have to say that my heart is still racing as I recall the drama of this past week. My heart truly goes out to individuals and families who live with epilepsy and other seizure disorders. It's a new world to us and I know very little at this point, except it seems very possible that my 6-year-old daughter's series of petit mal and grand mal seizures earlier this week were due to use of Benadryl. She had either one extended grand mal seizure, interrupted by smaller ones . . . or it was actually two grand mal seizures, beginning in her sleep. After a frantic 911 call and 3 days in the hospital her EEG looked normal, CT scan showed no signs of anything, yet she clearly had some major seizures.

I have to ask if they were related to the Benadryl which I had given her the night before. When she was in what I would call the petit mal seizure state (please excuse my lack of terminology---it's all so new for us!) her "zoned out, looking-right-through me" gaze and behavior was so much like what I've seen when she has had Benadryl in the past. But, having been assured by her doctors that it was perfectly safe and some kids look a bit "spacy", I thought it was safe to give for a stuffy nose. The "seizure face" was identical to what I have seen when she has had Benadryl, and this time it seems that she may have reached the tipping point.

I'm horrified that I didn't know of the risks of Benadryl . . . I'm informed, aware, and thought that I have appropriately questioned anything that I have given my children---either OTC medications or prescription meds. I can tell you that we have thrown out any Benadryl in the house, and now I am left with a sick feeling that I have to watch her every second, round the clock to recognize any future seizures. The neurologist said that she has a 75% chance of having another one and that there is greater likelihood here in these first few weeks. If we make it to 6 months without a seizure we can be reasonably sure that this was a one-time deal. My daughter is very small for her age (39 pounds, 39 inches---at age 6) and has PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum as well as very mild complex partial. Since the seizures we have noticed a regression back to some earlier behaviors and physical conditions . . . more hand-flexing and difficult in stringing words into meaningful syntax. I don't know if this is just post-seizure behavior that will eventually disappear or if this is something that might linger. If anybody has any comments, please feel free to chime in. I have found some of our best health resources to be forums with people who have had similar experiences, and I'm hoping that our experience may be helpful to other families and that we might perhaps find some answers ourselves. Thanks for letting me join in here.
Whoops . . . somehow when I typed the letters "c" and "p" to abbreviate for cerebral palsy, it typed complex partial . . . which I know refers to seizures. Funny how it tried to fill in the blanks for me! Anyway, she may have had complex partial seizures this time, but I was referring to mild cerebral palsy."
Old 03-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Just read this week that high histamine was associated with magnesium deficiency.
Haven't had time to research it, but worth looking into.

Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Robin's Challenge

Knowledge is power and knowledge shared is power multiplied.
-- Bob Noyce
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator / Even Keel

Thanked 1,234 Times in 954 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Endless
My neurologist GAVE me benedryl while I was in the hospital. And we're not supposed to have it?! It was for the nasty rash I've had in reaction to some of the meds.

Well, what you all wrote above explains why I've been getting the nosebleeds ever since I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. They've been real gushers. No more antihisamines for me.

Sudafed (decongestant) made me super-hyper. I felt like I had a giant bumblebee buzzing physically in my head, and it made my body feel like I was vibrating out of my skin. I didn't sleep for 4 nights. It was awful. Won't be taking that ever again, either.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Ever since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using the CPAP machine, I have been able to use Benadryl to help me sleep. No more seizures. So when I used to get BAD seizures while taking Benadryl to sleep, it must have been because of the low oxygen in my brain due to the sleep apnea. I don't dare take Benadryl in the day though. Not worth risking.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Unhappy

I take xyzal which is an antihistamine, its supposed to be alot like Benadryl. The other night , 3 nights ago I took the antihistamine xyzal and i am now on my 3rd day of a migraine.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eve View Post:
I take xyzal which is an antihistamine, its supposed to be alot like Benadryl. The other night , 3 nights ago I took the antihistamine xyzal and i am now on my 3rd day of a migraine.
Did you try taking some Magnesium?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Yes I take Magnesium. I take 400 mg a day.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 AM

That is very low. Many doctors that I have discussed this with would say to slowly bump it up to 800 mg (spread throughout the day).

Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Robin's Challenge

Knowledge is power and knowledge shared is power multiplied.
-- Bob Noyce